Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Mar 10, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #2,806 of 3,295
@waynes world
is night hawk warmer than mt220 ? what about smoothness of micro dynamics / details ?
witch headphone is more revealing ? i don't mean hearing how chair squeeze or how fingers touch guitar string, but rather what headphone gets you more emotionaly involved in music and give you insight of " mode or humor " of the song ...

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #2,807 of 3,295
havent touched  the mt220 for a month...becos of the MONK..LoL.

Plugged in the yammie  at a low vol, and tot the sound is kinda "stucked in the cups"..duhzzz.

then i cranked up the vol....
and the yammie came back to LIFE...
this is the yammiesound that i loved.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #2,808 of 3,295
  @waynes world
is night hawk warmer than mt220 ? what about smoothness of micro dynamics / details ?
witch headphone is more revealing ? i don't mean hearing how chair squeeze or how fingers touch guitar string, but rather what headphone gets you more emotionaly involved in music and give you insight of " mode or humor " of the song ...

I'm not with either of them at the moment, so I'll double check what I'm saying in a few days. But based on my non-golden ears, the nighthawks are warmer, and have smoother details. The mt220's come across as being more revealing in that the details are more apparent, but I think that the nighthawks are as revealing and the details are there, just not as forward. It makes them less fatiguing for long term listening. As far as getting emotionally involved is concerned, both are wonderful, but the winner for me are the nighthawks - there is something very addicting about them. The imaging, layering, dynamics, musicality and non-fatiguing highs work very well for me. Oh, and incredibly comfortable.

havent touched  the mt220 for a month...becos of the MONK..LoL.

Plugged in the yammie  at a low vol, and tot the sound is kinda "stucked in the cups"..duhzzz.

then i cranked up the vol....
and the yammie came back to LIFE...
this is the yammiesound that i loved.

You still going on about those ridiculous $5 earbuds? Hmmm - I have 3 pairs of them. Pot calling the kettle black syndrome in effect!

Yes, pump up the volume of the mt220's and it's a glorious thing! :)

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #2,809 of 3,295
Any opinions on the different earpads people have been discussing lately? The angled velour, alpha/mad dogs, etc.

Keen to hear how this has adjusted the sound signature.....Thanks

Mar 12, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #2,812 of 3,295
  @appsmarsterx 

Can you compare K612 and MT220, please?

Thanks in advance

612 and mt220 both are excellent neutral all-rounders. due to the open nature, 612pro has more bigger airy presentation and mt220 has an  intimate up-front presentation, but that dramatically changes depends on the earpad you use.. If you want more open presentation like 612pro you can use a brainwavz velour pad, but it will give you a more leaner presentation which some might not prefer.  If you are a bass perfectionist like me then you might prefer the stock pleather earpads. Overall with stock yammie earpads you'll get a fuller more detailed bass presentation when compared to 612's leaner presentation. but both have same kind of deeper bass extension... 

Neutral midrange is excellent on both cans and mt220 could probably be more refined, detailed here, but sometimes I prefer the lifelike open presentation of the 612 for vocals.  To me, highs are not fatiguing or bright on these headphones with their stock setup, still mt220 can sometimes little brighter and highs can be little more revealing depending on your setup, but I still think yammies have more smoother less grainy treble presentation here.

Overall mt220 has more attack, speed which is excellent for rendering complex bass textures in modern genres like in EDM..  612pro is also fast but has a leaner open presentation.

612pro is in the other hand very hard to drive, needs lots of power, but mt220 can be driven with most of the portable devices with ease, but both cans will greatly benefit from a great source. 

Overall, I think mt220 is the technically more capable headphone with more detailed presentation and it clearly is my favorite headphone between these two, but that could be changed depending on your music preference. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #2,813 of 3,295

612 and mt220 both are excellent neutral all-rounders. due to the open nature, 612pro has more bigger airy presentation and mt220 has an  intimate up-front presentation, but that dramatically changes depends on the earpad you use.. If you want more open presentation like 612pro you can use a brainwavz velour pad, but it will give you a more leaner presentation which some might not prefer.  If you are a bass perfectionist like me then you might prefer the stock pleather earpads. Overall with stock yammie earpads you'll get a fuller more detailed bass presentation when compared to 612's leaner presentation. but both have same kind of deeper bass extension... 

Neutral midrange is excellent on both cans and mt220 could probably be more refined, detailed here, but sometimes I prefer the lifelike open presentation of the 612 for vocals.  To me, highs are not fatiguing or bright on these headphones with their stock setup, still mt220 can sometimes little brighter and highs can be little more revealing depending on your setup, but I still think yammies have more smoother less grainy treble presentation here.

Overall mt220 has more attack, speed which is excellent for rendering complex bass textures in modern genres like in EDM..  612pro is also fast but has a leaner open presentation.

612pro is in the other hand very hard to drive, needs lots of power, but mt220 can be driven with most of the portable devices with ease, but both cans will greatly benefit from a great source. 

Overall, I think mt220 is the technically more capable headphone with more detailed presentation and it clearly is my favorite headphone between these two, but that could be changed depending on your music preference. 

Thank you very much for your detailed review!

As the last question, Is there a huge difference between K612 and MT220 (with stock pads or with Brainwavz pads) soundstage & imaging?

I mostly listen to Dark Ambient music and it needs both bass extension & impact and soundstage & imaging. I own DT770 and they can't portrait the atmosphere of the music at all. On the other hand, my Samson SR850 has better soundstage & imaging capabilities, but its bass response isn't suitable for conveying the feeling of the music.

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #2,814 of 3,295
  Thank you very much for your detailed review!

As the last question, Is there a huge difference between K612 and MT220 (with stock pads or with Brainwavz pads) soundstage & imaging?

I mostly listen to Dark Ambient music and it needs both bass extension & impact and soundstage & imaging. I own DT770 and they can't portrait the atmosphere of the music at all. On the other hand, my Samson SR850 has better soundstage & imaging capabilities, but its bass response isn't suitable for conveying the feeling of the music.

yes. there will be huge difference depending on the Brainwavz pad you use. as an example you'll get a more airy, leaner presentation if you use a velour pad. anyway, with the stock yammie pads I don't think you'll get that desired  soundstage and imaging for your music preference.  why not use a headphone with more warmer, darker presentation  ?  btw, can you post some sample tracks here, so we might be able to test those out with different cans ?

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #2,815 of 3,295

why not use a headphone with more warmer, darker presentation  ?

Unfortunately, after testing and owning many headphones, I haven't found a headphone in sub 200$ price range that has most of my desired factors in a headphone. I have heard/owned some headphones like DT770, DT880, T90, HD558, HD598, MSR-7, M50 and none of them wasn't what I was looking for. The only headphone that I liked was T1. It wasn't perfect to my ears but I think it was quite good. I hope K612 or MT220 be close to my desired headphone.

btw, can you post some sample tracks here, so we might be able to test those out with different cans ?

Thanks for your kindness.

Here you are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tzroQF-U9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v01q0zi3Pg&list=PLjinT9VYUjb_Mg8Z5ezDI-TOmaB2GAuA3

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #2,816 of 3,295

Here you are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v01q0zi3Pg&list=PLjinT9VYUjb_Mg8Z5ezDI-TOmaB2GAuA3

I've been listening to the two songs you linked and on the YouTube versions they sound like just poorly produced/recorded songs. Soundstage and imaging is minimal and just poor choices of keyboards and sounds. I was amazed at the amount of distortion on some of the sounds; as a professional engineer I'm very curious about what they recorded with.

I'm listening on $1500 Ether C headphones and a a Feliks Audio Elise, which is my best soundstage/analytical setup. As I switch to the Yamaha MT220s I get much more bass impact, but I also hear more of the low end distortion that I couldn't hear on the Ether Cs because of the rolled off bass. 

Don't get me wrong I love the vibe even though it scares the crap out of me, but it's not going to make a difference whether you listen to those two particular songs on $50 headphones or $50000 headphones, you're not going to get clarity and soundstage out of those two songs because those qualities are just not present in the recording. 

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #2,817 of 3,295
Unfortunately, after testing and owning many headphones, I haven't found a headphone in sub 200$ price range that has most of my desired factors in a headphone. I have heard/owned some headphones like DT770, DT880, T90, HD558, HD598, MSR-7, M50 and none of them wasn't what I was looking for. The only headphone that I liked was T1. It wasn't perfect to my ears but I think it was quite good. I hope K612 or MT220 be close to my desired headphone.

Here you are:

just heard both tracks. imo mt220 is much more capable of rendering deep bass notes with excellent impact here. it had great rumbling presentation. in the other hand 612 had leaner bass presentation, I couldn't feel that bass energy, impact with 612 like I did with yammies. but still you might not satisfied with mt220's soundstage unless you planning to replace/modify its stock pads later.

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #2,818 of 3,295

I've been listening to the two songs you linked and on the YouTube versions they sound like just poorly produced/recorded songs. Soundstage and imaging is minimal and just poor choices of keyboards and sounds. I was amazed at the amount of distortion on some of the sounds; as a professional engineer I'm very curious about what they recorded with.

I'm listening on $1500 Ether C headphones and a a Feliks Audio Elise, which is my best soundstage/analytical setup. As I switch to the Yamaha MT220s I get much more bass impact, but I also hear more of the low end distortion that I couldn't hear on the Ether Cs because of the rolled off bass. 

Don't get me wrong I love the vibe even though it scares the crap out of me, but it's not going to make a difference whether you listen to those two particular songs on $50 headphones or $50000 headphones, you're not going to get clarity and soundstage out of those two songs because those qualities are just not present in the recording. 

Thank you for listening to the tracks!

Yes, you are right. Most of Ambient music and similar genres are highly lacking in technicalities. Most of them are distorted and lack refinement.
But listening to such music through a headphone like DT770, Z1000 or M50 which aren't very good in soundstage department and some headphones like SR850 or DT880 which have better soundstage, doesn't seem the same to my ears. I can hear the difference of soundstage size and width between those headphones, even in such highly low quality tracks (though not as pronounced as high quality acoustic or orchestral music).

just heard both tracks. imo mt220 is much more capable of rendering deep bass notes with excellent impact here. it had great rumbling presentation. in the other hand 612 had leaner bass presentation, I couldn't feel that bass energy, impact with 612 like I did with yammies. but still you might not satisfied with mt220's soundstage unless you planning to replace/modify its stock pads later.

Thanks again for your time and help!

It seems MT220 + Brainwavz pads is a safer bet. I hope adding Brainwavz pads largen and widen the soundstage (at least larger than DT770 and M50).

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #2,819 of 3,295

Thanks again for your time and help!

It seems MT220 + Brainwavz pads is a safer bet. I hope adding Brainwavz pads largen and widen the soundstage (at least larger than DT770 and M50).

No problem. Glad I could help.

If you are thinking about buying a  Brainwavz pad, get a pair of Brainwavz angled velour pads. it will give you more wider,airy soundstage. 
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-angled-memory-foam-earpad-black-velour-suitable-for-large-over-the-ear-headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back