Xonar Essense stx Random LOUD high pitched Ringing Noise?
Jun 27, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #226 of 400

I did and received a laconic response, asking me to try Chrome and/or reinstall the driver ... and some more similar bs advices...

you should reply back saying you did all of that and link them to this thread

the guy i ended up contacting said asus is aware of this issue but they cant reproduce it so its hard for them to do much about it. html5 doesnt really trigger it for me so im not even sure how to do it myself.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #227 of 400
  you should reply back saying you did all of that and link them to this thread

the guy i ended up contacting said asus is aware of this issue but they cant reproduce it so its hard for them to do much about it. html5 doesnt really trigger it for me so im not even sure how to do it myself.

Done.

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #229 of 400
The 6 kHz scream is a problem that, I suspect, requires a very specific set of circumstances to reproduce it.  From my own experience with the XONAR® STX™ in the ASUS® CM1630-06 as upgraded under Microsoft® Windows® 7.0.8001 (Kernel 6.1.7601), even Open Program signals will be enough to trigger it on a "bad hair day" (to quote a fashion term) with a sound (e.g., Navigation%20Start.wav) assigned to Open Program in Windows Sounds.  (The Creative Laboratories® SB1550 currently in the CM1630-06 as of 30 June 2016 is apparently immune to the problem.)

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #230 of 400
Just had this issue happening again twice this week, after over two months without incidents. My ears are still ringing.

I guess I will just go back to onboard audio until either a fix is released or I find another sound card that is not based on the c-media chip. Although, I'm quite sure it's an issue exclusive to Asus cards.

I just hope anyone considering an Asus sound card becomes aware of this issue before purchasing them. Their cards are dangerous for your hearing health.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #231 of 400
I also had this issue in the past.
This issue always seemed to start when my cpu is idling and I start some audio or video clip, so I think the issue is partially power supply-related.

The following steps solved the issue:
1) make sure that the soundcard power supply is correctly connected
Allthough the soundcard contains a detection for low power, it didn't detect the bad connection. I detected the bad connection, by connecting a cheap led fan (e.g. Antec TriCool 80mm fan) on the same cables and by rambling the cable. By replacing the molex cable with a cable with a better fitting molex connector, the reoccurrence lessened of the loud noise.
2) make sure that the Link State Power Management setting in Power Options in Windows is set to off
3) set the sampling speed in the Asus Audio Center to 44100 kHz
and set the default format to 44100 kHz in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Tab page Advanced
I also disabled Exclusive mode, but i didn't test yet if this caused this loud noise.

Setting the audio to 16bit or 24bit doesn't seem to cause any issue.

It has been along time since I have had this issue, so I guess it is resolved.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #232 of 400
I think the issue with firefox is due to this application not using by default the Windows channel api.
You can fix this by setting media.useAudioChannelAPI to true in about:config.
This will lessen the reoccurrence of the loud noise. My guess is that when you use the audio channel api, you use the default format of your sound card (44100 kHz), unless you actually changed it at Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Tab page Advanced.

The proper solution is allthough to set the sampling rating to 44100 kHz and check that the power is properly connected to your soundcard and the power setting of Link State Power Management is set to Off and then you don't have to bother with that setting. You might also have to set exclusive mode to Off.

Updating to Firefox 48.0 or higher also removed the crashing during audio/video playback (probably fixed due to new media parser, written in Rust).

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #234 of 400
So, I updated to windows 10, and installed asus's windows 10 driver, and this problem seems to have gone away. First thing I noticed was how much smoother the driver install process was than on windows 7 sp1 - on win 10, it found the sound card immediately with no fuss and had no trouble installing. Second, a few audio applications that were broken on windows 7, like exclusive mode in the internal audio renderer in mpc-hc, started working in windows 10. And lastly, I opened and closed ~500 consecutive instances of wasapi audio on windows 10 to check for random noise bugs, and it didn't appear.

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #235 of 400
Thanks for the update; Microsoft Corporation must have fixed part of the audio stack in the July major update to Windows 10.0.10576.  Dist-upgrading the ASUS® CM1630-06 lost me only two background apps; ASUSTeK Computer's SmartDoctor GPU-tuner application don't run on Win 6.2 and later, so GPU Tweak II went in along with an AMD Radeon HD legacy driver for the EAH6850 DirectCU to replace the original video driver.

The XONAR® is happier in Ubuntu® 16.04.1-LTS than under Windows 6.1.7601 - ALSA snd-virtuoso does more with the card than the C-Media® CMI-8788 Win 6-up drivers.  Conversely, the Creative Laboratories® SB1550 is happier with the correct drivers in Win 10 (available from Creative Support) than with a carryover driver originally meant for the CT4830/SB0090/SB0240/SB0350 family in ALSA.

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #236 of 400
I haven't experienced the problem since June. I used this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/494565/xonar-essense-stx-random-loud-high-pitched-ringing-noise/195#post_12612511

But I can't confirm or deny whether it made a difference or not.

If the above post is true (about the new Windows update to the audio stack) then that's great news.

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #237 of 400
Unfortunately I've tried the fix above to disable asio drivers, so as prevent GX components from loading with windows but it didn't fix the problem (so as disabling pci-e link energy management). On my offending system, other than the usual loss of the right channel that was fixable with a driver restart, the banshee scream only started on a very regular basis (maybe >6 times a week, sometimes twice a day, with some odd 2 week intervals) after 5 years when I moved to W10. Before it did happen probably once under W7 or W8.1, can't remember.

Since then, I had to replace that Asus DX (sorry, not a relevant STX, but suffers the same) with an OEM SB Z for 2 channel analog output. That one, on the other hand, seems to suffer ocasional pops even when not playing anything, but what's curious about that, is that it happens to be an HD Audio compatible device and the same happens with an onboard realtek on another system.

Now that W10 RS1 is out, has there been any change for other users? Only mindbomb seems to have reported an improvement. If I find the courage to put it to use again in another W10 RS1 system I'll report back.

Edit: Sorry, wrong user name.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #239 of 400
The same as in most posts before, it seems to happen randomly when a sound is initialized. This can be right after starting or seeking a clip in mpc-hc (dsound), a song in winamp (dsound), or a clip in youtube via chrome. Also happened once inside a game menu after clicking a button that causes its GUI to play a sound. Re-seeking, stopping and press play again, etc, will stop the white noise.

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #240 of 400
Just had it happen again. On Windows 10's RS1 (Anniversary update). I resumed a video(flash, not html5) I was watching and the screech of death blasted through my headphones.(while I was wearing them)
So I think it's safe to assume that this is still not fixed in Windows and that the fix from before either doesn't work or was undone after the update for some reason. (re-applied it, will see... didn't have it happen to me since my last past when I last said the fix had failed, so maybe it helps? I dunno..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back