y1 gamma-1 DAC
Apr 20, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #634 of 1,546
Since there are two y1 threads, posting this here too.

Interesting tip, I tested out using an external battery pack for the Gamma1. I picked up two of the Xpal Harry II Lithium-Polymer USB chargers from sellout.woot.com for $10 each. Heres the specs:

Power Capacity: 2000 mAh@5V
Rated Output: DC 5V, Max 500 mA

So far, its been powering my y1 on optical from the M-audio transit for about 20 hours and still showing a full charge on the indicator. I suspect I may get 50-60 hours on one charge (takes 2-3 hours to fully charge). EDIT: Did the math, 2000mAh should only last about 20 hours at a 100mA load. This is great for allowing me to use it with DVD, video games, or listening to music from room to room using the coaxial or toslink inputs. It also powers cellphones, mp3 players, and other portable devices. Battery power may be cleaner then a switching power supply, though this is twice the price for going portable. The cheapest now is $29.99 shipped on ebay, I have no affiliation with any sellers. I'm going to also see if it can play while charging next, its just taking so long for the darn thing to run out of juice.

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #635 of 1,546
I should have picked it up when it was on woot
frown.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #636 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have picked it up when it was on woot
frown.gif

Newegg.com - Tekkeon MP1550 Black Mobile Power & Battery Charger - Cell Phone Accessories

Maybe? With some rechargeable double A batteries, you could make this thing 5000maH and its replaceable batteries. My only concern is the flimsy adapter cable for it, but it would take a standard USB A to USB B (mini) cable too. Plugs for this can be bought too for a few dollars at walmart it seems.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #638 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by stoned22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you connect to the y1 using the USB connector? or does the battery pack have a connector for the 5v jack.

I have one of these lying around A.C.Ryan | Empowering the Data Generation

maybe it might work, i don't have a coaxial source to test it out.

Mini-USB. I have an adapter too, but this is so much more convenient.

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #639 of 1,546
By sanding down only about 0.015" (0.4mm) off each side, the γ1 PCB will fit perfectly into a Box B2-080 series extruded aluminum case (without breaking the USB and the DAC portions apart). The result is the possibility of combining the Full configuration ("A") with the USB-to-S/PDIF converter ("C") in a single unit.

I'll call the new configuration "Full++". This gives you all three switch-selectable inputs (USB/coax/optical) and analog output of the standard "Full" configuration, plus coax and optical outputs when the selector switch is set to the "USB" position. You can thus use γ1 to feed another DAC (or a computer sound card, or anything that accepts S/PDIF coax or optical inputs), all while the γ1's built-in DAC is also active.

To build this configuration, use the Box enclosure as specified (available from Newark and RS components, in various colors), and the combined parts list of the A and C configurations (see the γ1 website). Where a part is listed as required for both configurations, you don't need to double the quantity. You can also omit R7U and LEDU, because the SW1D switch illumination already provides power-on indication.

All jumpers are set the same way as the standard Full config.

Obviously, since the γ1 USB and DAC boards aren't physically plugged into each other in this configuration, you need to connect the two sides with wires. A 5-wire ribbon cable is all that is needed. Connect as follows:

J2U pin 1 (VBUS) -> J4D pin 1
J2U pin 2 (VCC) -> J4D pin 2
J2U pin 3 (GND) -> J4D pin 3
J3U pin 1 (GND) -> J5D pin 1
J3U pin 5 (DATA) -> J5D pin 5

See picture below for an example of how I did this with the ribbon cable on the bottom of the board. I soldered the ribbon cable directly to the pads on the top side without the use of any pin headers or receptacles.

Pins 2, 3 and 4 of J3U and J5D are left unconnected because they are used for I²S in the Lite configuration ("B"), and are unused here.

Note that you cannot combine the Lite config with the USB-to-S/PDIF converter in a similar manner because the PCM2707 speaks I²S there, thus there is no S/PDIF output for coax or optical.

The Box B2-080 enclosure is larger than the Hammond 1455C80x, but still small enough to be called "very compact".

I didn't do this in my build, but due to more internal space and larger panels, this configuration also opens up the possibility of panel-mounting 75Ω BNC jacks for the coax input and output (please use isolated jacks), as well as RCA analog output jacks.

P.S. You can also use this casing solution for a standard Full ("A") or Lite ("B") config build. It will have no coax and optical outputs, but you may wish to do this for the panel-mounted jack options mentioned, or for the the extra case color choices. For the Lite config, you must use an 8-wire ribbon cable and connect all corresponding pads between J3U and J5D.

I don't have the panels done yet, but here are some pics showing the completed γ1 Full++ PCB and the Box B2-080 enclosure in silver.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #644 of 1,546
I got my lite config a week back. As crazy as this sounds, I cant tell the difference between this DAC and my NIE USB DAC (PCM2704) from china.

Tried many listening tests using my HD555 and even if theres a difference, it was barely discernable. Could be because of a low end amplifier Fiio E5 (bass boost is lovely on these) that I'm using or because i'm not good enough to hear the difference.

Tried Asio4all as well thinking it would improve sound but absolutely no difference as well. Any thoughts ? Am i doing it right ?

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #645 of 1,546
Well one thing to note is the source files. If they are low-bitrate files and/or typical rock that is not well produced then hearing a difference can be difficult because the source already has a good bit of noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back