Yamaha HPH-MT220 Vs. PRO 500
Feb 1, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #16 of 26
    After playing some YouTube reviews, I am beginning to think that the HPH-PRO500 is an international model, while the PRO 500 is a US model.  The PRO 500 reviewed on YouTube is reported to favor midrange and slightly lack a little in the extreme ends of the spectrum.  The YouTube reviews of the HPH-MT220 basicly suggests bass you can feel without overemphasis and treble so strong that "S" sounds sometimes are a little strong, and no emphasis in the midrange.  I can't find any new PRO 500 to try from a retailor I have trusted, so I don't think I will be trying them just to send them back.  Besides, the HPH-MT220s were within my price range, so I think I am going to put further headphones investigation to rest and give my final expopionion about the HPH-MT220.  Now that I finally started listening to my music collection, TV show collection, and movie collection on/with them, I will say that I hear a small emphasis on midrange, but great coverage as low as between 10Hz and 15Hz, and as high as 17KHz.  While I would like no emphasis or underemphosis on anything, I think almost every make and model will have that issue.  In fact, my NSAP5700BLF speakers have a little underemphosis between 30Hz and 50Hz (I call it a hole), and they have been my reference speakers for years.  So I think I'll start getting used to my HPH-MT220s.

If I am going to quickly break them in by having them playing when unattended, should I use white noise, pink noise, or brown/red noise?  Thanks.

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #17 of 26
      After playing some YouTube reviews, I am beginning to think that the HPH-PRO500 is an international model, while the PRO 500 is a US model.  The PRO 500 reviewed on YouTube is reported to favor midrange and slightly lack a little in the extreme ends of the spectrum.  The YouTube reviews of the HPH-MT220 basicly suggests bass you can feel without overemphasis and treble so strong that "S" sounds sometimes are a little strong, and no emphasis in the midrange.  I can't find any new PRO 500 to try from a retailor I have trusted, so I don't think I will be trying them just to send them back.  Besides, the HPH-MT220s were within my price range, so I think I am going to put further headphones investigation to rest and give my final expopionion about the HPH-MT220.  Now that I finally started listening to my music collection, TV show collection, and movie collection on/with them, I will say that I hear a small emphasis on midrange, but great coverage as low as between 10Hz and 15Hz, and as high as 17KHz.  While I would like no emphasis or underemphosis on anything, I think almost every make and model will have that issue.  In fact, my NSAP5700BLF speakers have a little underemphosis between 30Hz and 50Hz (I call it a hole), and they have been my reference speakers for years.  So I think I'll start getting used to my HPH-MT220s.

If I am going to quickly break them in by having them playing when unattended, should I use white noise, pink noise, or brown/red noise?  Thanks.

I believe they're the same headphone.

And that's odd. I heard from some sources that the PRO 500 has emphasized bass as well. However, the MT220 also has stronger bass response than many studio monitors, which is a good thing for me, since most of the studio monitor headphones I've used felt like the bass just wasn't there.

Pink noise, but it may not change at all with burn-in.

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #18 of 26
While I would like no emphasis or underemphosis on anything, I think almost every make and model will have that issue.  In fact, my NSAP5700BLF speakers have a little underemphosis between 30Hz and 50Hz (I call it a hole), and they have been my reference speakers for years.  So I think I'll start getting used to my HPH-MT220s.

Most bookshelf speakers will start to roll off in bass response by 50hz, if not earlier, and if ported, will often have a fast drop off below the tuning point. Many headphones (not all) will definitely have better extension.

If you want a very linear response, consider getting into Fostex T50RP headphones. Some people have managed to produce a very linear measured response with them.

I haven't seen any conclusive data that shows one type of noise is better than another.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #19 of 26
I owned both for an extensive period, I enjoyed PRO 500 more for what's it's worth. Both headphones hold some bass emphasis PRO 500 being quite a bit more. Slightly rolled off highs and thick mid-range. It was the tonality of both which made me sell, they we're too dark in the mids, veiled. There's just better clarity and detail to be had from something like Shure SRH840. But sure, they we're both decent headphones by Yamaha, just not excelling for me.

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #20 of 26
    Here is an interesting experience.  If you go back to post #1, you'll see that I also have the Pioneer SE-A1000 open-air headphones.  I love the sound accuracy of the Yamaha HPH-MT220.  So I plan on keeping them for music and whenever tonal accuracy does matter.  However, when listening to movies and TV police/FBI procedurals with them, compared to my Pioneer headphones, the Yamahas give me this effect of everything happening in a very small, closed-in area.  I'm guessing that this is resulting from the Yamaha's closed back, external sound isolation design.  Considering that there aren't many open-air 50mm headphones for $150, it looks like I'll have to use my new Yamahas for music and my Pioneers for movies and TV dramas and poliece/FBI procedurals.  Besides, people have reported the Pioneer SE-A1000 to be as good as open-air 50mm headphones costing several times more.  If I want more bass out of my SE-A1000s, I guess I could look into a portable EQ that allows me to boost frequencies below 25Hz or something.

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #21 of 26
  the Yamahas give me this effect of everything happening in a very small, closed-in area. 

I own them and this is actually one of the reasons I like them.

To put into perspective, I like Rock and metal and used to love gigging. Now when I say gigging I mean smallish local venues, not Arenas. I've had cans that are lorded for the soundstage but I personally don't like it too wide, it's like being at the back of a very large show. I'd rather be around the middle to the front, and that's where the Yamaha's put you. Also, they are a monitor after all so this kind of presentation helps with music production.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #22 of 26
I own them and this is actually one of the reasons I like them.

To put into perspective, I like Rock and metal and used to love gigging. Now when I say gigging I mean smallish local venues, not Arenas. I've had cans that are lorded for the soundstage but I personally don't like it too wide, it's like being at the back of a very large show. I'd rather be around the middle to the front, and that's where the Yamaha's put you. Also, they are a monitor after all so this kind of presentation helps with music production.

I know you're voicing your personal preference, but your post reminds me of my idea of purity.  The Yamahas would deliver whatever the sound engineers for music, movies, and TV shows want you to hear.  If they want something to be heard front and center, the Yamahas will reinforce that.  If the sound enginners want to create either a wider soundstage or stereo-surround effect for a particular moment, the Yamahas will deliver.  Thanks again for reminding me of my obsession with purity.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #23 of 26
  After I get my money back from returning headphones in a few days, I plan on getting the MT220 as well. I was stoked when I found out its price had been lowered to within my immediate range. I heard it sounds more punchy and dynamic than most studio monitor headphones, with better bass response to boot, which are intriguing benefits for me. Once I get it, I'll chime in.

How do you think the highs on the MT220 sound?

May 16, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #24 of 26
  How do you think the highs on the MT220 sound?

Wow, this thread has been buried...but guess what?! When you go to Google and type in "hph-mt220" "neutral", it's the #2 result out of 1,190 results!
ksc75smile.gif

Took me awhile, but I finally ordered the MT220 today. Will receive it on Wednesday.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #26 of 26
Hi guys, anybody can compare Yamaha HPH-MT220 with AKG K550 mk2 and AudioTechnica ATH-MRS7 ?  I am deciding between these, looking for long sessions usage for all kinds of purposes. I have decent amps. If anybody can compare these that would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back