Yamaha HPH-200 (Pictures and review) [Updated]
Nov 30, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #31 of 210
I ordered a pair of Yamaha HPH-200 which arrived today. They're very natrual, smooth with good presence.

I am not sure how these are being overlooked but they sound very good even fresh out of the box, especially for the price I received them.

Here's some pics and I'll give some impressions at a later date.

popcorn.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #32 of 210
I am curious what you think.

They hold up extremely well compared to my Sennheiser HD598, 239, Beyerdynamic DT880, T50p (sold them kept Yamaha), Ultrasone Pro 750...etc.

One of the Most underrated headphones out there in my opinion. Love them.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #33 of 210
HPH-200 resembles Chinese "Astrotec AS100" which is a cheap portable semi-open headphone.LMEU sells for S$30 and MP4 sells for $36.50. I might giv a shot soon, as past 6 months I'm eyeing it. It has 40mm Mitsubishi Diaphragm, foldable design.

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #34 of 210
  HPH-200 resembles Chinese "Astrotec AS100" which is a cheap portable semi-open headphone.LMEU sells for S$30 and MP4 sells for $36.50. I might giv a shot soon, as past 6 months I'm eyeing it. It has 40mm Mitsubishi Diaphragm, foldable design.

Are you sure? I doubt.  HPH-200 is 48 ohms and Astrotec AS100 - 32ohms.

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #35 of 210
  Are you sure? I doubt.  HPH-200 is 48 ohms and Astrotec AS100 - 32ohms.

I meant external looks. And could be same OEM'mer for both but different VC impedance, instead of TRUE rebranding.
you know, just like FA -DBA02 and Bwavz B2 for example.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #36 of 210
My friend in Singapore said that this model is on sale there, and he can buy one (or several) for me at around USD 65. Just ordered a pair and he will bring it to me by the month-end. Now thinking whether should order more :)

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #44 of 210
I've seen these for £69 on ebay (UK) and the shop is actually just a 20 min bus ride away so I'll pop down there when I get a chance. I wasn't seriously considering these but they're £50 cheaper than the HD558 and everything I've read seems to be positive. Hopefully they'll blow me away so I can stop going through the motions of deciding between HD558/DT990/k240...

edit: actually, that seller looks very dodgy (84% on amazon).

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #45 of 210
I recently got these headphones and have mixed feelings. One thing is that that they may not be the best for my listening conditions. I've never had any other open-back headphones, but at least with these I need to be in a very quiet room to really enjoy them fully. My living room's open to my kitchen, and when the loud refrigerator fan goes on it disrupts the listening experience with these, specifically the bass. Maybe it's because I tend to listen at lower volumes. Similarly, I can't really be on my balcony with them because of ambient noises outside, even though I'm on a small little street. Are all open-back phones this location-sensitive?

When I do find a nice quiet space, these headphones regularly surprise me. Just yesterday I was listening to some old-school death metal, and suddenly I had a reaction like someone (my wife) had spoken to me. I wanted to remove the headphones so as not to be rude. But it was actually a guitar solo that had just come in from a place not previously occupied by any instruments in the stereo field of the song. The guitar was in the same sonic range as a female voice, but I think it was the degree of separation that the headphones produced which made me think for a split second that the sound had come from further outside.

I don't feel they are as neutral as some others have said. I feel sometimes that I have to focus too much to weed through high frequencies that may be over-expressed. I like to hear bass-lines as opposed to just feeling their impact. With these headphones I get a good sense of how the bass guitar sounds as it's coming out of the bass amp, its textures, but I feel I'm mentally repressing highs in order to do so. Another way of saying this is that the presence of the highs prevents me from being able to turn up the volume in order to hear bass that I would like to be a bit louder. If I were to get the bass (which sounds so good down there, I know) to the relative levels I want, the highs would be too much, even piercing. I don't want to blast my music, it's just that what I consider comfortable listening levels are almost always reached with these headphones by the highs before the mids or lows.

Has anyone else found this to be so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back