Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Feb 13, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #3,196 of 3,295
  I suppose if we were to criticize  the MT220 - it can be slightly V shaped, would others agree with this and what other areas do we think it could improve in?

You may remember that when I got my first MT220, I thought the mids were too recessed. Turns out my ears are so small that they have room to move around. When I moved my ears further to the front of the pads, the mids became more upfront.

I can do the same thing with the Focal Elear. It's darker when my ears are in the back of the pads and brighter when they're in the front. (I usually leave them in the middle.)

I stuff the back of the pads, so I already kinda have an angled pad. However, I only really do this to get the driver off my ear slightly....if they are 10mm thicker as Light - Man says then I guess there is no point.

Cheers for the info

I put gauze under the horizontal sides of the pads, which helped separate my ears from the drivers and improved the comfort and sound. I will probably buy the Brainwavz straight sheepskin leather pads and not bother with any modifications aside from that. (Unless someone wants to link me to more that aren't too difficult to implement. I remember there being many mods here, but they aren't so easy to find now.)

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #3,197 of 3,295
Thanks Man for the info, I like the idea of having a mid-centric h/p but prefer an all rounder like the MT220 as my taste in music is so varied. In this regard I recently got the Focal Listen which to me is a bit of a one trick pony and an uncomfortable one at that.

I suppose if we were to criticize  the MT220 - it can be slightly V shaped, would others agree with this and what other areas do we think it could improve in?

I reckon that PVC electrical tape might be more effective and durable than sellotape? 

Honestly I think the midrange. 612pro's beautiful neutral midrange is the star. It's definitely one of the best open neutral all-rounders you can buy without a single doubt, specifically for that stellar price. Don't get me wrong, 612 might not be a detail monster but I prefer it's midrange even over dt150.

But it's not the easiest headphone to drive. And as far as I remember it needed more power than Sennheiser 6xx and even dt150. Comfort wise velour pads are little stiff in the early days, needs little break in time imo.

For stock naked pads, first I tried those electrical tape. But the issue is after several weeks the glue on those tapes starting to liquefy and then pads will become a mess. It's really a nightmare to remove those liquefied glue. So wouldn't like to recommend those tapes anymore.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #3,198 of 3,295
@Light - Man

I know what you mean now about the MT220 being a little boring from the Chord Mojo.

I put up a classified if anyone is willing to trade away their Schiit Fulla or Fulla 2.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/836009/schiit-fulla-or-fulla-2

The sound of this MT220, although good, isn't as good as I remember my first MT220 was. I have to wonder how much production variation there is. I don't know how much of it is due to using it with a different DAC/amp.

Having a lot more experience now, I'm more easily able to hear its limitations compared to the better open headphones. It can't compare when it comes to overall sound quality. This isn't really a problem, since the MT220's specialty, for me, is impact, dynamics, energy, etc. I just gotta find the right combo to bring that out of it like I used to.

...Argh. My supposedly brand new MT220 has a slight occasional rattling in the left driver. Does anyone have any fixes? I took the pad off to see if I could blow on it and remove any hairs, but no dice. I don't want to have to send it back for a replacement.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #3,199 of 3,295
^^^ If it is new then a lot of us are convinced that 200 - ideally 250 hours burn-in makes them really sing (but I know you don't believe
wink.gif
)

If you bought it used it could have been abused, removing the drivers is very easy, the biggest hassle is replacing the pads.

The Mojo just makes the MT220 sound slow and adding fiio E12A or A5 amps to the Mojo does nothing for transparency, all IMO.

Perhaps give it a few days before deciding to sell gear.  

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #3,200 of 3,295
  ^^^ If it is new then a lot of us are convinced that 200 - ideally 250 hours burn-in makes them really sing (but I know you don't believe
wink.gif
)

If you bought it used it could have been abused, removing the drivers is very easy, the biggest hassle is replacing the pads.

The Mojo just makes the MT220 sound slow and adding fiio E12A or A5 amps to the Mojo does nothing for transparency, all IMO.

Perhaps give it a few days before deciding to sell gear.  

I never noticed any change in sound with my first MT220, and I loved it.

When I play a frequency sweep, the left driver rattles in the sub-bass. I don't know if there's something actually next to the driver interfering or if it's something wrong with the driver itself. My first MT220 had no rattling.

The most prominent peaks in the frequency sweep are around 4 kHz and a much nastier one at 7 kHz.

So what do I do once I remove the drivers? I at least need a screwdriver to unscrew it and get in there. But I don't know what to do after that.

Putting the pads back on is easy.

I never said anything about selling gear.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #3,201 of 3,295
Just have a look-see and if there there is anything lose in side - and during reassembly make sure the driver is seated properly and screws tightened evenly.

The felt pad behind the driver on mine was a fairly dense but in the earlier models (I think ?) the felt was fairly flimsy and therefore fairly useless and hence may benefit from changing to something denser or perhaps the sorb mod?

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #3,202 of 3,295
  Just have a look-see and if there there is anything lose in side - and during reassembly make sure the driver is seated properly and screws tightened evenly.

The felt pad behind the driver on mine was a fairly dense but in the earlier models (I think ?) the felt was fairly flimsy and therefore fairly useless and hence may benefit from changing to something denser or perhaps the sorb mod?

Alrighty! Guess I'll wing it. But er...which specific type of screwdriver do I need?

The MT220 is still easily the best closed-back I've heard.

I just plugged it into the headphone outputs of my laptop, using the onboard DAC, and it sounds pretty good this way too. But the Fulla did something that made it sound more exciting, especially with the bass.

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #3,204 of 3,295
  A small Phillips screwdriver (AKA cross head) and don't over tighten - best of luck bro! 
tongue.gif

Lucky me! I just happened to have the right size right next to me.

I opened it up, but I can't get to the actual driver. There are only two layers of screws: one to remove the layer under the pad and the other to remove the rear cover that doesn't show you much.

There was nothing to even adjust. I put the screws back on and it still rattles. Now what?

Update: I removed the driver enclosure again, this time while playing a frequency sweep. The fabric (on the back area of the frame) is not related, because I can hear the driver rattling in the sub-bass. How do I get to the driver itself? I can't do that just with the two layers of screws.

Update:

Amazon is very helpful. They're letting me keep the defective pair until I receive a replacement pair.

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #3,206 of 3,295
Can anyone link me to the sorbothane needed for the sorb mod ? That u can buy in Europe like amazon.Co.uk

I used these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042U8P9C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i cut a bit off the edges to fit

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #3,208 of 3,295
Feb 14, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #3,209 of 3,295
I remember one guy said the sorb mod was not good for him - it could have been Wayne?

The only undisputed mod so far is the straight sheepskin leather pads?????????????????????????? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back