Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Feb 24, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #3,227 of 3,295

I passed my MT220 onto my son a couple of years back and the pads look like they are due for replacement.

Been a while since I followed the thread and wondered if you guys could recommend some good 3rd party pads? Apologies if this question has been asked to death!!

Ideally looking for something that retains the stock sound as much as possible. iirc I did try some Shure SRH1840 and Brainwavz velour pads with these in the past but my recollection is that they were terrible.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Honestly I haven't found any good replacement pads for these either and my pads pleather layer weared off sometime ago. So what I did was removed the pleather layer completely and tried the naked yammie pads. But unfortunately without the pleather layer, sound signature became too thin and bright. Later I applied some sellotape around the pads to isolate the sound to make the pads somewhat hybrid. Now the sound signature is fantastic with more detailed low end and mids. But I still kinda miss the fuller low end with stock pleather pads. 

Here is a picture of my mod. Anyone with other velour pads could also try this mod with different tapes.    

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #3,228 of 3,295
:blink:

Wowzer! Mine are starting to wear out but not sure I fancy that :D

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #3,229 of 3,295
Just purchased cheap M50 pads from FleaBay so I'll see how they go

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #3,231 of 3,295
Well it's worth a shot I think, they're only cheap so no biggy. Not sure what else to try....I could try the standard HM5 pads but I think they are too thick....these need shallow pads like the original.

SRH840 pads? P/N HPAEC840......these look pretty good

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #3,232 of 3,295
Has anyone ever tried getting replacement pads directly from Yamaha?.

I still have the original pads in decent condition but I like the luxury and breathability of the real leather.

I found that after a few weeks of use they soften up and sound better but they seem to need regular use to sound their best or it could be that our brain adjusts with regular use.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #3,233 of 3,295
Well it's worth a shot I think, they're only cheap so no biggy. Not sure what else to try....I could try the standard HM5 pads but I think they are too thick....these need shallow pads like the original.

SRH840 pads? P/N HPAEC840......these look pretty good

Yep. Standatd hm5 pads are too thick imo too.  That's also the main reason why I ended up getting those cheap m50 pads like you.  Good thing is, since those pads are not expensive like sheepskin or any other Brainwavz pads you can throw them away without much frustration if you don't like them :wink: 

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #3,235 of 3,295
I already contacted Yamaha on this but since these headphones are discontinued they're not much helpful other than willing to replace them with a current model of headphone.

I talked to the audio & visual department of Yamaha USA on the phone and the guy had never even heard of the MT220.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #3,236 of 3,295

I talked to the audio & visual department of Yamaha USA on the phone and the guy had never even heard of the MT220.
biggrin.gif

Monitor headphones like the MT220 is supposed to be under their "Commercial Audio" division
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/commercial_audio/

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #3,237 of 3,295
  Monitor headphones like the MT220 is supposed to be under their "Commercial Audio" division
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/commercial_audio/

On this link, they are under the audio & visual category.
http://usa.yamaha.com/support/contact/

On this link, they are under the music production accessories category.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/accessories/headphones/

On this link, they are under the headphones category. (heh)
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/headphones/hphmt/

In other words, the divisions/categories are arbitrary and don't mean much. (But for product support in the US, headphones are under Yamaha Audio & Visual.)

Oh, and click the headphones link on your link. That particular one only lists the HPH-MT7. Their sites could use better organization.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #3,238 of 3,295
Feb 25, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #3,239 of 3,295
Honestly I haven't found any good replacement pads for these either and my pads pleather layer weared off sometime ago. So what I did was removed the pleather layer completely and tried the naked yammie pads. But unfortunately without the pleather layer, sound signature became too thin and bright. Later I applied some sellotape around the pads to isolate the sound to make the pads somewhat hybrid. Now the sound signature is fantastic with more detailed low end and mids. But I still kinda miss the fuller low end with stock pleather pads. 

Here is a picture of my mod. Anyone with other velour pads could also try this mod with different tapes.    

Thanks for the suggestion. Whilst not an ideal solution (why did Yamaha not have the good sense to sell spare pads?) I suppose it's a case of "needs must". The things we'll do for our headphones eh?

Fortunately at the moment most of the pleather flaking on my son's pads is on the outer edges so not affecting SQ at present. Suspect it may be oils from his hair that's accelerating it. But if I can't find some suitable replacement pads I'll definitely dig out the tape and give it a try! Worst case scenario I'll buy him a new pair of Yammies but it does seem a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a walnut type of solution!!

Casting my mind back now I think someone (lorspeaker perhaps?) used to talk positively about some Audio Technica 'pancake' pads. iirc they were not cheap though at circa $50 USD. Anyone else tried them?

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #3,240 of 3,295
I already contacted Yamaha on this but since these headphones are discontinued they're not much helpful other than willing to replace them with the current model of the headphone.

Won't the pads from the current models fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back