Yamaha HPH-200 (Pictures and review) [Updated]
Apr 8, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #121 of 210
Has anyone figured out a suitable ear pad replacement?

I would like to know whether the ear pads from the sennheiser HD-25 or the HD-414 would fit these.
I haven't gained the confidence to take my ear pads apart yet.

H.M

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #122 of 210
eBay Australia are selling HPH-200 for $71 AUD if any ones interested.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-Yamaha-HPH-200-Headphones-Black-/281303851811?pt=AU_DJ_Gear_Lighting_Equipment&hash=item417f042323&_uhb=1

I picked up a second pair having fond thoughts of the first. It's been a while since I heard my first pair but these ones sound a touch veiled to what I remember? they have that same open airy stage still which is a great sensation. I've found just using some slight EQ on a Rockboxed Sansa Clip Zip just to remove that viel I was hearing really gets them moving nicely. Great portable headphone especially for those who want low isolation. Amazon have put them back up to $149.00

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #124 of 210
Thanks Darner, much appreciated.
Coincidentally I did make a purchase of the sony MDR-V150 a few days ago lol.
Even though I've read them to be kinda sucky on head-fi.
They were my first ever pair of headphones when I was a little youngster.
Held up pretty well till the cable broke way back then.
But now I have an opportunity to give this a go :D

H.M

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #126 of 210
  anyone can compare them to the Alessandro MS-1

Pretty sure, this Yamahas have more bass. This are really warm sounding headphones.

Based on measuements Yamaha HPH-200s have more bass and less upper-mids/lower treble.

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #127 of 210
  anyone can compare them to the Alessandro MS-1

I haven't heard Alessandro's but I have a few Grados - SR60i, SR225i and a modded SR60i. 

Sound: Highs are not in your face like the Grados. They are clear but somewhat less 'sparkly'. I feel that you do get a lot more bass compared to SR60i and SR225i but not as much as the modded SR60i. I feel it is a bit less airy compared to the Grados but I CAN separate out the instruments clearly. 

Comfort: More comfortable than S or L cush but less comfortable than G cush. Also pretty light. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #129 of 210
  thanks...  i didnt realize the sr60 can be modded to such ends
what did you do with yours?

1) Replace S cush with G cush (some bass improvement and more comfortable)
2) Cut out the cloth type thing in front of the drivers (better treble)
3) Stick felt pads to the back of the drivers and around the inner of the cups (dampen the in-your-face sparkly treble but still keep them clear - I feel this helps to bring out the bass more.)
4) Punch holes at the back of the drivers (this is the one most important thing for bass improvement. you can punch up to 10 holes per driver. The more holes you have the more bass you get. I suggest starting with a lower number, listening to the sound and then slowly working your way up till you are satisfied. This mod is mostly irreversible.)

The SR60i thread would have a lot more information and step by step tutorials for these . Good luck!

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #130 of 210
I can't get over how good this sounds with the 4-12k EQed up and the sub bass dropped slightly. I won't be able to sell this now

May 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #131 of 210
I've just bought a pair of Yamaha HPH 200 and I'm happy with them as long as the right cup doesn't buzz with the deep bass. In some of the bass tests I've found that there is a buzz at about 160Hz and 70Hz on right channel.
I also notice that while listening to LAURA FYGI - How Insensitive . The resonance cretes a disturbing sound and I notice it at the first minute of the song and only on right cup.

Can any owners of the model please listen to the song and check it ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hccdCnYJ4RU&list=FLah2Yu6y7CCHH-ZeyJr7xFA&index=11

There are some other songs where I can hear the same buzz too but the entrance of PSY - Gangnam-Style is where I can hear it most. 

I have swithched the right and left side and also have listened with one ear only but I hear the buzz always on right channel.
They are new and I think they cannot have a dust inside to buzz and crackle with the bass.
I checked with torch and there is no visible hair or another particle inside.

I have also listened the same songs with AKG K240 Sextett and Shure SRH440 and there was no buzz / crackling sound.

I also wonder how they compare to Ultrasone HFI 2200 ULE or HFI 2400 . 

Thanks for the replies in advance.

May 7, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #132 of 210
just did the test.
didn't come across anything suspicious on my pair.
also tried them on other open backs just to see whether what you described could be replicated and got nothing out of it.

May 8, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #133 of 210
Thank you for your help Haruka

Does anyone have an idea how to open the drivers and check for any assembly issues or hair inside ?
The headphones are great as long as there is no deep bass but this crackling sound makes me really unhappy.

Quote:
  I've just bought a pair of Yamaha HPH 200 and I'm happy with them as long as the right cup doesn't buzz with the deep bass. In some of the bass tests I've found that there is a buzz at about 160Hz and 70Hz on right channel.
I also notice that while listening to LAURA FYGI - How Insensitive . The resonance cretes a disturbing sound and I notice it at the first minute of the song and only on right cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hccdCnYJ4RU&list=FLah2Yu6y7CCHH-ZeyJr7xFA&index=11

There are some other songs where I can hear the same buzz too but the entrance of PSY - Gangnam-Style is where I can hear it most. 

I have swithched the right and left side and also have listened with one ear only but I hear the buzz always on right channel.
They are new and I think they cannot have a dust inside to buzz and crackle with the bass.

I have also listened the same songs with AKG K240 Sextett and Shure SRH440 and there was no buzz / crackling sound.

May 9, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #134 of 210

Just did the test and no issues with my pair. Pulling them apart seems to be a case of just pulling the pad off and removing the 4 screws by the looks of it.

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #135 of 210
Hi guys....I love this Yamaha headphone....and now looking at buying a third one.

Funny that I actually bought this early last year through CatchOfTheDay site after reading the forum here.....and haven't bothered listening to it, instead left on the shelf for months...until COTD were selling them again, again I bought a second pair without even listening to my original one....this shows how much I trust your reviews here, heehee...

Anyway, I finally got to hear only 2 weeks ago, it blew me away...i'm not really an expert hi-fi afficianado , I've mostly being listening to earphones for my train travelling around Sydney.

I could appreciate the excellent high & low separation - listening to The Smiths 'Meat Is Murder', I could really hear Morrissey's voice upfront & clear amid Johnny Marr's jangling guitar throughout the album.  Very impressive.  Maybe this headphone sounds good with rock guitar music as mentioned before in earlier posts, somehow electronic music sounds mediocre - my Ultravox songs sounds just so-so.

Anyways, I'm still very impressed by it that I'm looking for a third one.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back