Xonar Essense stx Random LOUD high pitched Ringing Noise?
Aug 8, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #241 of 400
Originally Posted by TetraSky 

Just had it happen again. On Windows 10's RS1 (Anniversary update). I resumed a video(flash, not html5) I was watching and the screech of death blasted through my headphones.(while I was wearing them)
So I think it's safe to assume that this is still not fixed in Windows and that the fix from before either doesn't work or was undone after the update for some reason. (re-applied it, will see... didn't have it happen to me since my last past when I last said the fix had failed, so maybe it helps? I dunno..)

Standing corrected - I yanked the XONAR® from the CM1630 prior to the dist-upgrade from 7.0.8001 to 10.0.10576, so have no way to test it for myself.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #242 of 400
  Just had it happen again. On Windows 10's RS1 (Anniversary update). I resumed a video(flash, not html5) I was watching and the screech of death blasted through my headphones.(while I was wearing them)
So I think it's safe to assume that this is still not fixed in Windows and that the fix from before either doesn't work or was undone after the update for some reason. (re-applied it, will see... didn't have it happen to me since my last past when I last said the fix had failed, so maybe it helps? I dunno..)

If you redo the tweak, I guess regsvr32 should pop an error if those dlls still remain unregistered from the previous fix, other than unregistering them again.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #243 of 400
Curious question: is this problem specific to the AV100 chips? From some pages back I've read some claims that the CMI8786, found on other Asus cards, did not present this issue.

Also, I've tested with unregistering the ASIO drivers, but the issue persisted.

Aug 10, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #244 of 400
That's curious. I've only seen reports in this and uniXonar's thread with STX/II, D1/DX*, all sharing the same Oxygen HD CMI8788 with AV100 label. I wouldn't be surprised if it also affects D2/D2X (AV200, also on the HDAV1.3
), but strangely I didn't notice any report on that card (other than another problem related to constant distortion or buzzing noise), or even the DG (CMI8786) or DS (AV66). Please correct me if wrong.

*This also removes any chance for a PLX bridge problem

Aug 10, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #245 of 400
  Curious question: is this problem specific to the AV100 chips? From some pages back I've read some claims that the CMI8786, found on other Asus cards, did not present this issue.

Also, I've tested with unregistering the ASIO drivers, but the issue persisted.

---------------------------
RegSvr32
DllUnregisterServer in C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmasiopx.dll succeeded.
OK   

RegSvr32
DllUnregisterServer in C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\cmasiop.dll succeeded.
OK   

That's what pop up when I redo the fix. Same thing if I redo it 20 times, it always says that, no error ever pop up. Not sure if it's actually unregistered it or not, but I can't open the Asus ASIO option in any case.

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #247 of 400
I'm trying to spam pause/play on flash videos, youtube, and windows sounds but I can't trigger this screech anymore. Any specific sites that often trigger it for you guys?

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #249 of 400
[...] So alternatively I ordered a passive studio monitor to put between my STX II and my Event 20/20 monitors (Palmer pro Monicon) : the idea was to see if the line level volume screeching would be stopped by this device, preventing the ultra loud sound to go right from the card to the monitor (it works and make the distortion bearable).

I also applied the asio fix and skipped into youtube video extensively, until the bug occured again... As I said before It only occured to me when skipping videos on youtube (html5 + firefox x64 + win10 x64) and never before when i was on win7 with the exact same rig.

I'm trying firefox with html 5 desactivated to see if it happens again with the flash player. I also muted system sounds in the volume mixer.

Since my last post, I have not experienced the screeching again. It was quite easy for me to make it happens while skipping madly through a Youtube html5 video with Firefox but it never happened with Mpc-hc or Aimp, both using Directsound. I have not installed Win10 AU so my config right now is running with Win10 ver. 1511 build 10586.545 - Uni xonar driver 7.0.11.5 with PCM 192khz settings and Firefox 48 with an addon called Youtube Flash Switch to avoid using html5. I also keep system sounds muted in the volume mixer.

Still I now have a passive studio monitor under my hand with a mute 'panic' button, but even if the screech happens again, it avoid the line volume level sound to reach the monitors and give you control on its volume.

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #251 of 400
Happened once more yesterday for me. It triggered when a friend messaged me on Trillian and the notification sound played (not windows's, but Trillian's sound)

Since the last time it had happened, I had reinstalled the latest Uni driver, re-applied the "fix" posted before, stopped GX entirely from booting up with windows along with a few other things, just to make sure it wasn't the RS1 update that had reset some settings... Quite frankly, I'm just about ready to sell my card and buy something like an external DAC.

Windows 10 Pro RS1 (Anniversary Update)
UNi Xonar 1816/1823 v1.80a r3

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #252 of 400
Happened once more yesterday for me. It triggered when a friend messaged me on Trillian and the notification sound played (not windows's, but Trillian's sound)

Since the last time it had happened, I had reinstalled the latest Uni driver, re-applied the "fix" posted before, stopped GX entirely from booting up with windows along with a few other things, just to make sure it wasn't the RS1 update that had reset some settings... Quite frankly, I'm just about ready to sell my card and buy something like an external DAC.

Windows 10 Pro RS1 (Anniversary Update)
UNi Xonar 1816/1823 v1.80a r3

I was also thinking of selling mine but I'd feel way too guilty doing so because I know it would happen to the person I sell it to. We've essentially got what are now faulty soundcards from Asus's ex-flagship. Pretty sad.

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #253 of 400
My experience indicates a basic incompatibility with the Vista audio stack rather than a fundamental hardware flaw with the C-Media® DSP at the heart of the XONAR - I have been running my ASUS® XONAR® Essence STX in a LinUX 4.4 installation and have encountered no internal-feedback issues under Advanced LinUX Sound Architecture Project driver snd-virtuoso 1.0.27, unlike the rare and impossible-to-predict 6 kHz scream with the C-Media® CMI-8788 Drivers under Microsoft® Windows® 6.1.760n (I sent a Creative Laboriatories® SB1550 in for the STX prior to dist-upgrading the CM1630, the STX' previous home, to 10.0.10586.420).  In fact, snd-virtuoso has been running the STX' CMI-8788 in LinUX 4.4 the same way Creative's drivers used to work the SB0240 and SB0350 in Microsoft® Windows® 5.2.nnnn, and there are no records of complaints of the 6 kHz scream from Win2K or XP users.

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #254 of 400
While that may be true, ASUS's Xonar STX specs state:

Operating System
Windows® 10 
Windows® 8.1 
Windows® 8 
Windows® 7 
Windows® XP

Now, I never had a problem on 7...only 10, but even then it's advertised as working with all of the above.

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #255 of 400
I have a similar problem with my external USB DAC (Aune X1S) and Creative Audigy 4, so this problem is not limited to Asus' cards and it's rather Windows 10's fault. It's not as bad as with Xonar D1 I had before (there's just sudden silence or short weird noise, which could also be loud but I use an additional volume slider so can't really tell if it was extremely loud) and only happened once or twice (also occured during watching YouTube video).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back