Yamaha HPH-200 (Pictures and review) [Updated]
Mar 8, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #106 of 210
I don't get the big head problems. My HPH-200's are down 3 or 4 clicks on each side, and my head's not unduly large. Unless everyone's laughing behind my back and I've just never figured it out. Maybe my ears are down lower on my head, who knows? I like these headphones a lot, but as a second pair to hear things from a different angle, as the open design demands listening conditions that I only occasionally have access to (i.e. peace and quiet and solitude).

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #107 of 210
No, I have got them down a couple of clicks each side.  Not as bad as my pro500's (no clicks and still a little loose) but I can see how a teenager or girl with a smaller head may have issues. 
I agree, they compliment my other sets well for when I want an open set.  I have been listening to them non stop for the last week and loving them for what I paid.  They outclass a number of my more expensive closed sets.  Very light and comfortable.  More so than my other closed set (grado sr125's) but I think the grado's outclass them in terms of detail (but not bass response). 

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #108 of 210
Wow, I am staggered by how much I am liking these.  I did not realise it till I played around with volume but these sound great at low and high volumes - have to have them higher when at work with all the noise but quiet listening at home is perfect at lower volumes.  The bass response is really good for an open phone and the clarity/detail is great.  They are light on the ears and head.  they are my go-to cans at the moment.  Staggered I only paid $50 for them.  they are only power hungry in a loud environment but that is the price you pay for open cans.  I can happily live with it for this price/performance ratio.  I saw that the site I bought them off is still selling them - based on my experience they should all be gone by now.  They are a secret gem that should be exploited!

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #109 of 210
  Wow, I am staggered by how much I am liking these.  I did not realise it till I played around with volume but these sound great at low and high volumes - have to have them higher when at work with all the noise but quiet listening at home is perfect at lower volumes.  The bass response is really good for an open phone and the clarity/detail is great.  They are light on the ears and head.  they are my go-to cans at the moment.  Staggered I only paid $50 for them.  they are only power hungry in a loud environment but that is the price you pay for open cans.  I can happily live with it for this price/performance ratio.  I saw that the site I bought them off is still selling them - based on my experience they should all be gone by now.  They are a secret gem that should be exploited!

Nah they won't sell anytime soon. They have no marketing so no one knows about them. This is a good thing though, if they fail to sell out they'll discount them even further which means i'll be getting a second or even a third or forth set lol.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #110 of 210
True I am tempted to get another set but part of me also says there will be other things to try in the future.  I also have so many cans now and not enough ears to wear them!  Slow down!

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #111 of 210
Man these Yamaha's can certainly hold their own. Received a pair of Sol Republic Master Tracks XC today, gave them a side by side test. Apart from the normal open and closed back differences honestly there wasn't much difference in sound quality. Considering the master tracks are double the price of the Yamaha's makes it all the more impressive. Makes me very tempted to splurge on some pro500's :D

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #112 of 210
I love them, but I think I'm gonna sell the HPH-200's. Open headphones aren't practical for me now, and as much as I want to keep them I don't really want to own two pairs of nice headphones (by my standards, at least, nice ones). My Sony 7520's are closed, and will be good for me for a while, I imagine.

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #113 of 210
ONe pair??????  Whoops, not sure what I am going to do with my dozen or so...

Interesting the differences in sound that I get just from switching between my mp3 players.  Trying my iriver e10 with them at the moment (had to bring it out of cold storage) and the bass is a lot tighter than with my sansa clip+.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #114 of 210
  I love them, but I think I'm gonna sell the HPH-200's. Open headphones aren't practical for me now, and as much as I want to keep them I don't really want to own two pairs of nice headphones (by my standards, at least, nice ones). My Sony 7520's are closed, and will be good for me for a while, I imagine.

Apart from the obvious open/closed back differences how are the 7520's in comparison to the hph-200's?

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #115 of 210
Apart from the obvious open/closed back differences how are the 7520's in comparison to the hph-200's?

200s have a treble presence that 7520s don't. 7520s maybe truer in that regard, but for the 200s it can make up for lack of clarity in some recordings, by adding some higher-freq texture to guitar mids, for example. Problem is my ears are a bit sensitive (not in a good way) to high freqs, so I can listen to the 7520s for much longer. I think the 7520s are smoother. The open/closed difference is there, and the 200s can handle congested low/mid stuff w/o getting boomy, but they also sometimes give to much separation for me, so like again with treble occasionally a cymbal will sound like it's coming from outside the recording. Which is interesting, but slightly too expansive for me. But regarding the congestion, and maybe a lot of my observations, it also has to do with what I listen to, which is a lot of badly recorded or lo-fi music by today's standards. But I like them both a lot, just that that 200s aren't practical for me now like I said. I love the look of the 200 grills, too, awesome.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #116 of 210
  200s have a treble presence that 7520s don't. 7520s maybe truer in that regard, but for the 200s it can make up for lack of clarity in some recordings, by adding some higher-freq texture to guitar mids, for example. Problem is my ears are a bit sensitive (not in a good way) to high freqs, so I can listen to the 7520s for much longer. I think the 7520s are smoother. The open/closed difference is there, and the 200s can handle congested low/mid stuff w/o getting boomy, but they also sometimes give to much separation for me, so like again with treble occasionally a cymbal will sound like it's coming from outside the recording. Which is interesting, but slightly too expansive for me. But regarding the congestion, and maybe a lot of my observations, it also has to do with what I listen to, which is a lot of badly recorded or lo-fi music by today's standards. But I like them both a lot, just that that 200s aren't practical for me now like I said. I love the look of the 200 grills, too, awesome.

Thanks for the comparison. I am surprised to hear that the 7520 have less treble presence than the 200s. I was going to try the 7520 out but considering that I already find the 200s lack a bit of the top end sparkle that i like i may have to pass on them.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #117 of 210
I'm trying to find an around-the-ear earpad to replace the on-the-ear velour pads that come with HPH-200. Something like the Grado G cush. Does anyone have any recommendation? I tried the G cush but it simple does not fit.

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #118 of 210
  I'm trying to find an around-the-ear earpad to replace the on-the-ear velour pads that come with HPH-200. Something like the Grado G cush. Does anyone have any recommendation? I tried the G cush but it simple does not fit.

Me too. I'm also looking for something that will make it around the ear. Try and see if any pads fit without taking the HPH200 velours off, try and wrangle it aorund

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #120 of 210
  Me too. I'm also looking for something that will make it around the ear. Try and see if any pads fit without taking the HPH200 velours off, try and wrangle it aorund

I was thinking about taking off the velour pads and using double sided tape with Grado G cush. :/ Any idea what other replacement pads (for any headphone) are around the ear? Most I see are on-ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back