y1 gamma-1 DAC
Mar 14, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #1,246 of 1,546
Maybe the CD players output voltage is higher and so makes it louder. Most people perceive minor volume changes as sounding better. When comparing equipment it important to make sure you match the volume.

That said the CD player might have a decent DAC in it.

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #1,247 of 1,546
zxc, if you're going to plug a γ2 onto that board, I suggest replacing the header pins and receptacles. You've soldered on the the pins which makes them rough, and may damage the receptacle on the γ2 side. Similarly, by shoving wires into the receptacles the contacts inside may have also deformed, and could cause poor contacts too.

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #1,248 of 1,546
Yes, the CD player volume is significantly higher. That might be the reason.

Thanks AMB, maybe I should order a second set of receptacles along with the Gamma-2 board. But I am really not sure how I could "unsolder" the current set. The holes on the board are tinned inside as well right?

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #1,249 of 1,546
Yes, the holes are plated through.

If you have a good desoldering pump (such as Hakko 808) then it's really easy to do this.

Lacking that, it won't be hard if you're not saving the headers and receptacles for re-use. For the headers, just heat each pin and pull it out, one at a time (be careful not to overheat the pad and cause it to lift off the board). For the receptacle, you could break the plastic body first and then desolder each contact separately. You'll then need to clear the holes of solder. A stainless steel dental pick is good for this purpose, just heat the pad and insert the pick into the hole. Solder won't stick to stainless steel.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #1,250 of 1,546
That is one of those applications that Chip Quik works very well for.
wink.gif

Digi-Key - SMD1-ND (Manufacturer - SMD1)

The price makes it a hard pill to swallow until you try it.... but once you do, it becomes one of those essential kind of tools.
Or at least for me it did.

Quote:

A stainless steel dental pick is good for this purpose

Digi-key has a handy little "kit" for that as well.

Digi-Key - 243-1101-ND (Manufacturer - 20214)

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #1,254 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by bburl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have a source for the TI/Burr-Brown PCM2707PJT USB DAC that will ship to Canada?

Patience may be the best answer. Mouser has a significant quantity scheduled inbound of both the PCM2706 and PCM2707 (which are interchangeable).

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #1,255 of 1,546
So, i picked up a motorola phone charger with 5v 300ma output.

Is this ok to run my y1/y2?

also, the jack isn't the correct one, could i just solder the wires to the pcb?

Cant find a jack (male) online, know of any good sources?

There a four pins on the jack(female), are they two hots, two grounds?

thanks for the help

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #1,256 of 1,546
um, you're talking about the plug right? Rather then soldering the wires to the PCB, you can buy the correct plug at your local electronics shop. Digikey has them too. number CP3-1003-ND.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #1,257 of 1,546
It was suggested from a question I posted in the main DIY area, that the y1 would fit my needs.

Here is my original post:
With summer coming, I bought myself a pair of Polk Atrium 60 outdoor speakers.
The plan was to hook them up to my Onkyo SR-606 stereo, via it's Zone 2 area. I also have my HTPC hooked up to that stereo... and wanted to play music off the server to the stereo, thru Zone 2 outside. Audio wise, the HTPC is hooked optical/digital (I have the option of coaxial too). Unfortunatly, I found out that the stereo doesn't output the digital input.

Started reviewing my options and thought of a DAC.
Can anyone point me in the direction of DAC that would fit my needs? Again, these speakers will be outside, so I'm not looking for high quality music.

So, I'm not sure if the y1 would work... I'm not driving speakers directly with the y1, but with the stereo/reciever which the y1 will be outputting to.

Would the y1 work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back