Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Feb 25, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #3,242 of 3,295
Won't the pads from the current models fit?

I had the MT8. It should fit. But I wouldn't want to buy a headphone that costs hundreds just for its pads. And although the shape and material are similar, the MT8 pads seemed to be a bit smaller and shallower. (This is only from memory, however.)

Oddly, the stock pads on my third MT220 are a little thicker than the ones on my second MT220. I guess their quality control wasn't very stringent.

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #3,243 of 3,295
I had the MT8. It should fit. But I wouldn't want to buy a headphone that costs hundreds just for its pads. And although the shape and material are similar, the MT8 pads seemed to be a bit smaller and shallower. (This is only from memory, however.)

Oddly, the stock pads on my third MT220 are a little thicker than the ones on my second MT220. I guess their quality control wasn't very stringent.

I'm not suggesting buying a pair for its pads silly :)
But they look very similar so, as it is a current model, there's a chance we could pick up spares. The Yamaha website isn't very helpful though.
I'll wait for the m50 pads first then if I don't like them try and track down some official spares.
I am curious about the shure pads as they look very similar as well

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #3,244 of 3,295
I'm not suggesting buying a pair for its pads silly
smily_headphones1.gif

But they look very similar so, as it is a current model, there's a chance we could pick up spares. The Yamaha website isn't very helpful though.
I'll wait for the m50 pads first then if I don't like them try and track down some official spares.
I am curious about the shure pads as they look very similar as well

The reason I said it that way is because I dunno if they let you buy the pads by themselves, and I doubt they sell spare MT220 pads either. You'll have to ask 'em about it. All sorts of pads can fit on the MT220, but since they are slightly different, the MT8 pads may alter the sound.

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #3,245 of 3,295
The reason I said it that way is because I dunno if they let you buy the pads by themselves, and I doubt they sell spare MT220 pads either. You'll have to ask 'em about it. All sorts of pads can fit on the MT220, but since they are slightly different, the MT8 pads may alter the sound.

I don't think they do, at least from the info on their site. I'll try and go through my local retailer to see if they can help.

1st things 1st, if the m50 pads are good I'll report back here

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #3,246 of 3,295
P.S are you not liking them quite as much as you did the first pair?

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #3,247 of 3,295
P.S are you not liking them quite as much as you did the first pair?

It's funny you ask that, because I was just about to make a post about this very topic!

I noticed that the first MT220 I got in 2015 came with a CD-ROM with a free copy of WaveLab LE. The two I got this year (I only got two because one was defective with a rattling left driver) instead had a download code for it. So that's one difference between (what I assume to be) earlier and later production MT220s. (If anyone else who has owned multiple MT220s knows of other differences, don't hesitate to share.)

The second and third one sound slightly different from each other, but almost identical... yet not quite as good as I remember the first one did, even from the same DAC/amp model...but my memory could just be playing tricks on me. It's impossible to know without getting that exact one back and comparing directly, which obviously isn't going to happen.

The MT220 is easily my favorite closed-back headphone; that has not changed.

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #3,248 of 3,295
What do you think is different from your first pair? Mine are a couple of years old so may be a useful reference?

On a different note, anyone heard German Maestro cans? There's a pair going cheap and they've peaked my interest before, descriptions of dynamic and lively sound is very much up my street

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #3,250 of 3,295
i am using the flat hm5 hybrid pads now.  
I lost all audio vocab ..after reading so many posts over so many threads...LoL

...just buy it :p

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #3,251 of 3,295
  i am using the flat hm5 hybrid pads now.  
I lost all audio vocab ..after reading so many posts over so many threads...LoL

...just buy it :p

Have you tried the sheepskin pads? They're the only aftermarket pads I've tried so far. I'm keeping them on even though I dislike them, just to get to know them better. Since the hybrid pads are the same shape and size, I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between them. If someone who has tried them all says the hybrids are better than both the sheepskin and stock pads, I may have to try the hybrid pads too, but as of now I'm hesitant.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #3,252 of 3,295
The full leather + facial oil  seals in all the resonance n reverbs too well... ?

The velor on the hybrid leaks enuf to make it perfect for my ears. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #3,253 of 3,295
Got the cheap m50 pads and they are not bad at all. Not made any full conclusions yet but I tried one original and one m50 at the same time so I can hear the difference....they isolate better, appear a little darker with a little less air. It's not not night and day difference, still the same dynamic signature but there is a difference.
Although pretty shallow they have firmer foam so sit off the ear a little more....not a lot more but enough to make a difference

You can see how worn my old pads are

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #3,254 of 3,295
  The full leather + facial oil  seals in all the resonance n reverbs too well... ?

The velor on the hybrid leaks enuf to make it perfect for my ears. 

Could you describe the improvements (and any downsides) you hear with the hybrid pads compared to stock?

(I'm sure you've already done this, but I don't want to have to read through the entire thread.)

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #3,255 of 3,295
my stockpads had velorized, and lost somewhere in the pile of spare innards :p

On the hybrid... sounded very balanced tomyears.. no excessive resonance or distant tunnelling effect. 
Highs are behaving themselves, no shrills. Vocals are delicious....bass not bloated nor anemic.

If i press them closer to my ears...i get a reminder of the mt220 when it was brand new..bigger immersive sound,
which i had to "distant" my ears abit with diff stuffings. :p

So i am happy witih this HM5 hybrid.
Listening to this song "Tangled"...v punchy rich lively sound...dunno who this band is.. :p

( u might want to doubleside stick a circle of velor /or thin cottonwool onto the leather to test out the possible effect ?? just a tot ..haa )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back