Yamaha goes 11.2 with new receiver.
Aug 13, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever seen a 6.1/7.1 etc. recorded dvd? I haven't.

Don't forget DTS ES. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you were thinking mostly 7.1. Oh and don't tell me you changed your avy!

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by poetic guy
Or even 7.1

Blu Ray and HD-DVD. We're starting to see more 7.1's there. 11.2? Heh, you're right, but one might view this Yamaha as basically a spruced up 7.1 system.

Purists would not like that one bit!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm happy with my 5.1 setup and don't see a need to "upgrade" to 11.2 or anything else..

I bet most wouldn't. But just wait until you hear overhead choppers. I'm thinking about Apocalypse Now. That would be sweetness!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #47 of 62
I have not followed HD-DVD nor Blu-Ray, as I didn't follow DVD-Audio nor SACD. When the format wars have a winner, I'll upgrade.

I was speaking of regular DVD.

I change avatars and signatures quite often.

Aug 13, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget DTS ES. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you were thinking mostly 7.1. Oh and don't tell me you changed your avy!

--

Blu Ray and HD-DVD. We're starting to see more 7.1's there. 11.2? Heh, you're right, but one might view this Yamaha as basically a spruced up 7.1 system.

Purists would not like that one bit!

I bet most wouldn't. But just wait until you hear overhead choppers. I'm thinking about Apocalypse Now. That would be sweetness!
smily_headphones1.gif

My receiver has Dolby EX and DTS ES, BTW. It is derrived from a 5.1 input signal.

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

My receiver has Dolby EX and DTS ES, BTW. It is derrived from a 5.1 input signal.

Only if you're speaking of DTS - ES Matrix. That's the matrix decoding that creates extra channels as you excellently described in post #37 & #41. Your receiver could also use Dolby Pro Logic 2x for that.

EX and ES Discrete are playback formats. The receiver doesn't use them to process 6.1. If you don't own DVD's with either, you've never used them. Sorry if you knew that. I mix up all the damn Dolby and DTS formats all the time.

--

I got so excited about the choppers, I forgot about symphony's inquiry:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk
The auto calibration features of receivers are very good, but they should be checked manually to make sure errors did not occur ~~~ Newer, standalone (and in the future, built-in) eq's can/will/do have multiple room sweetspots calibrated.

This is good info.

On a more personal level, I have experience with Audyssey Mult-EQ XT and consider it fantastic. Even after manually matching, eq'ing my speakers, the difference with Audyssey on is usually night and day. We're talking your girlfriend will even notice the difference. I use it approx. seventy five percent of the time now.

For the novice who may be confused, it and Yamaha's YPAO (Sony has their own on newer receivers, Does Pioneer?) is more than phase, level, and crossover calibration. It adds room correction that evens out frequency response. This feature is where the software really earns its paycheck imo.

Audyssey Mult-EQ XT built in does eq for multiple sweet spots by the way. The mic direction doesn't matter as long as it's pointed up and at ear level. I have no experience with any others.

However, my experience with Multi-EQ XT is so positive that for someone looking for a a/v receiver, I would place it or a similar well regarded eq software as a most essential feature.

Yeah, like Prozakk said, it's very good!

AVS has a great thread where the guys really dig into the pro's and cons of the software. There's also some great review links inside. Some of the before and after graphs are stunning!

Aug 13, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #53 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only if you're speaking of DTS - ES Matrix. That's the matrix decoding that creates extra channels as you excellently described in post #37 & #41. Your receiver could also use Dolby Pro Logic 2x for that.

EX and ES Discrete are playback formats. The receiver doesn't use them to process 6.1. If you don't own DVD's with either, you've never used them. Sorry if you knew that. I mix up all the damn Dolby and DTS formats all the time.

--

I got so excited about the choppers, I forgot about symphony's inquiry:

This is good info.

On a more personal level, I have experience with Audyssey Mult-EQ XT and consider it fantastic. Even after manually matching, eq'ing my speakers, the difference with Audyssey on is usually night and day. We're talking your girlfriend will even notice the difference. I use it approx. seventy five percent of the time now.

For the novice who may be confused, it and Yamaha's YPAO (Sony has their own on newer receivers, Does Pioneer?) is more than phase, level, and crossover calibration. It adds room correction that evens out frequency response. This feature is where the software really earns its paycheck imo.

Audyssey Mult-EQ XT built in does eq for multiple sweet spots by the way. The mic direction doesn't matter as long as it's pointed up and at ear level. I have no experience with any others.

However, my experience with Multi-EQ XT is so positive that for someone looking for a a/v receiver, I would place it or a similar well regarded eq software as a most essential feature.

Yeah, like Prozakk said, it's very good!

AVS has a great thread where the guys really dig into the pro's and cons of the software. There's also some great review links inside. Some of the before and after graphs are stunning!

I kinda bowed out of following hometheater's forums and technology advances once I got my HT the way I like it. Following it would only cost more money, wanting to upgrade everytime a new technology is released.

Now I'm into the whole personal audio thing, but I'll be finished with that in a couple months...then onto pimping my 4x4.

I am selling my SVS sub to get 2 of their new Ultra subs. Not that my sub isn't overkill, but in a few years I'll live in a much larger home and the HT will be in a MUCH larger room (about 6x the size of my room now).

Auto calibration is also offered in Denon receivers, though with less features per $, and it uses Audyssey. I never auditioned them due to the premium price, for less features versus Yamaha.

I use auto calibration about every 6 months to re-set-up my HT since things change as equipment ages (both the amps and speakers). I them fine tune using the graphic EQ (never boosting frequencies, only a little cutting here and there to please myself).

P.S. Thanks for the kind words VM. You're okay for an
blink.gif
Okie!
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #54 of 62
Quote:

Wrong.

http://www.audyssey.com/

Nope, sorry, still can't do a large seating area, by single seat standards. Sure, better than nothing, but not a magic bullet, either.

Actually, seeing that the audyssey messes with the analog signal in the time domain, I'm not sure I would mess with it unless someone gave me one to try for free. I'd much rather just treat the room. Cool idea, I'd love to see them do it in digtal.

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #56 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, sorry, still can't do a large seating area, by single seat standards. Sure, better than nothing, but not a magic bullet, either.

Actually, seeing that the audyssey messes with the analog signal in the time domain, I'm not sure I would mess with it unless someone gave me one to try for free. I'd much rather just treat the room. Cool idea, I'd love to see them do it in digtal.

It's designed to do what you say it can't. You can't deny it unless you try it.

I haven't heard it, so I can't swear by it. I'm happy to sit in the sweet spot, and care less about the rest of the seating in my HT. Have had no complaints from visitors, so something must be done right (YPAO).
cool.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #57 of 62
Quote:

It's designed to do what you say it can't. You can't deny it unless you try it.

I haven't heard it, so I can't swear by it. I'm happy to sit in the sweet spot, and care less about the rest of the seating in my HT. Have had no complaints from visitors, so something must be done right (YPAO).
cool.gif

http://www.regonaudio.com/Directiona...o%20Stereo.htm
http://www.regonaudio.com/What%20Can...%20Stereo.html

Try those two links, which explain how our hearing works. It is impossible for a large seating area to be "as good" or even close to sitting centered between the speakers. I think it's simply physically impossible. The time of the L and R loudspeaker signals cannot arrive at both ears at the same time in most locations, for starters. What the audyssey thing is does the best it can, and as I mentioned, it's probably better than nothing. I'm curious how its fuzzy logic works. I'm not saying the thing doesn't WORK, I'm just saying nothing can be as good as the sweet spot. In fact, it could make it so that the sweet spot isn't as good as it could be, as it tries to make the other seats measure better. I'm sure the device works fine.

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #58 of 62
I only care about the sweet spot as said previously. If I didn't already have YPAO and user settable equalization built in to my receiver, I'd be wanting it. But only for tweaking the sweetspot.

My room is a bass nightmare, but I plan on buying a Behringer DSP1124P Feedback Destroyer Pro w/Parametric EQ, since my receiver's EQ is only built to tweak above 63hz.

I realized how bad my room was once I gave my parents my 2 Paradigm PW-2200 v.2's and despite their larger room, it's sound blew away the performance I got in my living room.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #60 of 62
I just got this email from the main cat at Audioholics.com, Gene DellaSala:

"Time is Running Out!

Register for the 2007 Audioholics State of the CE Union Party Event in Clearwater Beach, Florida.

Food. Fun. The Beach. Plus AV Demo rooms that will blow your mind!

This is your chance to catch a preview of the new Yamaha RX-Z11 Flagship AV receiver in action.

Of course the email went on and on, but I thought it was pretty cool that they'll be able to put together a demo this quickly. And trust me, these guys rock when it comes to getting the very best out of HT gear, so I'd imagine it will be an excellent presentation. I'm at least thinking about making the effort to get there.

Read more here: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=33487

Users who are viewing this thread

Back