y1 gamma-1 DAC - Aussie Group Buy
Mar 2, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #91 of 99
I have used mine solely with USB, but the guy who is buying mine wanted a separate PSU for it. I went for one of these plus an adaptor so that I didn't have to re-terminate the cable. I couldn't find a linear regulated one anywhere.

It works well and seems to be a step above the real cheapie switchmodes. Power output measures 5.2V. The DAC doesn't seem to drop out with power fluctuations as much as it does through USB, although I haven't extensively tested this.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #92 of 99
I can see how maybe an external power source would be desirable from a noise standpoint. Mine makes some noise 'till I unplug the wall-wort from my laptop, then it's all quiet. I'de like to try it both ways just so I know what it is, maybe try a battery also.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #93 of 99
It really depends on the quality of your laptop. The USB power from my laptop is very clean with no grounding problems, but it does drop out sometimes when my desk lamp on the same circuit is switched on or off.

For those on 120V power though, the linear regulated supply that AMB recommends from Digikey is almost a no-brainer.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #94 of 99
I bought a USB battery pack for using mine portable, it has 2 outputs and you can buy all sorts of tips for it, mini usb, USB, DC, ipod DOCK connector one suitable for Iriver. and yeah you can power 2 devices simultaniously with it, so I can power the gamma1 until the iriver runs low and then plug the iriver in. should be a sweet solution. was going to install my own charge circuit and battery pack, and probably still will, but this was a really great temporary fix and it will prove very useful i'm sure. its regulated at either 5 or 8v. but while at home i'll be using my LLP from my lisa
evil_smiley.gif
at least while the lisa isnt on there

FORDGTLOVER: have you still got some spares inb the resistors?? I busted one of them while desoldering it and had to be one of the ones you didnt send extras of. i'll find the value in a minute, but yeah have you got many/any spares??

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #95 of 99
^

Hi qusp

I've got spares of most of the resistors. The only one I didn't have spares of were the 47k. I'm just about to do a Farnell order and pick up some 47k resistors. Any Aussies who want a 47k to replace R20D just let me know.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #97 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^

Hi qusp

I've got spares of most of the resistors. The only one I didn't have spares of were the 47k. I'm just about to do a Farnell order and pick up some 47k resistors. Any Aussies who want a 47k to replace R20D just let me know.

yeah OK I think you already gave me a couple extra 47k, but i'll check, when are you doing the order from farnell?? will let you know tomorrow which value R's I need.. OK??

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #98 of 99
OK sorry I took so long; been super busy. I actualy need cap type multilayer ceramic capacitor X7R 1µF 25V that I need along with a couple of those 47k R's you mentioned. so if you have them or are able to bundle those with your order that would be great man. anything I can do to return the favour, just ask. turned out I had another spare for the one I initially wanted from you. I think I must've just lost the cap I need in the shambles that is my woprkbench at the moment. soo much stuff going on. I need to stop and regroup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back