Yamaha HPH-200 (Pictures and review) [Updated]
Feb 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #61 of 210
  I have L1 dan HPH-200, and L1 bass is better than HPH-200. mid and treble are slightly clearer on HPH-200 though. the cup material, however, is much better in L1, but it is hotter. cup material in HPH is cooler but more 'itchy'.

can you A/B the asg 1.2 and x10?

update: fidelio L1 is on sale in down under, to AUD 99:

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/37325

Wow, 50 AUD for the HPH-200!  They are my favorite headphones and this price is a steal!

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #62 of 210
Ah, actually I got them for $30 delivered, as I got credit from the same site for purchasing something else recently (sort of a "would you like fries with that?" sale).  Hoping they are everything that people are talking about.  Normally we get the raw end with prices here in Australia but you do come across the odd deal.

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #63 of 210
I just hit the trigger on these as well, for AUD$58 (US$52) delivered, they are a steal. After this experiment, if I don't find a good use for these open cans in the future they might pop up in the buy/sell forum. I already have some EPH-100's and love those, hopefully these will be impress as well :).

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #64 of 210
We have similar phones, Psyllium.  I also own the ath-esw9's.  I think they are great and I have been using them today but I am just addicted to this headphone game.  Amazing how much difference you can get in sound for so little money (that said, my esw9's were not cheap).  Going to have to sell my ones that are not getting enough love as my wife is starting to get worried about my fetish.  I used to change components in my home theatre/hifi rig but this is certainly cheaper (or so I keep telling her). 
I notice you also have the senn. hd25's.  Be interesting to hear your thoughts on these in relation to the hph-200's.  I nearly pulled the trigger on these from the same site (for a great price locally). 

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #66 of 210
Yeah, $52 is amazingly cheap. If I were in Australia I would buy another pair just to give to a friend as a gift, at that price.

Me too. It's a too good deal to pass on.

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #67 of 210
well I am just hoping that the limited hype that these phones have garnered is accurate.  I have a pair of grado sr125's but find their durability and fit to be questionable.  The swivelling cups on them also irritate me, what with the cord getting twisted (hope it does not effect the cable over time).  The left side cup has also come away from the headband.  Not sure how to fix this.

Sooooo, I hope that those people saying that they are as good if not better than lower end grado cans is true.  These will be my first open can for a while, had a bit of a closed can binge
L3000.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #68 of 210
Here's a link from a page with some expandable images that can't fail to be of interest to fans of the "semi-nomadic" HPH-200s. It's in French, so I don't know what it says, but it contains the only images I've seen of them taken apart.

http://on-mag.fr/index.php/topaudio/tests-auditions/11362

After seeing the pictures assuring the pads could be removed, I bought some replacement earpads, to try a leatherette type:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00861F81G

They fit, but though they had the widest holes (inner diameter) of any earpads I saw of this 70mm (outer diameter) size, I still had to stretch them out a bit so that they weren't partially covering the grill on the inside (or whatever it's called that has the little holes where the driver's sound comes out of). I used the cap of a mouthwash bottle, which has a steadily increasing circumference. The pad's inner diameter is now wide enough, but I have to do something about the fact that there's no fabric or foam over the middle. I'm thinking tights or hose, but haven't figured out how to fix the fabric so its taut and not folded or wrinkled. I could have (maybe should have) got these below instead, since they already have the fabric, but they seemed to have a smaller inner diameter, judging form the pictures, which would need stretching out more (both are 70mm in terms of outside diameter):

http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Replacement-Technica-Professional-Headphone/dp/B00B1YWIZ4

Anyway, thought I'd share...

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #69 of 210
Why aren't these reviewed more often? I am really close to buying these for home use. They look terrific. Would love to see comparisons with it's closest competitors: Sennheiser HD-25, Martin Logan Mikros 90 and Beyerdynamic DT-1350-80. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #70 of 210
Review

Very light and comfy, nice fabric velour earpads.

Sound is balanced and very lively, punchy, fruity
darthsmile.gif
, airy, extremely detailed with precise reverbs and echo effects heard crystal clear.  The soundstage is wide and more 2d than 3d, probably because of the small earcups, so you won't get an enveloping sound like with the JVC ha-rx900s.  None of the headphones I've tried have come close to these in terms of detail and clarity.  The sound can be a little bit fatiguing with the bright sound, so they are not easy listening cans but they make excellent mixing headphones and they compliment my other headphones, the Philips uptowns and philips shp3000 which are more laid back and warmer.  The amount of bass is pleasing although they do not extend too low, not as low as the Philips cans.  I got mine for £60 off ebay which is superb value for these underrated headphones.

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #71 of 210
I have too many cans but couldn't pass these up at $58 delivered. Might also gave a listen then sell

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #73 of 210
Feb 28, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #74 of 210

Just got these. Sounds good do far. Does burn in help because there is some congestion I hear.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #75 of 210
wow, you got those fast.  Did you order from the same site as me (COTD) or somewhere else?  When did you purchase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back