Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Feb 4, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #631 of 3,295
Didn't like how the velour / memory foam HM5 pads changed the MT-220 sig but not giving up on pad rolling just yet. Got some of the original (flatter / non-memory foam) HM5 pads on their way so will report back with some impressions when they arrive.....thinking shallow pads are definitely the way to go with these.

Yeah I think so too. Try stuffing the back half of the stock pads if you haven't already, working well for me.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #632 of 3,295
Yeah I think so too. Try stuffing the back half of the stock pads if you haven't already, working well for me.

With the drivers already being angled it wasn't something I'd really even considered. Easy enough to do though so will give it a shot.

Are you just finding a general improvement in sound quality or are there any particular areas you feel benefit? 

Cheers!

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #633 of 3,295
With the drivers already being angled it wasn't something I'd really even considered. Easy enough to do though so will give it a shot.

Are you just finding a general improvement in sound quality or are there any particular areas you feel benefit? 

Cheers!

It's mainly comfort. If you think about the gap behind your ears and the side of your head, it's probably bigger for most people than the thickness of the pads. So stock pads are pushing the back of your ears flatter against your head. I've just taken the stuffing out of one to double check and indeed I can feel my outer ear against the inside of the can.

It does change the sound very slightly, a notch more air and takes the edge of the intimate presentation. It's not night and day that's for sure but I imagine the more you stuff them the more if will change...so stuff-to-suit :)

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #634 of 3,295
To add to this, from a purist perspective, I wold suggest it's better to leave your ears in the way mother nature (or god/gods if your religious) provided rather than effect their shape. Actually I think that's a really good rule to follow..let me write that one down....

:D

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #635 of 3,295
post #519

if u are able to work a screwdriver, give this mod a try. 
I am getting v good sound straight out of my McAir...
less brittle treble i think..more organic now.

Will likely check into a retirement village with either a yammie or dt150...
but for ease of powering ...the choice should go to the yammie+sansaClip/handfone combo.

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #636 of 3,295
Looking at the amount of cork left on those trees you must have messed up cutting the correct shapes out a lot! :D

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #637 of 3,295
It's mainly comfort. If you think about the gap behind your ears and the side of your head, it's probably bigger for most people than the thickness of the pads. So stock pads are pushing the back of your ears flatter against your head. I've just taken the stuffing out of one to double check and indeed I can feel my outer ear against the inside of the can.

It does change the sound very slightly, a notch more air and takes the edge of the intimate presentation. It's not night and day that's for sure but I imagine the more you stuff them the more if will change...so stuff-to-suit
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, okay. Comfort wise I don't find them too problematic. The driver cover on my Pandora Hope VI place far more pressure on my ears so when I go back to the MT-220 they feel rather luxurious!

To add to this, from a purist perspective, I wold suggest it's better to leave your ears in the way mother nature (or god/gods if your religious) provided rather than effect their shape. Actually I think that's a really good rule to follow..let me write that one down....

biggrin.gif

beyersmile.png

post #519

if u are able to work a screwdriver, give this mod a try. 
I am getting v good sound straight out of my McAir...
less brittle treble i think..more organic now.

Will likely check into a retirement village with either a yammie or dt150...
but for ease of powering ...the choice should go to the yammie+sansaClip/handfone combo.

I've actually been running them with cork discs fitted the last few months. Although I'm most likely using a lower grade than you....don't have my own tree sadly and you can't beat home grown 
wink.gif

Bass definitely has more low end grunt to it and treble seems a bit more well mannered, although maybe a bit 'simplistic' compared to other 'phones if that makes sense?. Sometimes with busy tracks the individual instruments become a bit congested though so was thinking of going back to the stock damping pads to see if they fared better.

That was until I spotted this: 

IMPT :
stuff some cotton gauze under the back half of the pads to put some distance betw your ears n the drivers for worldclass sound imaging..and comfort.

I've been running them flat all this time! Did I just plain miss that bit or did you add it after you'd done some more experimenting? 

(.....goes off to hunt for some cotton gauze)

ps. man these DT150's are good! Seem to pair very nicely with the Lyr. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #638 of 3,295
I await your impressions after nodding the pads

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #639 of 3,295

That was until I spotted this: 

IMPT :
stuff some cotton gauze under the back half of the pads to put some distance betw your ears n the drivers for worldclass sound imaging..and comfort.

I've been running them flat all this time! Did I just plain miss that bit or did you add it after you'd done some more experimenting? 

(.....goes off to hunt for some cotton gauze)

When i first gotten the yammie, the drivers touched my ears, so i stuffed it without a second tot.
I didnt realise it mattered until another bro said the yammie has loose or overbearing bass..
so i took out my cotton gauze to give the stock sound a listen, then i understood what he was saying. Then i put back the gauze and i am back to a more coherent bass.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #640 of 3,295
Yeh i was surprised by how stuffing the pads seems to tighten up the bass, before it was like the bass had bad gps and was going all over the place and now its seems more precise and focused which makes it feel like it has more impact. If that makes any sense haha!

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #641 of 3,295
For MT220lovers, u can try out this simple exercise :

1) Go to your backyard and look for a 600years old corktree..
trim off a choice slice of cork about 6inch x 6inch x 1mm

2) Take out your MT220, pull off the pads, unscrew the 4 black screws

3) Pull open the driver plate to expose the white felt 

4) pull out the whitefelt..n trace out the same shape onto your corksheet. store away the whitefelt.

5) doubleside stick the corkchop onto the cup..

(optional...line the wall with excess cork bits..:p)

6) replace driverplate, screw back the 4screws..reinstall the pads with magnifyingglass )

7) repeat for the other cup.

8) pretend that the sound is more organic, more natural, more open... and look satisfied.:p

========

wholllllysheeeets ...
that bass.. .more kinetic energy as it bounces off those trampolin-like surface....
whatever jaggeredhighs, sucked in by the ancient 600yr old sap. Incredible..snorrzzz.

========

IMPT :

How thick is cork used here?

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #642 of 3,295
Mine is 1mm....
But u can try out diff thickness..experiment n report back pls :)

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #644 of 3,295
Just bought these headphones after having them suggested to me, and for $150 it seemed like a really good price.

They arrive on Saturday.

Anything I should know about them? I've been going through this thread, but there is a lot to go through.
This is my first "real" set of headphones, I currently use Audio Technicas ath ad700s.

I'm excited.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #645 of 3,295
geez, i just fired up my dac n tubeamp 15mins ago...plugged the yammie into it, shazammmm the sound is out of this solarplexus !!
( have been listening to it straight off the mcAir the last few days..what a mega improvement. )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back