Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Dec 29, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #2,716 of 3,295

I'm talking context here. Look at the other headphones he mentioned, not YOU.
Stax, nor anything remotely in that context was mentioned.The dt880 is in the mid-fi "accurate"  dynamic headphone zone.

I"ve personally seen many dt880s in many real-life recording studios,
Also the hd600(He'd mentioned).

My opinion is the dt880 is more accurate.
There are various "adjustments" made in either the d600 and dt880 and in different tonal zones.
See the measurements(easy to find).
Incidentally, I like the dt880.
beyersmile.png

That's why I mentioned it.

The dt880 and hd600 are both far more common in studios.The Stax 207 is a fine headphone but I've never personally seen it in a real recording studio.Not to say it does"t exist there but the law of averages, mid-fi, accuracy etc... says it's irrelevant).

IMO, if one really wants to go accurate and without budget thinking, they would go high-end Stax.
But......

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #2,717 of 3,295

I don't like the DT 880 all that much. (Owned it before.) The STAX SR-207 is considerably more accurate.

But I changed my plans. (Yet again.) Think I'll just go for an HD 800 (for superior technicalities and comfort) and equalize the frequency response, instead of multiple headphones that would have cost the same. After all, this is all about something to tide me over for awhile until I reach Orpheus la-la-land.
evil_smiley.gif

Boy, oh boy, this thread has gotten off track...

Please see last post and then continue your Orpheus fantasy.

Of course you are aware that the original Orpheus ruled the underworld, AKA the land of the DEAD.

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #2,718 of 3,295

Please see last post and then continue your Orpheus fantasy.

Of course you are aware that the original Orpheus ruled the underworld, AKA the land of the DEAD.

BTW, despite all other posts in this thread, I consider the dt880 a FAR superior headphone to the "Yammie" discussed here.
And I own the Yamaha, like it etc....

BTW, the dt880 has been in production how long???
And the "Yammie"???

cool.gif

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #2,719 of 3,295

I don't like the DT 880 all that much. (Owned it before.) The STAX SR-207 is considerably more accurate.

But I changed my plans. (Yet again.) Think I'll just go for an HD 800 (for superior technicalities and comfort) and equalize the frequency response, instead of multiple headphones that would have cost the same. After all, this is all about something to tide me over for awhile until I reach Orpheus la-la-land.
evil_smiley.gif

Boy, oh boy, this thread has gotten off track...

Speaking of accuracy 
blink.gif
 you do realize the original "Alchemists"  were very interested in changing lead into gold lol......

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #2,720 of 3,295

BTW, despite all other posts in this thread, I consider the dt880 a FAR superior headphone to the "Yammie" discussed here.

And the "Yammie"???

cool.gif

Open backed vs closed backed so "better" is subjective. 
I had the DT880 and gave it away......unnatural highs, cymbals sound weird when directly compared to HD600's and 650's by myself and 4 other engineers over a decade ago.

Production length means nothing, something better is coming out weekly and leaving older cans in the dust.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #2,721 of 3,295
X1

With the dt880...u are further from the stage.

Own it...Sold it...after testing it with 4 other truckdrivers :p

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #2,722 of 3,295
  I'm talking context here. Look at the other headphones he mentioned, not YOU.
Stax, nor anything remotely in that context was mentioned.The dt880 is in the mid-fi "accurate"  dynamic headphone zone.

I"ve personally seen many dt880s in many real-life recording studios,
Also the hd600(He'd mentioned).

My opinion is the dt880 is more accurate.
There are various "adjustments" made in either the d600 and dt880 and in different tonal zones.
See the measurements(easy to find).
Incidentally, I like the dt880.
beyersmile.png

That's why I mentioned it.

The dt880 and hd600 are both far more common in studios.The Stax 207 is a fine headphone but I've never personally seen it in a real recording studio.Not to say it does"t exist there but the law of averages, mid-fi, accuracy etc... says it's irrelevant).

IMO, if one really wants to go accurate and without budget thinking, they would go high-end Stax.
But......

And the "Yammie"???

cool.gif

Who is "he"?

Anyway, we all have our preferences. Personally, to my ears, the STAX SR-207 (and even the much less expensive SR-30) is far more transparent and realistic-sounding than the DT 880 (I owned the 600 ohm Edition/Premium "best" version), and measurably more neutral too. The DT 880 is still a decent headphone. I like the MT220 much more than it as well. Actually, when it comes to sheer enjoyment, I like the MT220 more than any of them sometimes, but that's separate from the context of accuracy. I might be willing to admit that the DT 880 is more accurate than the MT220 overall.

Speaking of accuracy 
blink.gif
 you do realize the original "Alchemists"  were very interested in changing lead into gold lol......

hehe. Closest I can do to that is using cheapie headphones and getting good sound out of 'em.
tongue_smile.gif

EQ really can work wonders for many headphones.

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #2,724 of 3,295
Does the MT220 sound similar to the HD 650 to you as well? Because I owned both and thought they sounded nothing alike. Due to this, it's surprising to me that you say the HD 600 (which I admittedly have not heard) is so similar to the MT220. The most striking difference in the MT220, for me, was the bass impact. Even got it to make my head rattle at high volume on occasion. Can't imagine the HD 650 pulling that off. In my experience, the MT220 is very engaging, with revealing treble, while the HD 650 is more laid-back and somewhat warm and dark, though not overly so.  
Is the HD 600 really as exciting as the MT220? How does its bass impact compare? I've read much of what you (and others) have published about the AD2000. From that, I'm assuming the AD2000 sounds much more exciting than the MT220 and the recordings themselves. Sadly, the AD2000 is hard to find nowadays. This makes the prospect of getting the HD 600 before the others appear more logical, although on the other hand, snatching up an AD2000 first if given the opportunity has its own sense of urgency thanks to its rarity. Basically I'm a little confused about which I would prefer. I know you said the HD 600 has a noticeably more natural tonality than the AD2000. Which would you say is more accurate overall? (When I say accurate overall, this applies to all music, not just a few genres.)

Also (and I know this may be asking a bit much), if you could compare the MT220, HD 600, and AD2000 in depth, it would be highly appreciated!

Don't have an HD650, so can't say if it sounds similar to the MT220.

When I wrote that the HD600 and MT220 sounded similar, I meant mostly in terms of tonality and frequency spectrum balance—not really in terms of anything else (especially imaging, which they're the most different on). I consider the MT220 more "exciting"-sounding, and it has more bass quantity too (providing for more impact), as well as lower extension.

For tonality, I view the HD600 as extremely accurate, with the MT220 not far behind. The AD2K has always sounded weird to me, enough that I've never used it on predominantly acoustic music like classical, jazz, folk, etc (it's always been my electronica, metal, and modern rock/pop headphone). I'm using the word "accuracy" with respect to tonality in the context of being a musician though (specifically a violinist).

For overall "accuracy" in tone, speed, imaging, etc, the best I've heard has been the Stax OII MKI on the BHSE sourced by the Plinius CD-101, by far.

No offense, but not sure I can be bothered to do an in-depth comparison of those 3 headphones, due to limited listening time. I'll just do a short version:
- I view the HD600 as the most natural- and neutral-sounding "budget" headphone, not just of the 3, but out of all the other inexpensive headphones I've heard too. It's quite limited in its strengths though, IMO, as the natural & neutral sound is pretty much all it has going for it. Slow impulse response, not very clear, spatially narrow.
- The AD2K is also quite limited in its strengths—extremely fast impulse response, equally extremely agile-sounding (never plodgy, unless held back by an amp or source). Very in-your-face, and very well-defined spatials that are limited in scope (consistently sounds moderately room-sized).
- The MT220 has a good amount of the HD600's natural and neutral sound (and with lower bass extension too) for a cheaper price and in a closed headphone that's also refreshingly low-impedance and efficient enough to sound great straight out of a computer or portable device. Similarly slow impulse response and lack of clarity, IMO. Not sure about spatials though, haven't really paid attention to that aspect yet.

If you want electrostatic-like clarity with natural & neutral sound, the only thing I can recommend is a well-amped Stax OII MKI.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #2,725 of 3,295
Most exciting headphone I have ever heard: the on-ear open-back Koss KTXPRO1. Cost less than $15. Mind: blown.

It's nowhere near as good as the also-exciting MT220 in objective performance, though. The Koss is a paradox of sorts in that some aspects of the sound are distorted, muffled, and boomy...but then other aspects are extremely detailed, engaging, and dynamic. Go figure. It should improve with a better amp, EQ, and modifications. My current amp does distort at high volume, and the Koss needs high volume to come alive. But I just can't believe how much bass and impact the Koss has—more than most closed headphones I've heard! This does not detract from the mids and treble since they're so engaging, for the most part. In fact, it enhances the experience. It's just that some of the lower frequencies suffer from the aforementioned problems at times. Maybe someone else with a better system can test it to see if they can get rid of the distortion, etc.

Update: I reduced all the lower frequencies with EQ and now there is no distortion. ^_^

Thanks, @Asr, for the comparison!

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #2,727 of 3,295
  Hi MA,

Is the Koss KTXPRO1 a successor to the Koss Portapro?

The KTXPRO1 is basically a KSC75 but with a headband and flat-backed instead of round-backed. Both have titanium-coated drivers, whereas the PortaPro does not. On average, from what I've seen, people prefer the KTXPRO1. If you use a search like this one, you'll be able to find lots of info comparing them. As for when they were originally released, the PortaPro has been around for a long time, so I suppose you could call the KTXPRO1 a successor in a sense...but it's more closely related to the KSC75.

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #2,728 of 3,295
Never heard of the KTXPro before, been a fan of the Porta Pro's until they died on me! Looking forward to the give them a try. On the HD600/MT220 discussion - I completely agree with Asr. I had the 600s during a period when my tastes were towards the "darker side" and the 600 was just a tad too bright for me. I naturally gravitated towards the 650s, later when I picked up the MT220 my listening flavour had "matured" towards neutral. The bass on the Mt220 was a little distracting but I got used to it. The Mt220 is a more "active/lively" headphone than the HD600 but I am sure that the 600 paired with a tube amp may make things much more interesting. Right now, the Mt220 and the AKG K702 share my listening time - the Mt 220 more so because of it's incredible performance directly out of pretty much any source (laptop,iPad, FiioX3, iPod).

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #2,729 of 3,295
The yammie presents the music like no other hdfone :)
...at least none in my stable sounds like it.

Is it the best, not tat...just tat it has alot of headtime, alot.

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/VuckLY3xfd8[/VIDEO]

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #2,730 of 3,295
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venture-Electronics-Monk-Audiophile-Earbud-/172047136979?hash=item280ecef8d3:g:p2wAAOSw5IJWhDn3&rmvSB=true

a few pcs on ebay... get it !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back