Yamaha MusicCast!
Jul 3, 2022 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sure there are threads on this but I haven't seen any.

I got a Yamaha ministack a few years ago and when I tried the MusicCast Android app it insisted on location services. So I deleted the app and never used it.

I tried again this weekend and the app is amazing! I was using a node 2i on that system but since MusicCast is so good I moved it to another system.

The MusicCast app can power the device off or on, everything is integrated. There is only small number of streaming services supported- Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Deezer, maybe one or to more. But the app can also read from dlna servers, a local USB drive, USB DAC, and even control the DAB and FM tuner in my unit. Details are displayed about everything. Basically, total control of the hardware in one really nice app.

In summary, if you get a MusicCast compatible system you don't need a separate streamer, and the UI is really excellent, even better than Bluesound.

Jul 7, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 6
I use Yamaha as streamer source, with ethernet/DLNA (and airplay).

Quick response, and it is stable.
Volume level is fixed, and is not changed by controller buttons.

Musiccast app – not so much, only for initial setting of the streamer. I agree that the app is awesome.
BTW the app just got updated yesterday.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 6
Welcome to the forums :)

You are probably aware you don't need to use MusicCast just to play from dlna, you can do it without any app. I have been running this box for 5 years that was since the app was so bad when I first looked at it.

Now I use it for Tidal and Deezer and it does what it should without a separate streamer.

Jul 8, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for mentioning it, yes musiccast is useless as dlna music player. I use other app – Glider for iOS these days.

Musiccast app only for setting up the streamer.

Regarding settings, you can change more settings in web browser by typing streamer IP address.

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 6
Regarding settings, you can change more settings in web browser by typing streamer IP address.

Thanks! I'll look at that over the weekend.

Jul 10, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks, I took a quick look at this. Not much of interest on that page, I think everything is in the UI. But one very nice feature is a MAC whitelist which as far as I saw is not available in the app. This is a nice security add-on, many thanks for the tip! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back