Yamaha HPH-200 (Pictures and review) [Updated]
Aug 21, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #196 of 210
well, I was always a bit unsure about whether "burn in" was a genuine journey a headphone took... now IMO I can see it is very real. I really liked these out of the box, but there was a major veil over them which clouded the details ever so slightly. About 24 hours of use later the veil is gone and the details are shining through. I love the sound of these cans.

BASS is powerful and punchy and done just right for that fun listen. These are my first open ear since my bad experience with Grado sr80es. I tried these as i thought the eph-100 was great value so fancied hearing another Yamaha offering.

MIDS after burn in are nice and clear and airy sounding. Details are awesome. HIGHS for me just right, they are clear and with decent detail. A little sibilance on tracks known for it.

SOUNDSTAGE is where these really shine. Very wide and instruments and vocals are placed around your head. It also spreads out the mids in a way I've not been used to. It brings out details in a strange but wonderful way. The air between them allows for details to come out in a different way from bright or neutral sets. hard to explain without listening to them. Notes are just given space and air to breathe and thus picking out micro details is fun.

These are so much fun to listen to. Incredible value for under £100. NOW, do i try the mt220?!?!?

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #197 of 210
Nah the 200 look nicer. Enjoy I like mine too. Nice review by the way.

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #198 of 210
These HPH 200s are so underrated.
I remember buying them 4 years ago on sale, like 75% OFF crazy good last stock, got them for 30+ USD or something.
Really blown away by it's sound for a 30 dollars.

Good mids, smooth bass, amazing soundstage, so fun. Great YAMAHA product.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #200 of 210
Sorry if this thread is old, but how do these hph-200's compare to the koss ksc75? Is it a clear upgrade?
Clear upgrade. IMHO. I have both and I do not listen to my koss anymore. However, not nearly as portable. I think it is an upgrade in sound.

May 11, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #202 of 210
Cool. I notice you have grado 125's too. Could you comment how those compare to the ksc75 and hph-200?
Well, they are all open but the hph200 are the most forgiving and have the most bass presence. The grado's are clearer, more analytical but not as fun. The yamaha's were a bargain for what I paid, and only a third of the cost of the grado's. Gotta keep things in perspective. I do not listen to my koss anymore - great for what they are but soundwise not for me anymore.

May 11, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #203 of 210
Well, they are all open but the hph200 are the most forgiving and have the most bass presence. The grado's are clearer, more analytical but not as fun. The yamaha's were a bargain for what I paid, and only a third of the cost of the grado's. Gotta keep things in perspective. I do not listen to my koss anymore - great for what they are but soundwise not for me anymore.

Thanks for the insight!

Jun 4, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #204 of 210
Picked up a pair of these Yamahas and after using a week or two I find the sound not quite bright enough for my taste, perhaps I'm just too used to my V6's? These do have good resolution though, and are not fatiguing. If anyone is looking for a pair of these Yamahas I would be willing to part with mine to put towards trying a Grado next

Jun 4, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #205 of 210
Picked up a pair of these Yamahas and after using a week or two I find the sound not quite bright enough for my taste, perhaps I'm just too used to my V6's? These do have good resolution though, and are not fatiguing. If anyone is looking for a pair of these Yamahas I would be willing to part with mine to put towards trying a Grado next

If you have an equalizer, you can try to lower the mid-bass region between 70Hz and 200Hz.
If I rememer correctly they respond quite well to EQ.

- 4dB @ 125 Hz should help to make the mid-bass perceptively quicker and also bring more presence to the upper mids and treble.

I guess something like a Grado SR225i/e could get you there too.

Jun 8, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #206 of 210
I did play around with the eq on my phone a little and noticed the mid bass was the culprit. They did respond well to the eq but I am finding I still prefer my un eq'ed KSC75's to them

Aug 4, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #207 of 210
Sold the Yamahas and got a pair of original Grado SR80s. I much prefer the Grado's sound, though you could say their build quality is inferior to the Yamahas.

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #209 of 210
After 10 years these babies died on me, sadly the model is sold out and the only option is to import from Japan with a significant price bump. Can you guys please recommend me similiar sound to these? So v-shaped sound/fun/warm/good soundstage/smooth bass. People say Grados are similiar but not as fun.

Thank you

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #210 of 210
After 10 years these babies died on me, sadly the model is sold out and the only option is to import from Japan with a significant price bump. Can you guys please recommend me similiar sound to these? So v-shaped sound/fun/warm/good soundstage/smooth bass. People say Grados are similiar but not as fun.

Thank you
I have an old one that is in meh condition but is still working if you'd have any interest...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back