Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Aug 8, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #2,986 of 3,295

Although I never bothered equalizing the MT220, I am a proponent of extensive EQ with the goal of getting a more accurate frequency response across the spectrum. I don't know of anyone who has done this with the MT220, but it would be interesting if you did. I'll link you to some good guides, in case you'd like to try.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/796791/the-most-reliable-easiest-way-to-eq-headphones-properly-to-achieve-the-most-ideal-sound-for-non-professionals
http://www.head-fi.org/t/794467/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-2016-update
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

I've been interested in this, but despite how easy people make it sound, it is actually quite an undertaking to do right, plus there is disagreement as to what the goals and best methodology should be. I have been chatting with Joe Bloggs a little, but I think I drove him nuts with my questions. I have the Sinegen, good parametric EQs, audio analyzer, but the I still don't know how to do the FM volume corrective curve which Joe Bloggs suggests should run concurrently with your corrective curve. I will keep at it and maybe screw up the nuts to take this on. I have little time it seems for listening to music so when I get the time I tend to just listen. Still, I think the MT 220 would benefit from a corrective EQ as it seems to have lots of potential.

Aug 9, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #2,987 of 3,295
Is there no automatic EQ system for headphones yet that uses a microphone? This one (for speakers/room) works pretty perfect on my Yamaha Receiver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwMsv7-dnpc

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #2,988 of 3,295
  Is there no automatic EQ system for headphones yet that uses a microphone? This one (for speakers/room) works pretty perfect on my Yamaha Receiver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwMsv7-dnpc

Even if there was, it wouldn't account for personal HRTF and the various compensation curves.

(I know some people are working on such a thing, but I haven't seen it for sale as of yet.)

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #2,989 of 3,295
Guys, I think something like the Hidizs AP100 (DAP) pairs very well with the MT220 and there is no need to EQ.

I always try to avoid EQ's even though the AP100 has a a good hardware EQ which some people like but I think it just fluffs-up the sound and is too much hassle.
atsmile.gif

Aug 9, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #2,990 of 3,295
  Guys, I think something like the Hidizs AP100 (DAP) pairs very well with the MT220 and there is no need to EQ.

I always try to avoid EQ's even though the AP100 has a a good hardware EQ which some people like but I think it just fluffs-up the sound and is too much hassle.
atsmile.gif

I hear you, EQ can be a pain to do right, but it doesn't just fluff up the sound, it actually works. Ever song you here that was recorded was extensively EQ in the studio and mastering so I propose that equalizing is a legitimate technique that can yield real benefits. The tiny change I made to the signal going to the MT220 really improved it as without a doubt the bass had some bloat that needed to be cleaned up. I love the MT220, but it is not neutral in the bass.

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #2,991 of 3,295
Yes, the measurements prove that the MT220 is very bass-heavy and not neutral at all in the bass. What's nice about it in this instance is that it still has really good clarity and impact across the spectrum, and the extra bass works to its advantage with lots of modern music. The M50x, which has a similarly overwhelming quantity of bass, sounds weak and muddy in comparison.

If you like the sound of a headphone, you may not feel the need to do any equalization, but EQ can work wonders for even the most accurate headphones. Those EQ guides I linked to also touch upon the fact that the measurements can be misleading, and there are more irregularities to deal with beyond the measured frequency response.

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #2,992 of 3,295
  Yes, the measurements prove that the MT220 is very bass-heavy and not neutral at all in the bass. What's nice about it in this instance is that it still has really good clarity and impact across the spectrum, and the extra bass works to its advantage with lots of modern music. The M50x, which has a similarly overwhelming quantity of bass, sounds weak and muddy in comparison.

If you like the sound of a headphone, you may not feel the need to do any equalization, but EQ can work wonders for even the most accurate headphones. Those EQ guides I linked to also touch upon the fact that the measurements can be misleading, and there are more irregularities to deal with beyond the measured frequency response.

My big issue with the EQ tuning guides is that unless I'm mistaken they may suffer from a significant flaw, tuning by ear. For instance, so I have Joe Bloggs video where he bakes in the volume contour based on the F&M research right into his 20Hz to 20kHz sine sweep. The instructions say if a frequency is too loud, turn it down, if one is too quiet turn it up. How does one judge too loud? For instance, we will perceive mid bass frequencies as sounding louder than say 8kHz. So which one is the reference? I may just be missing something, but it seems to me unless you know which frequency is the best to use as a reference the notion of comparing volume by ear is potentially problematic.

I may just be misunderstanding things, that is also quiet possible. Is it that his video with the baked in loudness contour already takes this into account and at that point I could pick any frequency as my comparator and go from there?

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #2,993 of 3,295
  My big issue with the EQ tuning guides is that unless I'm mistaken they may suffer from a significant flaw, tuning by ear. For instance, so I have Joe Bloggs video where he bakes in the volume contour based on the F&M research right into his 20Hz to 20kHz sine sweep. The instructions say if a frequency is too loud, turn it down, if one is too quiet turn it up. How does one judge too loud? For instance, we will perceive mid bass frequencies as sounding louder than say 8kHz. So which one is the reference? I may just be missing something, but it seems to me unless you know which frequency is the best to use as a reference the notion of comparing volume by ear is potentially problematic.

I may just be misunderstanding things, that is also quiet possible. Is it that his video with the baked in loudness contour already takes this into account and at that point I could pick any frequency as my comparator and go from there?

I would advise going through all of those guides and experimenting. There are various ways of going about it.

I think the only way you would be able to pull off effective EQ without tuning by ear is if you had a really nice measuring rig.

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #2,994 of 3,295

I would advise going through all of those guides and experimenting. There are various ways of going about it.

I think the only way you would be able to pull off effective EQ without tuning by ear is if you had a really nice measuring rig.

So then you agree, that the different frequencies may by their vary nature sound like the amplitude is different simply because they are different. I think I am mistaken here as I'm sure Joe mentioned controlling for this by baking in the F&M compensation right into the video. I have an audio analyzer plug-in installed in JRiver MC 20. When I run the sweep the amplitude line just moves across the screen and stay even at the top amplitude of 0db, never dropping. I'm not sure if it is just not configured correctly, but of course some of the frequencies seem louder despite the analyzer not showing any change in amplitude at the peak.

As well, I assume the differences are more likely personal so if I'm less sensitive at 7kHz and more at 7.6kHz I will hear the tone of 7.6kHz as louder and that is the tone I should pull down for instance. This means that we need to do it at different times of the day and find the consistent sweet spot, plus as our hearing changes over time we would need to recalibrate it. I think fundamentally this is just a fairly complicated process with a great deal of variables that are difficult to control for. For instance, my left ear seems to be stronger so listening with just that ear is different and when I listen to both at once I will perceive amplitude changes that are actually ear dependent sensitivity changes. I can't imagine how complex it would be to actually tune by ear like this. Maybe I'm misunderstanding things and greatly over complicating the whole affair.

Aug 10, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #2,995 of 3,295
Got them today!

I've been enjoying them for a few hours since I got off work. They sound great. There is warmth, good detail, and to my ears, a nicely balanced sound signature.

There is warmth down low, but there is sparkle up top, too.

The bass is nice. I actually thought there might be a bit more based on some descriptions, but it's a good quantity for me, not over-done. 

I was worried the pads might get uncomfortable and hot (I tend to prefer velour in general) but I am happy to say they are comfortable, soft ear pads. 

I'm not sure I was blown away by any particular aspect of the sound, but rather, the overall response and balance is what's pleasing to me on these.

Also, while the soundstage is not massive, I feel that it is well "filled in" so to speak. Their sound is immersive, like the music is surrounding me.

Aug 10, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #2,996 of 3,295
  Got them today!

I've been enjoying them for a few hours since I got off work. They sound great. There is warmth, good detail, and to my ears, a nicely balanced sound signature.

There is warmth down low, but there is sparkle up top, too.

The bass is nice. I actually thought there might be a bit more based on some descriptions, but it's a good quantity for me, not over-done. 

I was worried the pads might get uncomfortable and hot (I tend to prefer velour in general) but I am happy to say they are comfortable, soft ear pads. 

I'm not sure I was blown away by any particular aspect of the sound, but rather, the overall response and balance is what's pleasing to me on these.

Also, while the soundstage is not massive, I feel that it is well "filled in" so to speak. Their sound is immersive, like the music is surrounding me.

I love bass, I found the TH 600 just enough, but trust me, try some gentle EQ cuts. There is certainly bass bloat that can be greatly minimized with very little to no impact on the overall bass impact and quantity. It will just sound even more balanced and articulate while still having slam and drive.

Aug 10, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #2,997 of 3,295
I appreciate the tips - I'll see how I like them both ways.

The thing is - I'm actually probably fairly slanted towards the bass-head side of the spectrum.

Basically all my current headphones (Pro 900, DT-51i, DT770, EPH-100, Aurvana Live) and all the other ones I've typically liked could be classified as having bass north of neutral.

This makes sense to me because I listen to mostly electronic stuff and modern music with a strong beat.

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #2,999 of 3,295
I've found another factor when EQ'ing headphones that screws everything up-ear canal and pinnae size.

I built a binaural microphone. Recorded over 40 headphones and analyzed frequency responses:

My first design had much smaller pinnae and ear canals:

But when I switched to my present design, with larger pinnae and deeper ear canals, not only did the frequency responses for all 40 plus headphones change, but there were also soundstage differences. 

This could explain why people have different preferences with headphones, or why someone hears one totally different from someone else. 
I know there are custom IEMs that address this issue, but I never cared much about them. May be something I'll look into in the future........

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #3,000 of 3,295
  I've found another factor when EQ'ing headphones that screws everything up-ear canal and pinnae size.

I built a binaural microphone. Recorded over 40 headphones and analyzed frequency responses:

My first design had much smaller pinnae and ear canals:

But when I switched to my present design, with larger pinnae and deeper ear canals, not only did the frequency responses for all 40 plus headphones change, but there were also soundstage differences. 

This could explain why people have different preferences with headphones, or why someone hears one totally different from someone else. 
I know there are custom IEMs that address this issue, but I never cared much about them. May be something I'll look into in the future........

You probably remember what I said in the past about the mids of the MT220 changing for me depending on where my ears were in the pads. In the middle or back, the mids were too recessed, but when I moved my ears to the front, the mids became more upfront as well. I have smaller ears. Those with larger ears did not notice a difference at all with this, because there wasn't room for their ears to move around inside the pads.

One headphone that did not change no matter where I placed my ears was the HD 800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back