Yamaha HP-1
Mar 17, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #16 of 18
Let's say it's been quite a while since I lastly listened to it. And that was without a dedicated headphone amp. But my reference then (can't remember what it was, maybe a Pickering two-way coaxial system or a Micro-Seiki electrostat) made me think it was flat, lifeless, compressed, dry in the treble – not overly so, but tendentially – and not too clean and transparent. I'd like to hear it again today, but I doubt I'd be forced to change my opinion.

Mar 17, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #17 of 18
thanks for all the great info!! my personal take on the cans is that, compared with the grado sr60, they are much smoother, have much more detail, and have less background hiss from the same amplification; in fact, the HP-1's sound to my ear to have a completely black background from virtually all sources, though the sound obviously increases with better amplification. they definitely arent as forward as the grados, which takes a bit away from their performance on rock and techno. also, they barely make a noise when hooked directly to my ipod. i dont know how they compare with current high end cans like the hd600 or rs1, the sr60 is the best i have (these HP-1's are my dad's). all in all, a GREAT pair of cans worth checking out on ebay if you can find a pair. very comfy too!

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #18 of 18
These are indeed very fine resolving headphones. Think Magneplanar Tympani speakers! Then you'll understand. 

Quote:
thanks for all the great info!! my personal take on the cans is that, compared with the grado sr60, they are much smoother, have much more detail, and have less background hiss from the same amplification; in fact, the HP-1's sound to my ear to have a completely black background from virtually all sources, though the sound obviously increases with better amplification. they definitely arent as forward as the grados, which takes a bit away from their performance on rock and techno. also, they barely make a noise when hooked directly to my ipod. i dont know how they compare with current high end cans like the hd600 or rs1, the sr60 is the best i have (these HP-1's are my dad's). all in all, a GREAT pair of cans worth checking out on ebay if you can find a pair. very comfy too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back