Yamaha HPH-Pro 500 Review
Oct 28, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #106 of 139
Well, for the Pro500, I think it is linked closer to the Yamaha 1000cc MotoGP Racer YZR-M1, than to their grand piano. :->

Motegi, Japan MotoGP Race, Oct 2016:

The "Pro" in the Pro500 name does mean something, doesn't it?

I am a huge fan of Valentino Rossi. So even if the Pro500 sounds like ****, I would probably still buy it at its current discounted price. :->

Nov 10, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #107 of 139

The "Pro" in the Pro500 name does mean something, doesn't it?

I am a huge fan of Valentino Rossi. So even if the Pro500 sounds like ****, I would probably still buy it at its current discounted price. :->

is that him or her?

Nov 10, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #108 of 139
Nov 10, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #110 of 139
Has anyone in here that has experience with the Pro 500's listened to Oppo PM-3's or possibly Fostex TH00X's? I'm wondering how they compare to the 500's?  I really love how the 500's sound, their overall sound signature is almost perfect for me. The main problem I have with them is comfort for longer listening sessions. Due to the cups being small in diameter, they start to hurt my ears after an hour or so. I did stuff some cotton under the pads to make them deeper, which did help some, but I still develop discomfort after awhile. 

It's really too bad that the 500's aren't more popular on here. They really are a fantastic sounding headphone. Because of their lack of popularity, I'm having a hard time finding a similar sounding headphone that has bigger pads for increased comfort. I also like how easy they are to drive, making them very portable for on the go music. I realize the Fostex aren't great for portability, but I am still curious how they compare to the 500's. With that said I'm more interested in the Oppo's for their portability factor, but am worried they will sound too neutral compared to the 500's.

And if anyone has any other suggestions for similar sounding closed back headphones that are fairly easy to drive, and that offer more comfort I am all ears! 

I do have a Fiio E12 to power my headphones with on the go, so I do have a decent amount of power to play with.

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #111 of 139
  The main problem I have with them is comfort for longer listening sessions. Due to the cups being small in diameter, they start to hurt my ears after an hour or so. I did stuff some cotton under the pads to make them deeper, which did help some, but I still develop discomfort after awhile. 

Try the Razer Kraken ear pads, or similar deeper earpads for those cheap gamer headphones.

If you want buying similar sound signature headphones, you can try the Superlux HD631 (cheap route), or the Audio Technica WS1100 (expensive route)

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #112 of 139
  Has anyone in here that has experience with the Pro 500's listened to Oppo PM-3's or possibly Fostex TH00X's? I'm wondering how they compare to the 500's?  I really love how the 500's sound, their overall sound signature is almost perfect for me. The main problem I have with them is comfort for longer listening sessions. Due to the cups being small in diameter, they start to hurt my ears after an hour or so. I did stuff some cotton under the pads to make them deeper, which did help some, but I still develop discomfort after awhile. 

It's really too bad that the 500's aren't more popular on here. They really are a fantastic sounding headphone. Because of their lack of popularity, I'm having a hard time finding a similar sounding headphone that has bigger pads for increased comfort. I also like how easy they are to drive, making them very portable for on the go music. I realize the Fostex aren't great for portability, but I am still curious how they compare to the 500's. With that said I'm more interested in the Oppo's for their portability factor, but am worried they will sound too neutral compared to the 500's.

And if anyone has any other suggestions for similar sounding closed back headphones that are fairly easy to drive, and that offer more comfort I am all ears! 

I do have a Fiio E12 to power my headphones with on the go, so I do have a decent amount of power to play with.

ive done the pm-3 too and they arent very similar.  the 500 big powerfull punchy bass the 3 is much more delicate and nuanced.  i havent played with many Denons but you may want to look towards them and have a reed of things

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #113 of 139
I bought two V-moda Crossfade LP cables for my Pro500 today. One cable with mic and another one without:

The V-moda w/mic cable works perfectly with my Android phone. The volume +/- , and call pickup/drop buttons work perfectly.

I don't notice any sound quality difference between the cable with mic and without mic. The V-moda cables conduct better than both the stock Yamaha cables and my previous braided copper cable. I notice an increase of sound volume with the V-moda cable on the Pro500. Sound quality wise is on par with my braided copper cable.

Highly recommended for usability, sound quality upgrade for the Pro500

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #114 of 139
  I bought two V-moda Crossfade LP cables for my Pro500 today. One cable with mic and another one without:

The V-moda w/mic cable works perfectly with my Android phone. The volume +/- , and call pickup/drop buttons work perfectly.

I don't notice any sound quality difference between the cable with mic and without mic. The V-moda cables conduct better than both the stock Yamaha cables and my previous braided copper cable. I notice an increase of sound volume with the V-moda cable on the Pro500. Sound quality wise is on par with my braided copper cable.

Highly recommended for usability, sound quality upgrade for the Pro500

cable looks nice, curious theres a noticeable volume increase though i wouldnt have thought there was much impedance in the stock cable, curious.  lol now wishing i had an ohm meter to hand

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #115 of 139

cable looks nice, curious theres a noticeable volume increase though i wouldnt have thought there was much impedance in the stock cable, curious.  lol now wishing i had an ohm meter to hand

I also didn't expect that. The Pro500 is probably most convenient headphone for doing cable A-B comparison.  I plugged cables to both sides of the Pro500 and just switch cables on the DAP end.

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #116 of 139
I listened  to the Pro500 through my DX90+Arrow 4G with bass boost switch at 1st level earlier today. I was surprised by the Pro500's capability to handle sub-bass and bass  boost. It  was not the sub-bass volume  impressed me the most, but how well the Pro500 could handle sub-bass, mid bass and female vocal beautifully at the same time without each frequency "bleeding" to the others.

The track I listened to was Paula Cole's "Where have all the cowboys gone?"

I once thought the  Pro500 was only slightly better than the MT220 in term of sound quality. Now I think the Pro500 is clearly at one level above the MT220 in sound quality. I believe the MT220 cups would resonance like hell at the the sub-bass volume I played today, while the aluminum cups of the Pro500 still  give high level of clarity.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #117 of 139
I REALLY wish the ear cups on the Pro 500's were larger. On extended listening sessions they start to give me slight discomfort, it's because they are too small in overall diameter. I stuffed cotton under the pads to increase their depth, which helped a little. 

The 500's are my absolute FAVORITE headphone, I just love how they sound. I'm a basshead so I run them through my Fioo E12 with the bass boost switch activated, and the 500's throw down some serious bass. But they do it so well, tight and fast all while still delivering the boom. And the bass doesn't bleed into the mids, so they still sound fantastic. I think I've found my absolute perfect sounding headphone. But because of the comfort issues, I still find myself looking for a replacement. 

From what I've read, looks like the Fostex TH-00X is what I should consider. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #118 of 139
  I REALLY wish the ear cups on the Pro 500's were larger. On extended listening sessions they start to give me slight discomfort, it's because they are too small in overall diameter. I stuffed cotton under the pads to increase their depth, which helped a little. 

The 500's are my absolute FAVORITE headphone, I just love how they sound. I'm a basshead so I run them through my Fioo E12 with the bass boost switch activated, and the 500's throw down some serious bass. But they do it so well, tight and fast all while still delivering the boom. And the bass doesn't bleed into the mids, so they still sound fantastic. I think I've found my absolute perfect sounding headphone. But because of the comfort issues, I still find myself looking for a replacement. 

From what I've read, looks like the Fostex TH-00X is what I should consider. 

I suggest you getting these pads https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Replacement-Cushion-Kraken-Headphone/dp/B00WJFZ220/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1479662364&sr=8-7&keywords=90mm+pads for your Pro500 and enjoy.

I own the E-mu Teak, which is the better variation of the TH-X00 if you believe in Innerfidelity. I can tell you the Fostex biocellular drivers reproduce bass differently to the Pro500, with more texture but less hard hitting. All Fostex biocellular variance headphones have V shape FR, which you will find the mid recessed if you are used to the Pro500.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #119 of 139

I suggest you getting these pads https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Replacement-Cushion-Kraken-Headphone/dp/B00WJFZ220/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1479662364&sr=8-7&keywords=90mm+pads for your Pro500 and enjoy.

I own the E-mu Teak, which is the better variation of the TH-X00 if you believe in Innerfidelity. I can tell you the Fostex biocellular drivers reproduce bass differently to the Pro500, with more texture but less hard hitting. All Fostex biocellular variance headphones have V shape FR, which you will find the mid recessed if you are used to the Pro500.

Thank you SO MUCH for the link to the pads! I already added them to my cart and will place the order tonight! 

I'm very interested to hear a more detailed comparison between the E-mu and 500's. I was interested in the E-mu's as well, but chose the TH-00X's instead since they were a little less money. I was under the impression that the E-mu's would have more bass than the 500's, but you think it's the other way around? And most people say the Fostex/E-mu have great overall sound quality, along with awesome bass quantity, which is what I love about the 500's. In the basshead thread, they have the Fostex/etc ranked above the 500's as far as bass impact, and say they sound amazing overall. You are the first person I've heard to have owned both headphones. It's been tough for me since there isn't much love for the 500's on here, doesn't seem to be as popular as it should be. So comparisons of the 500's and Fostex/E-mu etc are tough to find. Care to go into more detail comparing the two? And what do you use to power them? Have you tried EQ'ing more bass out of either?

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #120 of 139

Thank you SO MUCH for the link to the pads! I already added them to my cart and will place the order tonight! 

I'm very interested to hear a more detailed comparison between the E-mu and 500's. I was interested in the E-mu's as well, but chose the TH-00X's instead since they were a little less money. I was under the impression that the E-mu's would have more bass than the 500's, but you think it's the other way around? And most people say the Fostex/E-mu have great overall sound quality, along with awesome bass quantity, which is what I love about the 500's. In the basshead thread, they have the Fostex/etc ranked above the 500's as far as bass impact, and say they sound amazing overall. You are the first person I've heard to have owned both headphones. It's been tough for me since there isn't much love for the 500's on here, doesn't seem to be as popular as it should be. So comparisons of the 500's and Fostex/E-mu etc are tough to find. Care to go into more detail comparing the two? And what do you use to power them? Have you tried EQ'ing more bass out of either?

The E-mu Teak/TH-X00 has V shape FR. So if you adjust volume control to have the same level of mid (vocal) volume on the E-mu/TH-X00 to the Pro500, the E-mu/TH-X00 will have more bass.

But to me the E-mu Teak serves different purpose to my Pro500. The E-mu Teak has too nice finish, too little sound isolation, too fragile contraction to go mobile. It always stay at home. And the E-mu Teak is my most colored headphones before my HD6XX arrives.

If you want a true upgrade to the Pro500 and still have neutral sound, I suggest the T5p 1st generation. It is available new at discounted price now. The late production T5p 1st generation aren't bass shy as the early production, and give higher resolution to the Pro500. The resolution of both the Pro500 and E-mu Teak are pretty much 2Dish. The T5p give you 3D resolution if your source gear is capable enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back