y1 gamma-1 DAC - Aussie Group Buy
Dec 15, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #61 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0b1liz3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I will have to look at this a little more closely. Is there a link for builds that have occurred elsewhere? This DAC is supposed to be much higher quality than the Alient DAC right?

The authoritative source is currently the headwize thread here.

AMB has posted his measurements in post #230 here.

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #62 of 99
hi so FGT are you saying you would like us all to fill out our own BOM?? because thats totall cool; just wondering??

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #63 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure there is one member on the GB who recognises at least part of the BOM format - thanks beefy.

biggrin.gif

The design originally came from a desire to be able to add extra parts at will for myself. But it was also very handy to be able to tick off individual orders before shipping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi so FGT are you saying you would like us all to fill out our own BOM?? because thats totall cool; just wondering??

Just check that everything on the parts list adds up to everything you think you need
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #64 of 99
Hmm, I just wanted some listening impressions. For 140 or so it would have to blow away the Alien DAC. I am wondering if I should look at an Edirol UA 25 or EMU 404 since I am contemplating getting a mic to record an amped guitar. My line6 guitar port just sounds too fake too me but I also want to improve my DAC substantially too.

Dec 15, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #65 of 99
Dec 15, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #66 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just check that everything on the parts list adds up to everything you think you need
smily_headphones1.gif

Beefy is correct. You need to go through the Excel Spreadsheet and check that I have listed only what you expect. I will use the Excel spreadsheet as the basis for the order. If the part is on the sheet, it will be ordered. If the part is not on the sheet, it won't be ordered.

If anything is incorrect, please let me know ASAP.

As a final step, I will then enter all of the parts at Digikey tomorrow night, and send you all the list from Digikey - just to double check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

The design originally came from a desire to be able to add extra parts at will for myself. But it was also very handy to be able to tick off individual orders before shipping.

It's a good plan.

Dec 15, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #67 of 99
Just wondering, do you guys reckon i should get some of the 0.025 inch solder from digikey for SMD's?

The smallest jaycar stock is 7.1mm.

Also, which solder mixture is the best for this sort of work? I only have some 1mm 60/40 tin/lead solder atm.

Dec 15, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #68 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bismar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering, do you guys reckon i should get some of the 0.025 inch solder from digikey for SMD's?

No. The weight will increase shipping costs far more than it will save you.

Quote:

The smallest jaycar stock is 7.1mm.

I think you'll find it is 0.71mm, which is pretty bloody close at 0.028 inch.

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #69 of 99
Wow, now this is how you organise a GB. Impressive work, Rob.
I think I'll pass on this one, I already have a few projects on the go and really shouldn't add another right now.

And beefy, if you really want some thinner solder, I have some 0.015" 63/37. I can pop a bunch of it in the mail if you want, would be about $5 to post.

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #70 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And beefy, if you really want some thinner solder, I have some 0.015" 63/37. I can pop a bunch of it in the mail if you want, would be about $5 to post.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll be fine. My soldering iron and ham-fists will be more of an impediment than thick solder
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #71 of 99
Quote:

I think I'll pass on this one, I already have a few projects on the go and really shouldn't add another right now.

Thanks for the kind words. Your Bantam DAC GB worked very well, and the parts packaging and delivery was flawless.

How much of that small solder do you have left? I liked it for the really small SMD soldering. I'd buy more off you.

Cheers

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #72 of 99
Quote:

Just wondering, did you purchase that solder in Aus? If so where form? Jaycar seems pretty limited.

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #73 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much of that small solder do you have left? I liked it for the really small SMD soldering. I'd buy more off you.

Hmmmm, that is a good endorsement though. For $5, why not
smily_headphones1.gif

PM sent.

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #74 of 99
Got it from Mouser when doing the BantamDAC order, they have flat rate shipping for most items (except those marked 'BIG') so it didn't push the shipping up. I still have quite a lot. I'd be happy to get rid of some, otherwise it take me years to use up.

Just checked postage and I'll make it $6 actually, $4.20 to post, $1.05 for a small parcel, $0.75 for the solder.

I'll weigh how much I have left and see how much I can divvy up for those interested in some. PM me if you're interested, don't want to hi-jack this thread too much
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back