Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Feb 20, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #138 of 3,295
better mids and leads needs, more burn in, bass is deep as anyone would need

OK thanks Grizz. I'll keep a look here for impressions on the hissing issue as this would really annoy me.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #139 of 3,295
Uncolored, the sound quality gets better after burn-in. Not hearing any sibilance.

I am very close to ordering these but have stalled to read more about the sibilance!
I'm curious if you tried playing back the tracks mentioned on the previous page?

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #140 of 3,295
Hi all,

This headphone probably best for monitoring, not an everyday hp as indicated by some review.

Some tracks that has less frequency over 14kHz like Hans Zimmer Pirates ..... Will not show the sibilance.

I reverse the bumps (eq) by judging the frequency response curve from the link I posted before, does eliminate the hissing and makes Alison voice normal. So yamaha did make those bumps (huge up and down really) uneven and it is not the song.

Cheers.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #141 of 3,295
Don't let this "issue" stop you from getting what are probably one of the best headphones out there at the moment... it is NOT annoying to me unless I'm concentrating fully on the track playing. If anyone is "afraid" due to this bump, order it from somewhere where you can return the item just to be on the safe side.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I need that this aspect is clarified: is Yamaha 220 uncolored or inclined to emphasize treble frequencies?

I would say that it is actually a bit colored... Bass frequency is a tiny bit bumped (probably why it has such a good impact) and highs definitely have some peaks that make it a bit bright (where I suspect that extra sibilance comes from...)

Grizz and I posted a graph from a Russian site, and although it is smoothed a lot, you can probably check if your ears agree with the freq response. My ears do... :p

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #142 of 3,295
I am very close to ordering these but have stalled to read more about the sibilance!
I'm curious if you tried playing back the tracks mentioned on the previous page?

I notice the same sibilance on the spirit pro. The yamaha does reveal it a smudge more on those tracks but both are raw in that regards. The yamaha is a bit brighter. After today I will be more definitive in regards to this.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #143 of 3,295
I notice the same sibilance on the spirit pro. The yamaha does reveal it a smudge more on those tracks but both are raw in that regards. The yamaha is a bit brighter. After today I will be more definitive in regards to this.

So you can detect it a bit more easily now right?
Is not a "game-ender", I still like them quite a lot (and they will definitely stay home for now) but I guess that since I've listened to a lot of these types of "monitoring"/"studio" headphones, it comes very easy to hear it.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #144 of 3,295
^ yes I do.
And agree verbatim.

For me in this hobby the fact that the yamaha lasted this long means a lot to me. But as the nature of my buying and selling habits would have it I could easily part with almost any piece of my gear. It would be hard to imagine either lasting the lifespan of the product. My ideal listen is an hd650 with deeper bass so eventually I will work my way back to that and then cycle out after I want something with less veil.

The pro so far has the best balance but lacks the bass impact(good enough to enjoy though) and over ear fit that would possibly make it a last stop.

I wouldn't be surprised if I see both in the fs thread so I can fund a pandora vi or crack spdbl hd650 combo.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #145 of 3,295
I wouldn't be surprised if I see both in the fs thread so I can fund a pandora vi or crack spdbl hd650 combo.

uffff... That Pandora looks so tasty... but let's leave that for another thread! LOL

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #146 of 3,295
I notice the same sibilance on the spirit pro. The yamaha does reveal it a smudge more on those tracks but both are raw in that regards. The yamaha is a bit brighter. After today I will be more definitive in regards to this

Those tracks have sibilance on the 545 and the last one the snare drum is unpleasant/unlistenable. Not too concerning.

Just googled those Pandoras....they look awesome....I've not seen these before.....the driver design sounds mental!

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #147 of 3,295
  Those tracks have sibilance on the 545 and the last one the snare drum is unpleasant/unlistenable. Not too concerning.

Just googled those Pandoras....they look awesome....I've not seen these before.....the driver design sounds mental!

No its not there are smoother headphones. When I first got the 7520 and the Mt220 the first thing I noted was how raw the sound was unlike most headphones I have had before with a very forward nature and very revealing qualities. Even though the 7520 has treble that is slightly south of neutral It is still strong, full, and bold with out the smoothing out of instruments. I misplaced the word edgy on it in me describing it and the mt220 is no exeption to the above as all three possess that quality about them. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #148 of 3,295
  Hi grizz, try Whiskey Lullaby on youtube, Brad voice is fine but Alison voice is a little weird due to the hiss.You can hear the hiss on all the words containing s and c.

I agree with what gelocks described above. Compared to a very bright open hp Roland RHA7 for digital piano, Yamaha hiss is annoying. The Roland also pickup all the details but with its more balanced high freq. sounds better for Alison voice and the hiss is less annoying.

Cheers

Alisons voice sounds  good to me on the yamaha. It has less weight to it than the pro but is very transparent. The S's are not bothering me at all on her voice. Compared to the pro though her voice is a tiny bit less full but more dynamic. When she starts a word it is loud then quiet and I can hear the differences in volume when pronouncing words. The pro though is just as tranparent but  more full on her voice with less dynamics. I had to play it over and over again to hear it. Her voice is more exciting on the yamaha a bit but on the pro its more seductive and warm with the higher mids of her run really clear. The yamaha is still realistic but a bit more sharp. The S (which is what I was supposed to listen for) are very clear and sound a little louder than the pro. 

To me it is more than tolerable though. I wouldnt find it bothersome but overall if nitpicking would prefer the pro. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #149 of 3,295
  Alisons voice sounds  good to me on the yamaha. It has less weight to it than the pro but is very transparent. The S's are not bothering me at all on her voice. Compared to the pro though her voice is a tiny bit less full but more dynamic. When she starts a word it is loud then quiet and I can hear the differences in volume when pronouncing words. The pro though is just as tranparent but  more full on her voice with less dynamics. I had to play it over and over again to hear it. Her voice is more exciting on the yamaha a bit but on the pro its more seductive and warm with the higher mids of her run really clear. The yamaha is still realistic but a bit more sharp. The S (which is what I was supposed to listen for) are very clear and sound a little louder than the pro. 

To me it is more than tolerable though. I wouldnt find it bothersome but overall if nitpicking would prefer the pro. 

OK, thanks. For now I just adjust some (reversing) eq like below and its great. 

All female voices now sounds perfect. The huge drop at 3kHz & 7kHz also compensated.
Probably not worth adjusting anything more than 16kHz as I can't hear them anyway. 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back