Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Sep 4, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,741 of 3,295
  The only thing I'm "worrying" about not having my emails returned.  I like companies to be responsive to me, when buying a product.  If they cannot answer me with a random question, how can I expect them to return warranty or serious inquiries????

I'm also "worrying" about what happens if a pair goes SOL.  If you're getting a replacement of a cheap unit, then why would I want to risk it???

Just getting all the cards on deck.  Need to remove those jokers from the deck :).

It seems to me that you're worried about the MT220 breaking on you, which would be the only reason to be contacting them about this in advance. Some companies take awhile to reply via email, especially if you're not a customer going through the proper channels. That's why I always call instead. You'll get faster and better answers that way.

By the way, aside from the warranty and dealing with Yamaha directly, most places you buy new from have a refund and/or replacement policy. So if you're not satisfied for whatever reason, you can return it and get your money back or a replacement, at least within a set period.

Sep 4, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #1,742 of 3,295

It seems to me that you're worried about the MT220 breaking on you, which would be the only reason to be contacting them about this in advance. Some companies take awhile to reply via email, especially if you're not a customer going through the proper channels. That's why I always call instead. You'll get faster and better answers that way.

By the way, aside from the warranty and dealing with Yamaha directly, most places you buy new from have a refund and/or replacement policy. So if you're not satisfied for whatever reason, you can return it and get your money back or a replacement, at least within a set period.

For sure, again I'm just trying to get all the info on a discontinued unit.  I know I could return it to the seller, but that's usually 30 days, and I'm just making sure that 8 months down the line, that if something happens, I'm not SOL. 

It does take sometimes to get back to you, but usually a few days... it's been a week.  I contacted them via their "Yamaha Audio/Video" Email form.  I got an email that my ticket has been sent in, and I should get a reply shortly.

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #1,743 of 3,295
Eurobeat I agree with Music Alchemist, I think you're worrying too much. They are built pretty solid, unless your slinging them about every day I see no reason why they won't last. I think your looking at reasons not to buy it, so maybe it's not for you....I believe if you truly wanted this headphone you'd have just bought it already.

Say they break on you and you send them back...they replace with say HPH-PRO400 or HPH-PRO500, is that no good to you? If you approach everything 'glass half empty' you won't enjoy this hobby half as much.

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #1,744 of 3,295
.....or lets play this the opposite way....you buy them and they are the best thing to you since sliced bread. You drop them repeatedly and even in a swimming pool and they still work. They survive the great nuclear war of 2025 and apart from cockroaches are the only thing to survive.

Would you be happy then?

:D

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #1,745 of 3,295

@Eurobeat I agree with @Music Alchemist, I think you're worrying too much. They are built pretty solid, unless your slinging them about every day I see no reason why they won't last. I think your looking at reasons not to buy it, so maybe it's not for you....I believe if you truly wanted this headphone you'd have just bought it already.

Say they break on you and you send them back...they replace with say HPH-PRO400 or HPH-PRO500, is that no good to you? If you approach everything 'glass half empty' you won't enjoy this hobby half as much.

I'm always open to different things, but like I've mentioned to others, and possibly in this thread, but when I hear "overwhelming positiveS" for something, I'm always curious about "negatives" or "lack there of natives..."

I don't know anything about those, or other equiv replacements, that's why I asked if it's worth it.

As I said above I'm looking at many choices.  I was jumping on the pair on B&H, but got outbought at the last second, and right now I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to pay the full 250$ and get a warranty, or get it for cheaper, without a warranty.

as for why I haven't jumped on this...  When I'm looking at spending a decent amount of money on something, I like to research as much as I can about it, that's my nature.  I don't want to "regret" a purchase, even though it doesn't sound like I will.

.....or lets play this the opposite way....you buy them and they are the best thing to you since sliced bread. You drop them repeatedly and even in a swimming pool and they still work. They survive the great nuclear war of 2025 and apart from cockroaches are the only thing to survive.

Would you be happy then?

biggrin.gif

No.

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,746 of 3,295
I'm always open to different things, but like I've mentioned to others, and possibly in this thread, but when I hear "overwhelming positives" for something, I'm always curious about "negatives" or "lack there of nagatives..."

I don't know anything about those, or other equiv replacements, that's why I asked if it's worth it.

Fair point, and wise. I try and stay clear of 'appreciation threads' for that reason, whilst not completely balanced I think this thread has been reasonably fair in it's appraisal. Having said that people who don't like it may not bother to spend the time giving feedback here.

My other comments are in jest, just trying to lighten the mood (poor attempt probably).

Sep 5, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #1,747 of 3,295
Fair point, and wise. I try and stay clear of 'appreciation threads' for that reason, whilst not completely balanced I think this thread has been reasonably fair in it's appraisal. Having said that people who don't like it may not bother to spend the time giving feedback here.

My other comments are in jest, just trying to lighten the mood (poor attempt probably).

Well most threads that talk about a headphone have good info, but I can see bias in some cases, for sure.

It just seems there's a ton of love, but no negs about the MT220's, but some people do have a few comments whether true or not.

It's all good with the other comments, I was just messing around.

Anyways, I made a thread here http://www.head-fi.org/t/779971/need-help-finding-a-great-pair-of-headphones-please-details-inside#post_11892491 asking for recommendations, and someone mentioned the "Pioneer HRM-7's" as comparable headphone, but said he likes them better than the MT220's.

I also found this small thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/751859/pioneer-hrm-7-studio-monitor-headphones-discussion/15  where a couple of people compare the MT220's to the HRM-7's.  In the second to last post on the page I linked, a user posts his comparison between the MT220's, the HRM-7's and the "Focal Pro."  The HRM-7's were better in all but a couple categories, according to the user.

I'm curious if anyone has heard these, or heard of these before?

They are cheaper than the Yamahas, and It will be interesting to see what other people say.

Thanks all.

NOTE:  The first page of the HRM-7's thread has specs on the headphones, for those interested.

Sep 5, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #1,748 of 3,295
  Well most threads that talk about a headphone have good info, but I can see bias in some cases, for sure.

It just seems there's a ton of love, but no negs about the MT220's, but some people do have a few comments whether true or not.

It's all good with the other comments, I was just messing around.

Anyways, I made a thread here http://www.head-fi.org/t/779971/need-help-finding-a-great-pair-of-headphones-please-details-inside#post_11892491 asking for recommendations, and someone mentioned the "Pioneer HRM-7's" as comparable headphone, but said he likes them better than the MT220's.

I also found this small thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/751859/pioneer-hrm-7-studio-monitor-headphones-discussion/15  where a couple of people compare the MT220's to the HRM-7's.  In the second to last post on the page I linked, a user posts his comparison between the MT220's, the HRM-7's and the "Focal Pro."  The HRM-7's were better in all but a couple categories, according to the user.

They are cheaper than the Yamahas, and It will be interesting to see what other people say.

Thanks all.

NOTE:  The first page of the HRM-7's thread has specs on the headphones, for those interested.

This review was featured on the front page of Head-Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/pioneer-hrm-7-professional-studio-headphones/reviews/13865

I'm mainly interested in ultra-high-end headphones now, so I won't bother with it.

Sep 5, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #1,749 of 3,295

This review was featured on the front page of Head-Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/pioneer-hrm-7-professional-studio-headphones/reviews/13865

I'm mainly interested in ultra-high-end headphones now, so I won't bother with it.

Nice, that's the same person who made the post I mentioned above.

Do you have any comments on it, though?

You're interested only in "high end" but just bought a pair of MT220's :pPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.................

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #1,751 of 3,295

Thanks all.

I have the HRM-7' and they have even more clarity and a bigger soundstage than the Yamaha's while at the same time being very smooth in the highs.............bass seems very light however and they leak like open headphones, which is why I didn't take them on my present business trip, even though I was desperate to. I wouldn't suggest using them unamped, which is a strength of the Yamahas.

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #1,752 of 3,295

I have the HRM-7' and they have even more clarity and a bigger soundstage than the Yamaha's while at the same time being very smooth in the highs.............bass seems very light however and they leak like open headphones, which is why I didn't take them on my present business trip, even though I was desperate to. I wouldn't suggest using them unamped, which is a strength of the Yamahas.

Thanks.  You were the one who got me interested in the HRM-7's from a post in my thread in the "help/recommendation" forum, so I appreciate that.  I don't care too much for bass, but it is nice, I just don't want it to "overpowering" and hurt my ears.  I've heard mixed comments on leaking, though.

Do you have a recommendation for amps with these HRM-7's?  People here seem to like the Schiit amps, and I'm not sure if I get an amp/DAC combo, or what the deal is...

Also, apparently there are detachable cables, so that leaves the next question, should I use the stock cables, or get better cables?  how much better would better cables improve the sound?  Do you use the stock cables?

One Amazon review really disliked the headphones, and said that one of the cords worked a lot better than the other, so it might have been a faulty cord.  It seems one is a corded cord, and one is a straight cord?

Thanks very much for your time.

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #1,753 of 3,295

Thanks.  You were the one who got me interested in the HRM-7's from a post in my thread in the "help/recommendation" forum, so I appreciate that.  I don't care too much for bass, but it is nice, I just don't want it to "overpowering" and hurt my ears.  I've heard mixed comments on leaking, though.

Do you have a recommendation for amps with these HRM-7's?  People here seem to like the Schiit amps, and I'm not sure if I get an amp/DAC combo, or what the deal is...

Also, apparently there are detachable cables, so that leaves the next question, should I use the stock cables, or get better cables?  how much better would better cables improve the sound?  Do you use the stock cables?

One Amazon review really disliked the headphones, and said that one of the cords worked a lot better than the other, so it might have been a faulty cord.  It seems one is a corded cord, and one is a straight cord?

Thanks very much for your time.

I have the Schiit Magni 2 Uber and the Asgard 2, I'd suggest the Schiit Magni 2 Uber. I *think* the Asgard 2 has a very slight soundstage and clarity edge over the Magni, but the Magni is more powerful driving the Pioneers even though the Asgard is more powerful driving high impedance headphones. The Pioneers sound sensational on either one. I also have the O2, but I haven't use the Pioneers on it yet because it isn't as powerful as the Magni. I've also used the Cayin C5, FiiO E12, E6, and it sounded great on all of them. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #1,754 of 3,295

I have the Schiit Magni 2 Uber and the Asgard 2, I'd suggest the Schiit Magni 2 Uber. I *think* the Asgard 2 has a very slight soundstage and clarity edge over the Magni, but the Magni is more powerful driving the Pioneers even though the Asgard is more powerful driving high impedance headphones. The Pioneers sound sensational on either one. I also have the O2, but I haven't use the Pioneers on it yet because it isn't as powerful as the Magni. I've also used the Cayin C5, FiiO E12, E6, and it sounded great on all of them. 

Thanks for the info.  Do you pair it with a DAC of some sort or no??

Also, I realized that I'll be able to attempt to add my old soundcard to my computer (but might not be able to due to old slot compatibility), so I wanted to post the specs on it.

http://www.nordichardware.com/Multimedia/creative-soundblaster-x-fi-elite-pro/Specifications.html

I'm curious if you have any thoughts about this, or if any of this is even useful?

I'm also curious if anyone has comments about sound cards, vs amp/DACs...?  

Thanks.

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #1,755 of 3,295

Perhaps tell us what you already own, it might make it easier for us to guide you?

I have settled for the Yam MT220 with Hidizs AP100 DAP and Geek-Out 450 USB-DAC after going through a load of different gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back