Yamaha HPH-Pro 500 Review
Jun 30, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #76 of 139
So it's been about 1.5 months since I picked up my PRO500. I have no Intentions of selling them.

I still quite enjoy them finding they pair well with mainstream players, for example iPod Classic, Sansa Clip Zip (both Rockbox firmware), iPod Touch 4g etc.. When I try to throw an amp at them or my DX50, Studio V units they don't seem to benefit much, well certainly not to a point that justify the upgrade, so mine stay paired with Rockbox iPod Classic and as a slight tweak +2 on the treble from sound settings just to lift the veil slightly.

I still think they're quite a fun headphone with a specific tone you might not find common. I'd be interested what other owners use to drive them and if thier experience differs from mine.

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #77 of 139
I find the sound wonderful and equal regardless if I am using my Fostex amp/dac or my iPhone 4S. These must have been tuned really well.

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #79 of 139
  I find the sound wonderful and equal regardless if I am using my Fostex amp/dac or my iPhone 4S. These must have been tuned really well.

That's very much how I hear them navii, using an amp doesn't seem to effect them (also 'audiophile' sources). Either they're hitting a glass ceiling early and cannot benefit or were tuned purely with iPhone, iPod, iPod Touch in mind.

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #80 of 139
For PRO500 owners.

If you want to make your PRO500 sound MUCH better and have an iDevice follow these steps.

1) Install the Accudio app by Golden Ears. (there's a free trial)
2) Find PRO500 in their list of headphones and select it.
3) Choose simulator mode and have them replicate  Shure SHR940.

Then PRO500 sound VERY good, detailed, the highs come out and the veil is lifted.

Highly recommended, changes them into a completely different headphone.

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #81 of 139
anyone try amping them to their maximum power handling spec 1000mw?

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/headphones/pro-500/?mode=model

edit:  whoops, answer was right on the previous page

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #83 of 139
Managed to get a brand new pair off Gumtree for $100. Why haven't I had this headphone since forever? I thought my Fidelio L2 was my favourite but these seem to wanna take the top spot. I'm burning them in still. But its just WOW for me at the moment..

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #84 of 139
Managed to get a brand new pair off Gumtree for $100. Why haven't I had this headphone since forever? I thought my Fidelio L2 was my favourite but these seem to wanna take the top spot. I'm burning them in still. But its just WOW for me at the moment..
They are exellent but I don't like the styling, prefere the classic look of the L2 and soundwise they are not worse, only different

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #85 of 139
Yeah I think I found the 3 pairs that I'm gonna keep for a while tho! HE400i for sitting down at home, HPH500 for winter walking around (at night) Ha! and the Fidelio L2 for all other times lol!

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #86 of 139
that's interesting.  I have the pro500 and was thinking of getting the fidelio L2's....not worth it?

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #87 of 139
Im just AB-ing them now. The Fidelio L2's are worth it. Its more detailed. Micro details Im talking about. The instruments are not as in your face but its more nuanced and detailed. the cymbals shimmer more etc. For me the L2's are the headphones you can listen to all day! The HPH pro 500 is a consumer headphone done right but its just too in your face, like my grado SR225i with added bass, soundstage etc..

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #88 of 139
cheers for that.  I like the pro500's and recently picked up a pair of senn. momentum on-ear's for a good price, so enjoying those at the moment.  Will have to try H2ofidelity's idea of the Accudio app on the ipod/ipad to see if that helps too.  I go hot and cold on the pro500's - sometimes they gel with me and other times I just get tired of the way it presents the music.  They are certainly nice and easy to run out of just about anything!

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #89 of 139
Yep! Ive downloaded accudio pro $6.95 AUD I think and yeah it does open er up! Abit more sibilant to my ears ears but detail and resolution improved a lot! Actually im enjoying the Sony XBA4 HPH Pro 500 on emulation mode! Ha! thats bass is PHAT

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #90 of 139
Hmmm, have tried using accudio on my ipod touch 4th gen and it refuses to load.  It is only the trial version but I am loathe to download the pro version if it will not work on my ipod touch.  What idevice are you using?  no problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back