y1 gamma-1 DAC - Aussie Group Buy
Dec 13, 2008 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

fordgtlover

Headphoneus Supremus
Calling all Aussies interested in a group buy to build AMB's new DAC.

I am working on the BOM for the full build, and hope to have it done by tonight. I'll update this page once I have finished the BOM and have calculated the costs.

Could those people interested please also indicate which build they are interested in. I am going for the full build.

Depending on the level of interest, we could do a buy from AMB, Digikey and possibly Farnell for the black
1455C801 case.

V0.4 - changed pulse transformer to 470-1003-ND

Please Note: The 1455C80x cases from Digikey are only available in clear (silver), and are available with plastic or aliminium end plates - you will need to nominate which one you want.

I am going to order a black case from Farnell in Australia for the black case. The cost is $21.78 for the plastic ends (1455C802BK) or $27.61 for the metal ends (1455C801BK).

I will place the order for both AMB and Digikey on Thursday night (18 Dec).

Participants:
fordgtlover
ltmon
rjad
Daveze
Beefy
Bismar
nattonrice
qusp

I think all of the requests are now finalised.
The GB closes at 8:00pm EST (Australia) Tuesday 16 Dec. No orders will be taken after this time, and no changes.

The Group Buy is closed.

digikey04zy5.png

amb03ve0.png

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 99
I'm interested in a full build, but the price would be a consideration

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 99
I would be possibly interested either the full build, or USB only depending on cost. I wouldn't need an enclosure as I have a spare Hammond 1455L1601 which should be appropriate.

Ta,

L.

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Calling all Aussies interested in a group buy to build AMB's new DAC.

Could those people interested please also indicate which build they are interested in. I am going for the full build.

Cheers

Hi fordgtlover,
count me in for a full build. Just to check, if you want to have usb as an input you need the full build right, since the USB part acts to convert usb to spdif which is then fed to the DAC part. Sound right?

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to check, if you want to have usb as an input you need the full build right, since the USB part acts to convert usb to spdif which is then fed to the DAC part. Sound right?

Yes, the USB provides a s/pdif signal to the DAC when used in the "full build"

If you don't need the coax and optical inputs however, you can leave out U2D completely, and take a i2s signal directly from the USB board.

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #8 of 99
Now that I have worked through my BOM, I must say that given the wide range of configuration options available for this DAC, the GB has the potential to get very confusing.

I would suggest that we look at this as two quite separate activities. The first is an AMB order - that should be simple enough. And, then a Digikey order.

I will post two separate BOMs, one for AMB and one for Digikey. Anybody who wants to vary the BOM for the full build will need to very explicit about the parts they want.

I need to order parts from AMB before the end of next week (19 Dec). And, I would like to do the Digikey one about the same time.

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 99
The AMB order might get interesting for those of us in the front panels group buy. I wonder if AMB will let us combine our panels into your order to save on shipping cost.

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #10 of 99
I wasn't going to try and organise my own y1 builds until next year.... but I could potentially be interested in this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that I have worked through my BOM, I must say that given the wide range of configuration options available for this DAC, the GB has the potential to get very confusing.

I would suggest that we look at this as two quite separate activities. The first is an AMB order - that should be simple enough. And, then a Digikey order.

I would *strongly* suggest that for a build of this complexity, you go with a single configuration. If anybody wants to vary it, then they are on their own.

Dec 13, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #11 of 99
i'm very interested in the full build. but wont need USB cable, RCA jacks. output caps if there are any. or the hammond case. any idea how much this is going to cost?? because I have to say I wasnt quite ready for this (thought it might be in a couple of weeks) and I have just blown heaps on other projects. luckily I have quite a bit of the stuff needed already.

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #13 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bismar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AMB order might get interesting for those of us in the front panels group buy. I wonder if AMB will let us combine our panels into your order to save on shipping cost.

I will contact AMB and ask him the question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't going to try and organise my own y1 builds until next year.... but I could potentially be interested in this.

I would *strongly* suggest that for a build of this complexity, you go with a single configuration. If anybody wants to vary it, then they are on their own.

Agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm very interested in the full build. but wont need USB cable, RCA jacks. output caps if there are any. or the hammond case. any idea how much this is going to cost?? because I have to say I wasnt quite ready for this (thought it might be in a couple of weeks) and I have just blown heaps on other projects. luckily I have quite a bit of the stuff needed already.

I wasn't going to order USB cables. The only RCA is the S/PDIF onboard connector. And, as for the Hammond case, Digikey only carries the clear cases; I'm after black. Keeping track of the Hammond case will be easy enough in the GB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in for two full builds. Should be okay for cases, they're the same as the Mini3 right?

Yes. Both use the Hammond 1455C801 or 1455C802.

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #15 of 99
i'm gonna go chassis mounted though rather than PC mount. much better range of nice chassis mount RCA. but percy has a nice cardas silver/rhodium plated pc mount RCA that could be subbed in. i'd really like to use one of the eichmann or vampire chassis mounted ones i've already got though. also have some switchcraft mini chassis mount that could be easily adapted for pc mount. i'll go with everything else but. As with the bantam, i'll get the default/upgraded caps but will also wire a direct out to go to my VCAP dock RCA in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back