Yamaha EPH-100, Shure SE215, Brainwavz B2. Help me pick one!
May 31, 2012 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Emospence

500+ Head-Fier
^^^ As the title says.

Listened to the Shures and the Brainwavz only, and I can't decide which I prefer o.o

Read a lot of good things about the Yamahas, and I can get them locally for a very reasonable price.

I'd like a balanced sound as I don't really want the bass, mids or treble to be lacking.

With good clarity as well.

These are my top choices as I can easily get them from local stores, but if you guys have any other suggestions I'd definitely look into them.

Many thanks!

May 31, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 12
I would ask about the return policy on the yamaha eph-100 and give them a spin if possible. That way you will have a general idea of how they stack up against the other two. The yamaha eph-100 have to my ears the warm and sweet signature, extended bass and full mids. I find the treble is just a step behind but is delightfully detailed and snappy. Realistic on the other hand that is debatable but it picks up the little details quite well. The sound stage isn't huge, but the imaging is great and the stage is truly three dimensional.

From my experience if you do try the yamaha eph-100 I'd make sure you give them a good break in. My first few days with them they were almost bass cannons but after that they seemed to have settled. Lately I've spent more time with them than my other full size sets.

Good luck hope this helps :)

May 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 12
It's good that you have it down to three, because there is an overwhelming number of competitors in that price range. I had the Shure se215 and liked them, but eventually got rid of them due to a certain veiled sound when compared to others. Brainwave has a good rep - read Joker's review on them.  The Yamaha is something I am burning in and I got them due to the wonderful comments about them in the major appreciation thread. It's tough to decide when you are going by other's comments. But at some point you will need to get one or the other and give it a spin. That's why a lot of folks here wind up with multiple sets.

May 31, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 12
Imo its a no brainer, the EPH-100 is far better than the other 2.  Its balanced and detailed sound with good bass response is much better than the Shure and Brainwavz models.  The 3D presentation is very good on the Yamaha's and imaging and separation is top notch as well.  You can get the EPH-100 for $115 from Audio Affair which is a great deal for how good they sound.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Imo its a no brainer, the EPH-100 is far better than the other 2.  Its balanced and detailed sound with good bass response is much better than the Shure and Brainwavz models.  The 3D presentation is very good on the Yamaha's and imaging and separation is top notch as well.  You can get the EPH-100 for $115 from Audio Affair which is a great deal for how good they sound".

"Best" is subjective, as is "far better".
From a technical standpoint, I don't see the EPH-100 winning over the Brainwavz B2.

But, like I said, everyone has different tastes in sound signature, and what you like best might not be what I like best 
wink.gif

So, a tip to the OP, research what Sound Signature you like and pick accordingly.
The EPH-100 will have a more laid-back smooth sound, while the B2 will have sparkly treble, but less bass.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Imo its a no brainer, the EPH-100 is far better than the other 2.  Its balanced and detailed sound with good bass response is much better than the Shure and Brainwavz models.  The 3D presentation is very good on the Yamaha's and imaging and separation is top notch as well.  You can get the EPH-100 for $115 from Audio Affair which is a great deal for how good they sound.

^ This be the truth! ^ 

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

"Best" is subjective, as is "far better".
From a technical standpoint, I don't see the EPH-100 winning over the Brainwavz B2.

But, like I said, everyone has different tastes in sound signature, and what you like best might not be what I like best 
wink.gif

So, a tip to the OP, research what Sound Signature you like and pick accordingly.
The EPH-100 will have a more laid-back smooth sound, while the B2 will have sparkly treble, but less bass.

Man I was thinking of the M2 and not the B2 so my mistake on that one.  I still don't think the B2 is necessarily better from a technical standpoint.  The EPH-100 sounds just as good if not better than my TF10, PFE 112 and W2.  Really it comes down to what sound signature you like more, analytical BA or balanced dynamic with good bass because both the EPH-100 and B2 are detailed with good presentations.

Jun 1, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 12
EPH-100 FTW! Why?

I had tried the 215, but I found it to be lack of sound stage, and sound muddy. And I end up with the 535LTD.

Brainwavz B2? it is way too analytical. and its twfk BA driver will not give you enough bass. i had the UE700, same driver with B2, but the UE is more musical and less harsh. The only Brainwavz I like is the M1. Best cost to performance ratio.

Yamaha is using a 6mm dynamic driver, but the soundstage is quite amazing. treble is extensive enough. midrange is musical but not messy. and the bass is as punchy as bruce lee hitting your face quickly instead of a heavy WWF fighter meshing your face with his fat fist.

Go for the EPH-100!

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for all the replies guys, it'll probably be a week or 2 before I bite the bullet and make my purchase so keep those suggestions/opinions coming!

biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #11 of 12
From someone coming from the TDK BA200s i will say you really find these lacking bass and the treble is a lot more sparkly, present and detailed. The TDKs are better in the mids and bass quantity and a lot better presentation but the B2 have a lot better treble, bass quality and transparency and clarity across the board. The B2 are amazing earphones but they are very very different to the BA200s!

EDIT: Did not see you had listened to them. Go with what you preferred of the two and try and audition the yamaha!

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 12
Hmmm, I guess it would probably be worth mentioning that the BA200s are near-perfect for me sonically ^^

Quote:
From someone coming from the TDK BA200s i will say you really find these lacking bass and the treble is a lot more sparkly, present and detailed. The TDKs are better in the mids and bass quantity and a lot better presentation but the B2 have a lot better treble, bass quality and transparency and clarity across the board. The B2 are amazing earphones but they are very very different to the BA200s!

EDIT: Did not see you had listened to them. Go with what you preferred of the two and try and audition the yamaha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back