Yamaha HPH-MT7, New Professional Studio Monitor Headphones
Jan 19, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #31 of 63
I own both the MT-7 and MT-220 and I'm hearing the opposite. The bass on the MT-7 is very tight and pronounced to me. Loud enough that I found the MT-7's to sound a little dark compared the MT-220's. Sound wise the MT-7's sound like a combination of the hph-200's smooth mids and the MT-220's neutrality. My MT-7's aren't as bright as the MT-220's but I feel they are actually becoming brighter the more I use them. Construction wise the MT-7's are superb and I really wish Yamaha would just update the MT-220's with a better housing. I'm new to the forum so it's nice to meet you all.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #32 of 63
After spending a week of just listening to the MT-7's, I just tried on the MT-220's and I have to say wow I really love the MT-220's. I can still say the bass has more punch to it on the MT-7's but it doesn't have the clarity of the MT-220's. If Yamaha really did discontinue the MT-220's, they've made a big mistake. MT-7's are still definitely very good for their price.

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #34 of 63
Whilst u are contemplating...
Get a pair of $5Monk earbuds :)

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #36 of 63
Would you say that these are a worthy upgrade to the MT220 if i would like a bit more mids and a little less highs?
If you find the driver position of the MT-220 uncomfortable because it's closer to the ear then yes you will like the MT-7s more. The MT-7's could have the exact same sound signature but still sound darker because of the distance of the driver. The midrange is warmer and more forward with the MT-7's. So if you are a mids person you'll like these more. The MT-7's also feel more durable to me. So yes it is an upgrade to the MT-220's in build quality and aesthetics. It's also 100 dollars cheaper in it's MSRP too.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #37 of 63
Hmm. Driver distance isn't a problem because i use the Brainwavz Pads. Very recommended! Also the pads are round instead of "ear-shape" on the MT220. PLUS the drivers are angled on the MT220s so i think i'll skip them even though i would have liked more forward mids.

I really wonder if they really discontinued the MT220s because they list them in this http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=de&site=de.yamaha.com&asset_id=66324 document besides their new MT-7. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #38 of 63
Hmm. Driver distance isn't a problem because i use the Brainwavz Pads. Very recommended! Also the pads are round instead of "ear-shape" on the MT220. PLUS the drivers are angled on the MT220s so i think i'll skip them even though i would have liked more forward mids.

I really wonder if they really discontinued the MT220s because they list them in this http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=de&site=de.yamaha.com&asset_id=66324 document besides their new MT-7. 
I noticed that too and on the Yamaha site they are listed under separate categories. Yamaha may have discontinued sales in just the USA.

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #40 of 63
Head stage is similar but slightly better on MT-7. For vocals the MT-220 is better. MT-7 has better clamping force but the pads aren't as nice. The pads are nicer yet shallower on the MT-220. I don't think one is more comfortable than the other.

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #41 of 63
  HPH MT7 vs, MT220: better vocals and headstage? What about comfort?

if you want to get away all sibilance its excellent, the mt-220 is extreme, compared to the MT7,

its a lightweighter, it does boost out, and good for its stage, its more defined

the isolation is good

still it can deliver a clean and comfortable sound, still the bass, is not as good as it should could have been,

will probably be able to mod it to reflect more pronounced bass in the cups, though there are white material that filter the sound

and a half-moon, dampening cloth/filter adjusting the sound on the backside of the driver

was happy with the mt220,  can absolutely not go back, because this sounds much cleaner though, still the bass is something you want to get more of on these, you may want to try another pair to get some more, time to time

they have made improvement on all the bad sides of the mt220, but the bass is lacking and the comfort is not as good, still you can change pads, they are circular around 100 mm

if anyone finds some good pads for these 60 mm and 90 - 100 mm around for fastening the earpads, these would be really fun to listen to

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #42 of 63
First post.  I was looking up info on these headphones. 

I really like the Yamaha HS8 speakers for tracking and mixing and I'm currently using AKG 702's to check my mixes/masters and I was hoping to have something a little more similar-ish to my monitor speakers when I have to some tracking/mixing while on the road.  Are you guys using these headphones for audio engineering or more for entertainment listening? When it comes to mixing you're always going to be guessing a bit with headphones because you just can't replicate a larger speaker and especially that of a subwoofer but you can notice the things the deep lows do to the rest of the frequencies.  I'm looking for something that can get me a rough mix while I'm away and I'd finish the mix on proper monitor speakers anyways and the closed back is nice so I don't bug my wife while I'm doing all of this.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #43 of 63
The sound of headphones is soooo subjective. I tried the MT-220, and thought that they were bass heavy, and the bass wasn't just overwhelming, it was muddy, with no definition. I also thought that the headphones were a bad physical fit for me. I could barely move my head, or tilt it, without the headphones falling off. That simply won't work for me. I did like the fact that the MT-220's came closer in SPL's, to the SONY 7506's, compared to almost every other headphone I've tried lately, but that alone was not enough reason to keep them. With that in mind, would I like the MT7's? I have tried many headphones, hoping one day, I will find a closed back headphone that exceeds the fit and reproduction of the SONY 7506, but haven't found it yet. I even tried the SONY 7510, and 7520, and passed on those too. I'm pretty much ready to abandon my quest. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #44 of 63
  The sound of headphones is soooo subjective. I tried the MT-220, and thought that they were bass heavy, and the bass wasn't just overwhelming, it was muddy, with no definition. I also thought that the headphones were a bad physical fit for me. I could barely move my head, or tilt it, without the headphones falling off. That simply won't work for me. I did like the fact that the MT-220's came closer in SPL's, to the SONY 7506's, compared to almost every other headphone I've tried lately, but that alone was not enough reason to keep them. With that in mind, would I like the MT7's? I have tried many headphones, hoping one day, I will find a closed back headphone that exceeds the fit and reproduction of the SONY 7506, but haven't found it yet. I even tried the SONY 7510, and 7520, and passed on those too. I'm pretty much ready to abandon my quest. 

What source/ DAC/ amp are you using?

You are probably the first I have heard to complain about muddy bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back