Xonar Essense stx Random LOUD high pitched Ringing Noise?
Nov 2, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #286 of 400
Anyone know whether the static's volume is controlled by Windows volume or the xonar driver/control panel volume? I'm trying to figure out whether it can be lowered in software volume control

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #287 of 400
When this noise occurs it probably sets Windows volume at 100% but if you lower the db level in the xonar control panel, the noise can be quieter. I'm not 100% sure though. I don't have this sound card anymore but someone should test it by significantly lowering the volume in the xonar panel.

Nov 2, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #288 of 400
The noise itself is because the card can't read the data properly, so digital volume control won't change anything. The gain settings on the headphone amp will still probably work.

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #292 of 400
Windows Volume seems to work up to what Xonar level permits (but probably even Xonar level goes bananas when the glitch happens). IIRC, it shouldn't be set too high (default is 76 in DX?) for the best THD.

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #294 of 400
geoxile is surely referring to the volume sliders on the asus control panel under "mixer" that are usually set to 76%, not the rotating volume button that also controls windows volume. In the mixer>playback, Left/Right volume will affect max windows volume and probably lessen sound quality if set to max.

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #295 of 400
geoxile is surely referring to the volume sliders on the asus control panel under "mixer" that are usually set to 76%, not the rotating volume button that also controls windows volume. In the mixer>playback, Left/Right volume will affect max windows volume and probably lessen sound quality if set to max.

Yea, sorry, this is what I meant. I'm on win10

Dec 1, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #296 of 400
I'm not sure my current issue is exactly the same as the screech-of-death being mentioned in here, but a few days ago when I was booting up, the Windows 10 intro jingle blasted at max volume with a loud ringing following. Luckily I didn't have my headphones on at the time. I yanked out the headphone jack from my STX and waited a bit. I put it back in and the sound was gone.

The only change I did to my rig recently was to clock my i7-2600K from 4.2ghz to 4.4ghz (at 1.3v both before and after the OC, no turbo boost). That was about two weeks before this incident. A month before the incident I upgraded from a GeForce 770gtx to a 1070gtx. 

Oh and I turned the 'left' and 'right' mixes in 'Mixer' in Xonar audio center to max a few weeks ago. I've since reset them to what I believe is 76%. 

I think I had this screech back in Windows 7 once while watching a movie in VLC. Not sure if my clock was at 4.4ghz back then (very possible).

I've turned off all windows event sounds and the startup jingle just to be safe. I'll probably update this post if it happens again.

[EDIT]: Got high pitch scream when launching spotify after starting up PC. My screech appears to only happen (rarely) on the first sound that is played upon a new system startup, so not exactly what others have been reporting (screech during youtube vids and such). I fix it by unplugging the headset for a sec.

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #299 of 400
  I'm not sure my current issue is exactly the same as the screech-of-death being mentioned in here, but a few days ago when I was booting up, the Windows 10 intro jingle blasted at max volume with a loud ringing following. Luckily I didn't have my headphones on at the time. I yanked out the headphone jack from my STX and waited a bit. I put it back in and the sound was gone.

The only change I did to my rig recently was to clock my i7-2600K from 4.2ghz to 4.4ghz (at 1.3v both before and after the OC, no turbo boost). That was about two weeks before this incident. A month before the incident I upgraded from a GeForce 770gtx to a 1070gtx. 

Oh and I turned the 'left' and 'right' mixes in 'Mixer' in Xonar audio center to max a few weeks ago. I've since reset them to what I believe is 76%. 

I think I had this screech back in Windows 7 once while watching a movie in VLC. Not sure if my clock was at 4.4ghz back then (very possible).

I've turned off all windows event sounds and the startup jingle just to be safe. I'll probably update this post if it happens again.

[EDIT]: Got high pitch scream when launching spotify after starting up PC. My screech appears to only happen (rarely) on the first sound that is played upon a new system startup, so not exactly what others have been reporting (screech during youtube vids and such). I fix it by unplugging the headset for a sec.

Did the high pitch sound like this: (warning, I suggest removing your headphones)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZqELNjFh0o
That's how it sounded for me (obviously much louder considering I'm recording the sound coming from my headphones...)

For now, I must say, it happened again not that long ago, which resulted in me getting surprised and literally throwing my headphones at the floor in a panic, breaking them... I was able to repair them with some Shoe Goo(don't judge me, that stuff works wonder), but now I've pretty much set my mind, I'm selling the card, just waiting for the holidays to end.

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #300 of 400

Did you have Windows volume set at max?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back