Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Aug 19, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #3,031 of 3,295
Okay I think the X00s are technically better, but the coloration the MT220 provides could make for a more enjoyable listening experience. The X00s are maybe 20-30% technically better tops, mainly in terms of airiness, weightiness, and resolution. They also are ever so slightly less sibilant.

So I think in that respect the X00s are not a substantial upgrade to the MT220s. Yes, an upgrade but I don't think anything worth longing for. They also offer different sound signatures, but not super different. EQ can bring them pretty close.

I think the MT220s are just a tad too intimate and forward but the X00s are definitely too laid back for me.

I'll wait to break in the X00s for another 100 hours before further comments. That might take a week or two.

I'm not 100% sure how the PHs compare to the Mahoganies, I just know that overall they are better but only slightly. The Ebony model soon to release is supposed to also be slightly better than both of these. I know that the X900s are technically better than the PHs but they have weaknesses that make it quite a compromise to pick either over the other, considering the price. 

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #3,033 of 3,295
  Just got ATH-MSR7 and briefly compared with MT220. Here is very quick comparison.

Bass : MT220 > MSR7 (MSR7 has tight bass but I prefer MT220's liquid bass)
Mid: MSR7 > MT220 (MSR7 has more mid forwarded and hear clearer vocal.
Treble: Even. (MSR7 has better clarity and extends further so ideal for critical listening but a bit fatiguing. MT220 has also clear high but smoother so better for longer listening session).
Comfort: MT220 > MSR7 (MSR7 has smaller earcups and headband press harder so MT220 is much more comfortable.
Sound Leak: MT220 > MSR7 (To my surprise, MT220 leaks less sound at same volume. MSR7 has air vent on top of each ear cup and leaks sound when volume gets above certain level).

I just wish that there is a mod that I can swivel earcup to 90 degrees and make it detachable cable on MT220 instead so it can be more portable. Then, it would be perfect.  

I see that you are selling your 220's:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/817026/price-drop-yamaha-hph-mt220-headphone

That's a great deal. Someone should scoop them up!

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #3,034 of 3,295

How has it been up for over a week (and at that price) without getting snatched up?!
eek.gif

I don't think Head-Fi realizes how awesome this headphone is...

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #3,035 of 3,295

How has it been up for over a week (and at that price) without getting snatched up?!
eek.gif

I don't think Head-Fi realizes how awesome this headphone is...

Thank you... Yes, I also do not understand... I believe that this headphone is very under-rated and not very known somehow... 
confused.gif

If this was more portable, I would not sell it but my situation is changed and I only listen on the go so portability is important for me at the moment..  

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #3,036 of 3,295
  Thank you... Yes, I also do not understand... I believe that this headphone is very under-rated and not very known somehow... 
confused.gif

If this was more portable, I would not sell it but my situation is changed and I only listen on the go so portability is important for me at the moment..  

Too bad I'm cashless and there's no way you'd want any of my stuff in a trade.
frown.gif

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #3,037 of 3,295

Thank you... Yes, I also do not understand... I believe that this headphone is very under-rated and not very known somehow... :confused:   

Too bad I'm cashless and there's no way you'd want any of my stuff in a trade. :frowning2:

Sorry. No trade :)

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #3,039 of 3,295
Did anyone else buy a brand new pair of these? Anyone notice burn in making a difference?

I bought a new pair, and I feel like these keep getting better. These are really solid headphones.

Still also looking at potentially trying some hybrid pads on them, but IDK if it is worth it, the stock pads are pretty good.

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #3,040 of 3,295
  Did anyone else buy a brand new pair of these? Anyone notice burn in making a difference?

I've owned around 50 headphones and never experienced burn-in. (Not even brain burn-in!) The closest thing I did experience was ear pad break-in.

And yes, my MT220 was brand new. When I first started posting in this thread, I was worried about the mids being too recessed, and some people mentioned that burn-in could fix that. Never happened for me. Fortunately, all I needed to do (as I've said many times) was move my small-ish ears to the front of the pads to improve the mids.

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #3,041 of 3,295
Interesting.

For me, there's not much room to move my ears inside the cups.

When I pull the headphone back, the bump on the driver touches my ears and it is really uncomfortable.

I'm used to headphones with more recessed mids, so I find these pretty good.

To me, these sound nicely balanced with some really nice lower bass extension.

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #3,042 of 3,295
When I pull the headphone back, the bump on the driver touches my ears and it is really uncomfortable.

Yeah, the drivers touched my ears at times too. Did you try putting any material under the left and right sides of the pads yet? That increases the distance of your ears from the drivers, which can improve both the comfort and sound. I used gauze. The right amount worked well, but too much just made it sound worse.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #3,045 of 3,295
Guess I'll share some music I especially enjoyed with the MT220 too!

The CDs sound better than YouTube, so don't judge the sound quality by what you hear here. 20 tracks, so I'm putting them in a spoiler to prevent your browser from crashing. lol. This is just a tiny sample. I listen to nearly all types of music but didn't include much acoustic material because STAX kills the MT220 there and I wanted to showcase tracks the MT220 can be more enjoyable with, which tends to be stuff with more bass, impact, energy and so on.

MT220 freaks: you'll want to spend some time with this post.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back