Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Feb 9, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #3,181 of 3,295

It does not bother me which part of the sheeps Ass the leather comes from or indeed the sheeps nationality but these hm5 pads were made for the MT220 - they really make it sing. 
wink.gif

I recently had the Beyers T1 Gen 2 and I found myself reaching for the MT220's most of the time! 

Can you expand on those two going against each other. What kind of music did you have playing while comparing and what were they hooked up to? Both those cans are on my list moving forward so details please :) . I didn't think the mt220 could even be mentioned in same sentence as t1 usually battles the big slayers in the game. The heavyweights.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #3,182 of 3,295

Can you expand on those two going against each other. What kind of music did you have playing while comparing and what were they hooked up to? Both those cans are on my list moving forward so details please :) . I didn't think the mt220 could even be mentioned in same sentence as t1 usually battles the big slayers in the game. The heavyweights.

I try my best not to talk much sense but it is the sheer musicality, energy and dynamics of the MT220 that wins out most of the time.

I was using my Hidizs AP100 DAP and the Chord Mojo (since gone) and also Fiio E12A & A5 (gone) amps but I could never get the excitement and realism with the T1.2 that I can get with the MT220.

Some say that the T1.2 needs a serious desktop amp to really sing but others think the Mojo pairing is good.

I also found that open or semi-open cans are not practical for me and for domestic peace. 

p.s. I also have the Focal Listen that I feel is not a patch on the MT220 and will be returning it.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #3,183 of 3,295
I like how the thread came to life again after I brought up pads.
biggrin.gif

I am also curious how the Brainwavz and MrSpeakers leather pads compare.

As others have mentioned rather often here, the advantage of the MT220 is that it's very energetic, dynamic, impactful, and just sounds so alive. Typical audiophile headphones are not like this and are too laid-back. (This is regardless of EQ.)

I've owned/heard some of the best (see profile) and not many compare to the MT220 in these areas even when they outperform it in transparency, speed, detail, imaging, and so on. That's why I bought another MT220 even though I own the Elear.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #3,184 of 3,295
  I like how the thread came to life again after I brought up pads.
biggrin.gif

I am also curious how the Brainwavz and MrSpeakers leather pads compare.

As others have mentioned rather often here, the advantage of the MT220 is that it's very energetic, dynamic, impactful, and just sounds so alive. Typical audiophile headphones are not like this and are too laid-back. (This is regardless of EQ.)

I've owned/heard some of the best (see profile) and not many compare to the MT220 in these areas even when they outperform it in transparency, speed, detail, imaging, and so on. That's why I bought another MT220 even though I own the Elear.

For a low low price of 60 american bones your curiosity can be solved and you can tell us.

And i don't have much doubt about this mt220, as not only your impressions, but impressions all over the net say this is a special can.

And the look of it grows on me everytime i see it :D

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,185 of 3,295
  For a low low price of 60 american bones your curiosity can be solved and you can tell us.

And i don't have much doubt about this mt220, as not only your impressions, but impressions all over the net say this is a special can.

And the look of it grows on me everytime i see it :D

You mean $100 for both of those pads.
ph34r.gif

Yeah, I love the way it looks and feels. That metal is reassuring too.

If you buy it, you may want to go with amazon.co.uk, as the price is much lower there than most other sources.

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #3,186 of 3,295
So I tried the Brainwavz HM5 Velour Standard pads and installed them on the MT220 and I must say, it was terrible. I ensured a proper installation, unless there is a particular "direction" it needs to be installed in?

It ruins the characteristics of the MT220 IMO. 

Thoughts on this? I heard nearly everyone say they were great.

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #3,187 of 3,295
  So I tried the Brainwavz HM5 Velour Standard pads and installed them on the MT220 and I must say, it was terrible. I ensured a properly installation unless there is a particular "direction" it needs to be installed in?

Most people use the pleather or sheepskin leather. I've heard bad things about velour in general.

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #3,188 of 3,295
So I tried the Brainwavz HM5 Velour Standard pads and installed them on the MT220 and I must say, it was terrible. I ensured a proper installation, unless there is a particular "direction" it needs to be installed in?

Yup the valour sucked, sucked the bass right out of it. If you think of the material itself I guess that's not surprising.

I'd like to try both the sheepskin and hybrids.....angled versions

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #3,190 of 3,295

I heard the straight versions are better since the drivers are already angled...or something like that.

I would agree with that view, before I bought my sheepskin I deliberated but went for the straight.

I said it on here before that because the straight sheepskin push the driver about 10 mm further away from the ear (compared to the stock) - this allows the already angled driver more distance for the angle to take effect.

I also remember someone saying that they used deeper pads (could have been Mr Speaker leather for $80 US ?) and they said that it messed up the sound.

I am happy with straight sheepskin and am looking no further.

Has anyone tried the AKG K612PRO headphone as it is on special on Amazon UK for £88 (but is out of stock) ?

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #3,191 of 3,295

Has anyone tried the AKG K612PRO headphone as it is on special on Amazon UK for £88 (but is out of stock) ?

I have 612pro. It's a great neutral all rounder. If you are into mid-centric music, its a fantastic option with great linear bass extension.  But for modern edm music genres, it doesn't have the speed or attack like mt220...    

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #3,192 of 3,295

Yes. It completely ruins yammie's sound signature and making it too airy and bright... But if you can use some kind of sellotape around the pads to isolate the sound, then the bass will become more prominent and sound signature will become way less bright and airy.. Not sure that mod would work with HM5 velours, but it surely did work with my naked yammie pads and bass is now more detailed and less boomier. And I prefer that sound signature over stock pleather yammie pads. But I still kinda miss that fuller low end.    

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #3,193 of 3,295

I have 612pro. It's a great neutral all rounder. If you are into mid-centric music, its a fantastic option with great linear bass extension.  But for modern edm music genres, it doesn't have the speed or attack like mt220...    

Thanks Man for the info, I like the idea of having a mid-centric h/p but prefer an all rounder like the MT220 as my taste in music is so varied. In this regard I recently got the Focal Listen which to me is a bit of a one trick pony and an uncomfortable one at that.

I suppose if we were to criticize  the MT220 - it can be slightly V shaped, would others agree with this and what other areas do we think it could improve in?

I reckon that PVC electrical tape might be more effective and durable than sellotape? 

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #3,194 of 3,295
I heard the straight versions are better since the drivers are already angled...or something like that.

I stuff the back of the pads, so I already kinda have an angled pad. However, I only really do this to get the driver off my ear slightly....if they are 10mm thicker as Light - Man says then I guess there is no point.

Cheers for the info

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #3,195 of 3,295
I suppose if we were to criticize  the MT220 - it can be slightly V shaped, would others agree with this and what other areas do we think it could improve in?

I do sort of. I don't think the mids are sucked out at all.... I listen to Rock/Metal mostly and guitars sound impactful with great bite and texture....a true V-shaped can never does guitars in this way....that's my thoughts anyway.

It probably has stronger bass and treble impact though, so in that respect it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back