YAMAHA HA-L7A
Dec 26, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #31 of 38
I tried this amp. I usually watch movies using headphones, so I was interested in this amplifier's cinema mode.
As usual, I connected Arya Stealth and tried out ''Jaws (1975)'' and ''The Pianist (2002)''. In addition to skillful layering in "highlights" with background music, it was extremely effective in quiet dialogue scenes where the sound would normally sound flat with headphones. The sound is arranged three-dimensionally! I think this is a very well-thought-out reproduction of the sound field. That's excellent. Compared to the ADI-2 DAC that was nearby, the difference was obvious. For those who watch movies with headphones, this cinema mode can be a revelation.
I would buy this Yamaha Cinema DSP technology as soon as it became available at a lower price.

In addition to Arya Stealth, I also tried HE1000SE and YH-5000SE, but I liked Arya Stealth. I used to own a HE1000SE for movies because I fell in love with its top-notch technology, but when I tried using it at home, the voice was so far away that I couldn't concentrate on the movie, so I ended up letting it go. I tried it again it with HA-L7A, but the basic characteristics of HE1000SE did not change. But that's just my personal preference, and I think it's YMMV. Needless to say, HE1000SE was several times better than Arya Stealth.

If you watch movies with headphones, this amp is worth a try. We hope for the future development of Cinema DSP technology.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #32 of 38
Hi
I tried in store in Japan for about 3 hours.

YamaAmp.jpg

In this case I tried with in-store Senn HD800s, Yamaha 5000se (Serial number less than 100!) and Sony Z1R.

ISSUE
The USB audio sources I tried were FiiO R7 and my Sony Xperia 1 V phone using their default music player apps. A variety of 44.1-192khz flac files.
  • Amp firmware 1.01
  • Phone using default audio player
No issues from the R7, but my phone took some attempts just to get it to handshake with the HA-L7A, it would just play music through the phones speaker, had to play around, turn the amp off and on, checking if my phone said the volume was for usb or not, once a connection was established it would stay connected, BUT, it would be on and off if selecting a song would actually play or not. The quality of the file didn't affect the reliability.

I had to keep checking the source info on the amp to see if it was detecting a signal while selecting songs. The Amp would show the correct bit rate of the file being played if it worked, or just display ---/--- if it didn't want to. This issue only happened while selecting a song, not while playing. Sometimes I had to tap the same song like 7 times for it to actually start.
YamaAmp2.jpg

The amp has a DAC lock range option set to default 2. (1 is least strict, least precise, 3 may drop out on some devices).
I need to go back and try it set to 1 with my phone to see if this issue stops. Of course if I took it home my PC would be the USB source.

The day after thoughts
I still want to listen to music through this amp, I'm actually wondering if I should drop cash and keep it...

Initial thoughts
I had a lot of fun. I actually like all the options it presents making me want to try many songs with many settings. In the past I just had a simple press play and listen setup, so it revitalizes my collection in that regard, at least at first while your having fun with all the features. I don't know if I would continue to keep changing / enabling & disabling options long term or if its a honeymoon period thing though.

I didn't think any of the three headphones sounded particularly bad through the amp, but my current option (Sim Audio Moon 240i stereo amplifiers headphone jack) is simply not worth pulling the HD800 out for. Its like comparing listening with a string and paper cups vs being there, probably making my impressions way more positive than those with a lot of experience.

You get VERY different sound with the sound field options. These are not subtle at all.
Usually I like just pure direct, but to my surprise some of these filters actually didn't sound like horror with additional horror. But it was very song specific if they worked or not.
  • Outdoor Live
    Some 70's and 80's rock studio recordings, like AC/DCs High Voltage album was actually not bad. Especially if you hate hearing guitar coming out 100% from left headphone, which you are immediately subjected to on the first track.
  • Music Video
    I couldn't say worse or better, it really depends if you want to play with altering the sound of the original recordings or not. I can't really describe it other than trying to push the music away from your head and more coming from in front of you. i/e some aggressive cross feed option.
  • Concert Hall
    Adds quite a lot of reverb, sometimes didn't kill the music either.
  • BGM
    I didn't really like at all, just sounded more muted, not relaxed, just broken.
  • Straight
    This is essentially unaltered, but allows you to still play with normal DAC filters. Which I left mostly on the default Short Latency setting ("An original digital filter by Yamaha"). To be honest I couldn't tell what any of those filters did. I'll have to try listening to specific sources with the filters descriptions and see if I can actually detect anything or not.
  • Cinema/Drama.
    I didn't listen long enough to really describe. They both did prevent hard left/right sounds from staying hard left/right.
Overall all options other than Straight add crosstalk. Basically trying to stop the feeling you specifically get listening to headphones (exaugurated separation). So no hard left/right sounds.

I stress that these changes are very obvious, I noted in Concert Hall when pausing the music you can hear echo and reverb die off over like 1/4 of a second. So I imagine some people instant hating them, some loving them. Some wishing you can dial the strength of the effect back a bit. Unfortunately its all or nothing.
Yamahas descriptions of Sound Field Mode can be read here: https://manual.yamaha.com/av/22/hal7a/en-US/10141178891.html

Comparing Headphones
I enjoyed all three headphones through the amp. All headphones showed very different sound signatures and worked well with different kind of music each.
With High Gain on, volume was set to:
-27db HD800 - 1/4 inch unbalanced
-30db 5000 - 4.4mm balanced
-33db Z1R - 4.4mm balanced
I had to lower the volume when trying Sound Fields.
All ports are rated the same 1000 mW + 1000 mW.

I think when listening generally, I will lower those levels by 10db. But of course I'm trying to pay attention to minor detail so kind of over-drove my ears than I usually do for a couple of hours.

This makes me want all three headphones:
Guns n Roses Back in Black - Sony sounded most fun, HD800s worst
Maroon 5 Best For You - HD800s most fun. The Sony worst - bass was like putting a bucket over your head, too overpowering.
Norah Jones - Come Away with Me - Both sounded fine. It took a moment to adjust to the different headphone though. I felt the piano at 49sec sounded like nails on a chalkboard though. Had to drop the volume quickly there.

As for YH-5000SE, For low end, If HD800s is 0% and Z1R is 100%, Yamaha would be like 40%

Kind of apply that logic to all songs if bass is your only distinction. Listening out for sparkly sounds (hi-hats, chimes, like key rattling sounds etc) I was fine with all three. My hearing seems to cut off around the 15khz mark if that matters.
Yahama was just the safest choice for listening to any song (product of Yamaha Amp +Yamaha Headphones?). At first it sounded like female voices and guitar were a bit distant though. That might be down to that 3khz drop vs push that most headphones go for? I also heard less recording hiss in songs like Dire Straits Private Investigations. Which YH-5000SE was most fun for.
Having said that after listening and comparing again the differences other than bass were less pronounced.

Next Step
To go back with my own HD800 headphones, and A/B the Yamaha amp with other amps (at least one tube). Also see if DAC lock level 1 fixes the issue with using my phone as a source.

More background
My only benchmark at this stage is that I used to have a Lehmann audio linear usb purchased back in 2010 along with HD800 headphones (SN in 06000 range). I just chose that amp since that was the amp Senn used to show off their HD800s back then.
I sold it in 2017 moving to Japan. 220-240v country to 100v, plus to help with the moving cost. Still have the headphones though.

Actually I wonder how these headphones hold up compared to when I first bought them. The right ear cable started flaking, I replaced the pads recently with the intention to buy an amp to use them again, but even the plastic started warping, hopefully that isn't a civilization of microscopic beasts growing in the plastic.
Edit: looks purely paint related actually. Plastic shape still holds.
YeOlde.jpg

Blame the humidity in Japan?

At the moment I have just the stereo amplifier with built in headphone jack. I can get volume but music with HD800 through it just sounds very lacking, I would even say painful. My litmus test is usually Hotel California (esp the first 52 second intro with interesting sound effects and instruments being hard left and right, and 3:28 -> 5:39). This is a good test for cross talk filters if any etc too, if you hate instruments being hard left/right like one ear is blocked/broken. But basically I hate the sound of the song on many setups and love it on few. Like it seems to be the song that changes the most, from mud to glorious.

To me the 800 with Lehmann, even its onboard dac made this song dance. I wasn't the only one too. The purchaser of the amp (Who also purchased 800s headphones) even asked me why does Hotel California sound so good through the amp compared to everything else he has heard the song through.

For this in store experience, In general comparing all headphones with this Yamaha amp. I enjoyed Hotel California again. With all three headphones. I just wish I could go back in time and do an A/B with my 2010 setup vs today. Not only because the past 7 years could have altered the sound of my HD800s. You glorify your memories too.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #33 of 38
Hi
I tried in store in Japan for about 3 hours.

In this case I tried with in-store Senn HD800s, Yamaha 5000se (Serial number less than 100!) and Sony Z1R.

Nice write-up, thank you for your impressions!

Which headphone store in Japan was this? I am going back in a few months so starting my research now.

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #34 of 38
Nice write-up, thank you for your impressions!

Which headphone store in Japan was this? I am going back in a few months so starting my research now.
e-earphone (eイヤホン)
Japanese website: https://www.e-earphone.jp/

Their website search is broken as it seems it wont always show things they actually have.
But if you google e-earphone + models you can usually find the product pages and which stores has stock for audition.
Flagship where I tried is in Akiba: https://www.e-earphone.jp/user_data/shop_akb/

There is also Fujiya-Avic: https://www.fujiya-avic.co.jp/
Near Nakano station: https://www.fujiya-avic.co.jp/shop/abouts/pg/1a-aa-access/

A lot of people might go there to audition then check mercari, sort of e-bay, an online used market to save money. Though that's probably not an option if you don't live here.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #35 of 38
e-earphone (eイヤホン)
Japanese website: https://www.e-earphone.jp/

Their website search is broken as it seems it wont always show things they actually have.
But if you google e-earphone + models you can usually find the product pages and which stores has stock for audition.
Flagship where I tried is in Akiba: https://www.e-earphone.jp/user_data/shop_akb/

There is also Fujiya-Avic: https://www.fujiya-avic.co.jp/
Near Nakano station: https://www.fujiya-avic.co.jp/shop/abouts/pg/1a-aa-access/

A lot of people might go there to audition then check mercari, sort of e-bay, an online used market to save money. Though that's probably not an option if you don't live here.

Thank you! I will definitely be visiting both of these legendary shops.

Feb 5, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #36 of 38
E-earphone returned their loaner when I went there a couple of days ago so I couldn't do further testing. I asked if they know how long the waiting list is if I order one and it's unknown.

Shame as I had a couple of tests I wanted to do, including seeing what susvara would sound like through it. I tried susvara through HDV820, ifi NEO iDSD2, and luxman p-750u. They could all provide volume but only luxman actually immediately made me feel like I'm closing in on and endgame solution. But want to see where HA-L7A fits. Time to keep looking around a bit. No drama as I need time to save anyway.

My feeling right now
HDV820 - most boring but nothing to really complain about sound. My HD800 are very specific if the song is going to be great or feel like it has no body. But I feel that is inherently the problem with the og HD800. Although one could say once you adjust you realize how clear everything sounds.

ifi - most plasticy. The buttons are annoying to press as they are small and the whole unit slides. The xbass and crossfeed options mean wanting to push them on every song to see what combinations sound best. Some combinations with some headphones sounded outright broken. At first I thought this is cool but over time I'm not so sure if that translates to more flexibility or not though, because I couldn't settle for one mode (i.e. unchanged) for everything like I had to with HDV 820 and felt I could with yamaha despite it giving options. I found I kept flipping between liking and loathing using ifi. The other problem is the exponential volume. Like you hear nothing till 60, 60 to 70 is quiet, then each bump from there is noticably louder

Luxman - Physically huge.
Immediately felt like I'm listening to something different. This really taught me amps really are not just about volume but "power", how they control the headphones. No distractions, just listen. It was closer to that creamy quality I'm looking for.
No sound mode buttons, just input, volume and an L/R balance knob if for some reason you want to listen to music leaned to the left or right. Leaving that center though, immediately all music was more enjoyable.
Turning that volume knob was a pleasure and was very linear and the weight of the whole unit guaranteed a single finger is enough to adjust.
It's purely an amp tho so need a DAC as well.
Hard if not impossible to find outside of Japan though.

But I still want to go back to Yamahas amp for some reason...

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #37 of 38
Luxman P750u I think Luxman dropped the model and replace with Luxman P750 mark II I think. I tried to get a Luxman P750u outside Japan in Australia but the price was ridiculous expensive with double the price in Japan. Too bad the voltage in Japan is 100v I think compare to Australia 240v. The build quality of Luxman is outstanding among other amps.

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #38 of 38
Edits: added lock on issue with phone stock Android player, clarified sound field anomaly, added Yamahas sound field image, and clarified volumes set with headphones.

Fujiya-Avic has a demo model and I had the chance for a round 2 today.
System ver 1.01

This time using Sony music center app off my phone, which has DSD options.
USB Output for DSD1.png
USB Output for DSD2.png
USB Output for DSD3.png

The app even confirms the Yamaha amp when plugged in.
Music Center Yamaha USB DAC.png

Locks on without issue so no drop outs like the first attempt. Worked flawlessly even with DAC lock range set to level 3, apparently the strictest/tightest with highest chance of suffering stutter or dropouts.
So I can rest assured I could use my phone as the file source without any fighting, and have no fans or anything for listening in the quietest possible environment.
HA-L7A Dac Lock Range L3.jpg

Using the stock android music player still had lock on issues no matter what level.

Things I noted this round:
All menus are only available when pure direct is off. However clearly some options such as hi-gain still applies when enabled, despite not being able to access it.

"doof doof" music doesn't play well with sound field DSPs
When I tried with concert hall I noticed a whole new sound much like an NES' 8bit explosion sound added to the mix essentially reflecting of the low "doof" beats. It wasn't headphone damage as I tried two other headphones and it didn't matter what level volume, it would always be there.
So I cycled all DSPs and noted the nature of this "8bit explosion"
(Strength of anomaly, length of decay)
Cinema: mild, very short decay
Drama: very mild, short decay
Music Video: Very Very mild, mid decay
Concert Hall: Very strong, super long decay
Outdoor live: Strong, very short decay
BGM: None (or extremely mild and short decay)
Straight: None

I then tried to actually quantify what I'm generally hearing in these modes. And I really think I need much more than a just a couple of hours of note taking to really put my finger on how exactly the sound is changing. It is drastic, but the more songs I played the more unique differentiators I kept finding, and the more I changed my mind in assessments too.
My current notes are as follows:
Straight: as normal as direct as can be, so dac filters which are virtually indistinguishable nuanced are more a thing

Cinema: Notable reverb of the walls are covered in carpet kind, does seem reminiscent of the cinema. Very much like your sitting there listening to end credits music. Pushes audio infront so stereo imaging is not so far left / right

Drama: A little hollower tad closer thus narrower feeling than cinema but really depends on the source as to how noticeable. Some kick drum sounds seemed a bit more punchy. Must be that lack of "cinema" sound bounce.

Music video: widens that sound stage more compared to cinema / drama. Get less reverb so punchier. Definitely far different from direct source though.

Concert Hall: TONS of reverb. Doesn't work with busier tracks at all, but I feel that way at actual concerts, especially rock and pop. But can make some solo performances more interesting.

Outdoor Live: Sounds closer, the sound decay exists but doesn't reverb or bounce around and sound so messy on busy tracks lile concert hall does. Still

BGM: It just sounds like you added a strange physical layer between you and the source. Its doing something to the bass but I can't figure it out, like if its hollower, the same, or heavier than straight. Seems to depend where the frequencies lie. Maybe I would describe like you put your headphones on top of a hoodie although with the sound being in front of you. Some tracks lows and highs become overpowering, not BGM. I notice bass lines just sound bloated on tracks that have deeper bass overall, and some high pitch instruments can become significantly more forward and piercing. For tracks that are more "mid range" in frequencies overall, it works in making it less of a full headphone stereo experience with crossfading fits the "bgm" name.

Compare that with how Yamaha visually represents their modes:
Note I wrote my thoughts comparing modes without referring to this image.
1710969369479.png

I wanted to see how well the amp could power well known hard to drive headphones, so I plugged in Susvara and tried playing back a DSD track that generally requires you to increase the volume.
I had to set high gain on and was near maxed out in volume, but I didn't feel like it was really struggling in terms of sound signature (didn't notice distortion though test was short). I can easily see people wanting to go louder than what this is capable of with Susvara and on principle I don't particularly like having the volume getting so close to max (I would prefer 20%-15% headroom)
Susvara to HA-L7A.jpg

Susvara to HA-L7A Almost Maxed.jpg

But for other tracks I would usually keep it at -20ishdB with Susvara (so basically 0dB with high gain off), and with Yamaha headphones, HD800, Sony Z1R, I don't even need to turn high gain on and played closer to -27dB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back