Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Feb 28, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #168 of 3,295
As easy as removing the pads and adding the new ones!! Lol. No really, no problems at all installing the alpha pads, just work around it slowly and you won't have any problems.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #172 of 3,295
What's up, guys and gals?  I've been gone from head-fi for quite some time, but it feels good to be back.  It's been a long time since I've had a nice pair of headphones and I've been really craving that intimate detailed sound injected straight to the dome that only good quality headphones can provide.  I used to have a pair of Westone UM3X's until the left channel went out on me.  Since then I've been listening to music pretty much exclusively on my studio monitors (M-audio DSM-1s).  I decided I didn't want another pair of iems since I didn't need new headphones for portability.  I bought new phones partly for listening and partly for producing/mixing.  Much of the free time that I get to put towards music nowadays is late at night when i can't use my speakers because the walls in my apartment are paper thin.  So, that's my background.  AND GUESS WHAT?  I JUST GOT MY HPH-MT220s IN!  As you can tell I'm a little excited. 

I decided to buy the Yama's based on the little bit of info out there on them due in large part to GrizzlyBeast comparing them favorably to many other phones including the Focal spirit pro's which i was very interested in.  That and Dale's review of these on youtube had me dying to try them out.  And for $250 they jumped to the top of my short list and I pulled the trigger and bought them.

Here's my setup:    Asus Laptop--> Foobar2k playing mostly FLAC (asio drivers)--> Roland UA-1g--> Yamaha HPH-MT220

The roland unit is a bus powered 1x1 USB audio interface that also doesn't have a whole lot of info out on the web about it.  What little I can find on the unit has also been favorable.  It's considered to have very decent sound quality for the price.  I do not know how the unit compares to other dac/amp combos.

Out of the box the build quality is better than expected for the price.  The construction is mostly plastic, but it's sturdy feeling none the less.  I plan on using these mostly at home and I can't envision any scenario in which I would have to worry about breaking them.  Comfort and looks are both very solid.  These aren't like wearing ear pillows or anything but they are comfortable enough to the point where I don't think much about them when they're on my head.  Also, not that looks matter much for a phone you're not going to be wearing out and about, but for what they are I find them well designed with a pleasing studio aesthetic.  Overall, as far as build/comfort/looks go there is nothing you could complain about for the price.

Now, the true audiophiles here are saying, "yeah yeah yeah, enough with the pitter-patter idgaf.  Tell me about how they sound.  I'll wear a ten gallon bucket on my head in public if it'll get me that sweet, pristine, lush sound."  Unfortunately I've only had these cans on my noggin for an hour or so at this point so detailed sonic reports will have to wait.  I will say that I very much like what I hear so far :wink: 

Thanks to everyone in this thread for influencing my decision.  I'm a very satisfied customer so far.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #175 of 3,295
Really interested to hear more about this HP.

I have a pair on order at the moment and am expecting delivery this week.

I currently use the AKG K550 as my daily HP in the office environment and am generally very happy with the sound quality. Comfort wise it is great but even on it's smallest setting is only just secure enough (though I do get a decent seal) and moving my head around can result in it slipping which is a bit of a pain.

I previously ordered a pair of the Focal Spirit Classics which I thought might give me a more relaxed sound (not often, but occasionally, the treble on the K550 can be grating though I love the open soundstage and clarity).

The FSC is incredibly smooth and even throughout and I can hear why it gets such great reviews but on balance I didn't feel the difference could be justified (even though the FSC was a good deal at £188 through Amazon UK). It was certainly more laid back and 'easier' to listen to but I think the Pro version would suit my tastes more. HOWEVER - I couldn't get on with the fit - my ears just fit inside the cups (touching though) and the clamp pressure was high and only short term wearing resulted in discomfort so they had to go back and it ruled out the Pro version for me.

So - I'm hoping the Yamaha MT220 gives me the comfort and the clarity I am looking for and it's a bonus they are much cheaper than the FSP/Classic etc (about $200 here in the UK). Admittedly part of the attraction is just trying something new - the K550 is still a HP I really like but if the MT220 hits the spot I will sell on the K550 and probably my Voda M-80 (which get next to no use) which shouldn't leave me out of pocket!

I'll post back thoughts as and when I've got them and listened for a while

Olly

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #177 of 3,295
+1 Would love to hear your initial thoughts OK Computer.

Got notice from Amazon that mine have been dispatched so I am expecting delivery in the next day or two after which I will try to get some listening time in :)

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #178 of 3,295
So - I'm hoping the Yamaha MT220 gives me the comfort and the clarity I am looking for and it's a bonus they are much cheaper than the FSP/Classic etc (about $200 here in the UK). Admittedly part of the attraction is just trying something new - the K550 is still a HP I really like but if the MT220 hits the spot I will sell on the K550 and probably my Voda M-80 (which get next to no use) which shouldn't leave me out of pocket!  
I'll post back thoughts as and when I've got them and listened for a while
Olly

Good stuff!

Look forward to your impressions.  I'm also attracted to the Yams for their great price but have a small head and most headphones are still too loose at their tightest setting- meaning reduced seal and bass. Looks like the Yams are going to be too loose too, judging by an earlier comment
redface.gif

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #179 of 3,295
Well,

If you also have smaller than average ears the Focal Spirit Pro might hit the spot - they have a strong clamp which might mean you can get away without the headband needing to provide so much support.

I didn't listen to the Pro but everything I read about them indicates I would like them and if the build / finish of the classics etc is anything to go by they will be great

O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back