Yamaha HPH-200 (Pictures and review) [Updated]
Sep 1, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #136 of 210
Hi all!

I've, after reading the sparse reviews around Head-fi, bought this headphone about half a year ago, and whilst I love the sound there I have a slight issue. Every now and then, based on head movement, the headphones produce a snapping/cracking sound. These noises do not come from the cups/drivers but from the frame/headband (around the hinges maybe?)... Quite disturbing, especially when you are listening to somewhat quieter music.

Has anyone experienced something like this (with another brand/type of headphones maybe)? And is there a solution?

Regards,
Bas

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #137 of 210
I was also experiencing a cracking / clicking sound on occasion when walking with these headphones , the sound I was hearing was coming from the frame against ear-cups and  i ended up pushing a small amount of cotton wool into the grove of the back of the ear cup hinge where hinge and frame touch the cup and since then no more problems. Not sure if this is the same problem but this has been the only negative thing i have found with these headphones.

I have been an avid headphone collector and have brought and sold numerous headphones (much to the distress of my wife and family) and from my personal view listening extensively through cowon players (J3,S9,I9, I10, D20, X7) amped and unamped for blues rock, rock I have spent a lot of time doing comparisons between these headphones and my other favorite on ear  portable headphones in my collection

These are still my pick of the bunch i currently own (momentum, amperior, HD25-ii, Harman Kardon Cl and Soho, Jabra revo, Kef m500, phillips shl9700, v moda m80 ) for the sound I enjoy and are closest to best of my larger over ear collection.

It was interesting that like yourself  the small clicking/cracking sound was very frustrating and while intermittent - was potentially going to spoil what is a great sounding set of headphones. I hope you are able to resolve,

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #138 of 210
I really enjoy the pairing of my DX90 + HPH-200 + 12AX7/FU32 Tube Amp combo as my office headphone rig. Really good price/performance ratio. The HPH-200 does very well for string instruments and pairing it with a tube amp is perfect for casual office listening.

Sep 12, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #139 of 210
I’m currently looking for a replacement/upgrade for a pair of Koss Porta Pro. The Koss are very comfortable and I like the sound signature. Has anyone compared the Koss Porta Pro with the Yamaha HPH-200?

I'm mostly using a PC and a Fiio E17 DAC/Amp when listning to my headphones.

Regards,
Henrik

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #140 of 210
I've updated the main post to make it more useful.
happy_face1.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #141 of 210
  I’m currently looking for a replacement/upgrade for a pair of Koss Porta Pro. The Koss are very comfortable and I like the sound signature. Has anyone compared the Koss Porta Pro with the Yamaha HPH-200?

I'm mostly using a PC and a Fiio E17 DAC/Amp when listning to my headphones.

Regards,
Henrik

Based on measurements, both have a pretty similar boost in the mid-bass so both have a warm signature. That said, HPH-200's bass seems to be a little bit more linear and extended. The biggest difference is in the treble, between 6KHz and 10KHz. Porta Pros measure darkish, while these Yamahas measure bright. I guess, HPH-200s should provide a more detailed and airier presentation in comparison.

Best Luck!

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #143 of 210
Haven't visited this thread for a while.
As for the cracking sounds, I've not come across it yet.
Also with regards to ear pads replacement I can confirm that the sony MDR-V150 (70mm) ear pads fit quite well (although not as comfortable).

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #144 of 210
Would these be good for EDM, or closed cans would be better for that kind of music?

I can get the HPH 200 for under €65 which seems like a good deal, but CAL is €10 less and I am thinking that the CAL might be better for EDM because they are closed?

Also how do they compare to the Superlux HD668B which are about half the price?

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #146 of 210
Would these be good for EDM, or closed cans would be better for that kind of music?

I can get the HPH 200 for under €65 which seems like a good deal, but CAL is €10 less and I am thinking that the CAL might be better for EDM because they are closed?

Also how do they compare to the Superlux HD668B which are about half the price?

Yeh a closed back can is generally better for bass heavy music. I found the hph-200 to be a bit light on bass for edm. Ive never heard the CAL unfortunately so I can't comment on it, but the koss portapro isn't too bad it has fairly good bass and can be bought fairly cheaply, it's only downside is it has poor isolation.
I found the hph-200 more comfortable than the 668B which had fairly stiff earpads and the head piece cushions were not that comfortable. However the 668B sounded better to my ears, being a full size can it soundsmuch more open and spacious and the overall sound quality is great for the price.

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #148 of 210
Yeh a closed back can is generally better for bass heavy music. I found the hph-200 to be a bit light on bass for edm. Ive never heard the CAL unfortunately so I can't comment on it, but the koss portapro isn't too bad it has fairly good bass and can be bought fairly cheaply, it's only downside is it has poor isolation.
I found the hph-200 more comfortable than the 668B which had fairly stiff earpads and the head piece cushions were not that comfortable. However the 668B sounded better to my ears, being a full size can it soundsmuch more open and spacious and the overall sound quality is great for the price.

So the portapros have better bass than the hph-200? In an earlier post in this thread you wrote that the Yamaha's "bass, treble and soundstage are better.", did you change your mind?

Would the 668B be better for EDM than the hph-200, or should I be looking at totally closed cans?

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #149 of 210
   So the portapros have better bass than the hph-200? In an earlier post in this thread you wrote that the Yamaha's "bass, treble and soundstage are better.", did you change your mind?

Would the 668B be better for EDM than the hph-200, or should I be looking at totally closed cans?

Yeh my initial impressions were from both cans in stock form, out of the box the portapro bass is quite bloated and muddy where as the yamahas are more controlled and balanced. I have modded my portapros a bit so they're much more to my liking now. I would still say the treble and soundstage are probably better on the hph-200 thought the modded portapros are not bad. There maybe a way to mod the yamahas to make them better i havent really looked into it. That being said if you can pick either one for cheap they're not a bad option, it all depends if you prefer to have some kind of isolation or not. I really wouldnt use either if you plan to use them for commuting. For that a closed back is much better and will generally give a better bass response.
The best can i've heard for edm thats fairly cheap is the ultrasone hfi-580, it has quite a V shaped sound with fantastic bass which sounds amazing for edm, hiphop, pop and rock. If you want the best then you'll want the ultrasone pro900 imo, its more expensive but the bass is simply phenomenal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back