Yamaha HPH-Pro 500 Review
Aug 20, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #91 of 139
Im using it in my Ipad 3rd gen, the first one with a retina screen. It froze on me once but it hasnt happened again... and yes the Shure SRH940 really does open up the detail and resolution! Also abit of soundstage as well..

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #92 of 139
  Managed to get a brand new pair off Gumtree for $100. Why haven't I had this headphone since forever? I thought my Fidelio L2 was my favourite but these seem to wanna take the top spot. I'm burning them in still. But its just WOW for me at the moment..

lucky sod,  thats a steal.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #93 of 139
Agreed I got mine for over $330 or so back when it first came out and thought it was worth every penny. But if only I had waited, $100 is definitely a steal. These are a high-end portable IMO.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #94 of 139
Yeah it a STEAL allright! I actaully insisted on picking it up from the seller at 10 pm even tho it was very late to ensure I got the thing. Worth every penny. The guy I bought it off worked for Yamaha Australia and it was just given to them maybe as a stock clearance end of life cycle. I Think theres a new one in the works..

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #97 of 139
I received my pair of Yamaha Pro500 this afternoon. My initial impression is its frequency response is indeed very similar to the Yamaha HPH-MT220 I sold 5 months ago, but with a more relax, layered sound.

I am using it with a inexpensive braided OFC cable

It also happens that the pair of AKG K540 fabric earpads I bought previously fit the Pro500 perfectly. As the underside of the stock pads are also fabric, I don't find the pads change the sound much. The fabric pads isolate less though.

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #99 of 139
Indeed! Lots of love still for my HPH 500. Listening to Phil Collins Live album right now while they are on my noggin. "Do you remember" is A MAD track. They don't make songs like these anymore...

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #100 of 139
Just wanted to add a little love for the HPH Pro 500's. I've had my set for almost 2yrs now and they are still one of my favorite pairs of headphones. I listen to mainly old school hip-hop and EDM, and these sound absolutely fantastic with those genres. I pair my set with a Fiio E12 amp so I can really bring up the bass to POUNDING levels with the amp's bass boost activated. I'm absolutely a basshead at heart, coming from old school car audio. Even though I LOVE my bass, I still appreciate a well detailed and good sounding headphone. These Yamaha's are the best BIG bass headphones I have heard that still provide great sound quality. Only my JVC SZ2K's best my 500's in the bass department, and those are the best cans for bass out there. 

So long story short, still got lots of love for my 500's. Only gripe is I wish the ear cups were bigger in diameter.

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #101 of 139
Today I put on some pleather pads meant for Razer Kraken on the Pro500. The pads are slightly thicker than the stock pads and give slightly better support and sealing. It also darkens the sound a tiny bit.

A side note: Before I put the pads on, I used a camera lens blower to blow off (if) any dust on the Pro500 drivers. What I found was the Pro500 driver diaphragms are extremely thin in thickness (making some tiny "cracking" sound when the pressurized air was blown). The Pro500 definitely has some of the thinnest diaphragms I have ever seen from a mid price headphones. Perhaps the thin diaphragms are the reason the Pro500 sound so dynamic, yet so relax at the same time with good instrument separation.

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #103 of 139
  How difficult was the pad swap, and were you able to purchase the pads by themselves somewhere? 

The swap (spinning the pads into the Pro500's groves) probably took me 30 second per side. I bought the pads from a shop on Taobao in China. The Pro500 stock pads are 85mm in diameter. One can experiments with different pads in the same, or slightly larger (say 90mm) size.

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #104 of 139
Just finished a 2 hour listening session with the Pro500. The braided copper cable and the Razer Kraken pleather pads does improve the overall sound a bit. I would say the Pro500 is in the same level as my Grado SR325e in terms of sound quality, just slightly below my Beyer T70. Though the Pro500 has much lower amplification requirement than the T70.

Now I can understand why the list price of the Pro500 was over US$300. With the current discounted price, it is really a extremely good deal.

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #105 of 139
  Just finished a 2 hour listening session with the Pro500. The braided copper cable and the Razer Kraken pleather pads does improve the overall sound a bit. I would say the Pro500 is in the same level as my Grado SR325e in terms of sound quality, just slightly below my Beyer T70. Though the Pro500 has much lower amplification requirement than the T70.

Now I can understand why the list price of the Pro500 was over US$300. With the current discounted price, it is really a extremely good deal.

totally agree bout the price, though i think their lack of mainstream success was that they arent initialy what you might think from Yamaha, i mean they make grand pianos so you dont think hard, fast punchy bass. so those that like that probably wouldnt of thought of Yamaha as their go to brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back