Xonar Essense stx Random LOUD high pitched Ringing Noise?
May 31, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #212 of 400
I believe I'm having the same issues with my Xonar STX.

My issue does seem to be triggered by youtube, and is quite a rare event.

Don't mind me just want update notifications for this thread. I'm very interested in this potential fix.

May 31, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #213 of 400
welp, i've witnessed it happening in directsound now, in addition to wasapi. So it's not as api specific as I thought it was.

At any rate, spdif output is safe. Still seems to only affect asus cards that use the asus processors; the ones with official cmedia processors are also safe for some reason.

So there is a fix in the sense that you can use an external spdif dac in conjunction with the xonar, but using digital output sorta defeats the purpose of an expensive sound card.

Another thought I had is that the driver seems to have more trouble installing on windows 7 sp1 than windows 7. Maybe that is also a factor somehow?

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #214 of 400
  Essence STX here too. And I think, I know the Problem very well. Unsuspectingly you're clicking through Videos, as you suddenly get raped by a Krrrrrrrrrk EEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
The solution for me is to unregister the asio drivers. This is how to do that:

- Press the Windows-Key
- Type: cmd
- Hold CTRL+SHIFT and press ENTER

------------ 64bit ------------
- Type: regsvr32 /u "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmasiopx.dll"
- Type: regsvr32 /u "%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\cmasiop.dll"
- Press Enter.

------------ 32bit ------------
- Type: regsvr32 /u "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmasiop.dll"
- Press Enter

I created a small batch file as a one-click solution, but the Forum don't want me to attach it to this post. Not even zipped.
@echo off & whoami /groups /nh | find "S-1-16-12288" > nul ||(
 echo createObject("shell.application"^).shellExecute"%~s0",,,"runas"^&createObject("scripting.filesystemObject"^).getFile("%tmp%\.vbs"^).delete > "%tmp%\.vbs"
 start "" "%tmp%\.vbs" & exit
)

wmic cpu get addresswidth | find "64" &&(
    regsvr32 /u "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmasiopx.dll"
    regsvr32 /u "%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\cmasiop.dll"
 )||(
    regsvr32 /u "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmasiop.dll"
)

timeout 5 > nul

Create the file: STX_Eeeek-Fix.txt and paste the code into it. Save, close and rename it to: STX_Eeeek-Fix.cmd  then execute the file.

Hope it works for you guys as well.
I recommend to remove the GX-Feature also. You will find it in Windows autorun and it can disabled by using tools like CCleaner or Autoruns. Or the Windows-Taskmanager, if you run Windows 10. The relevant entry should be named: Cmaudio8788GX(64). And should link to: HsMgr(64).exe. It's not related with the Problem described here for me. But I've experienced trouble with some programs, even if the GX-button is not marked in the Xonar-Center. And practicaly, it's useless anyways.

Signed up just to say that this didn't work for me, unfortunately.

I applied this fix a couple days ago and that horrible screeching happened again just a couple minutes ago. Thankfully I wasn't wearing my headphones at the time...
It happened when I tried to open Steam, but my drive was locked(bitlocker, forgot to enable auto unlock) at the time so windows's default notification sound("windows background.wav") played out to warn me, then the sound glitched out for some reason and the screeching happened. Pretty much every times that it happens for me, it's related to windows's default sounds. Though it did happen two or three times, where it happened while I was seeking in a video.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #215 of 400
Ugh I finally found a thread that talked about this screeching problem! Definitely started when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I tried applying the fix just now so let's see if it works for me. I guess another solution is to use the spdif out? Right now I'm using the RCA outputs into my Emotiva speakers. I guess I'll have to get a digital analog converter from Monoprice or something: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6884. Really sad since I love this sound card

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #216 of 400
Hello.

Meneasor, I tried the cheap DAC solution with the spdif output for a few days, but the sound was really crappy (you loose everything from the soundcard so even the internal audio chipset of your motherboard would be better I think - an alternative would be an expensive and hifi dac but...).

So alternatively I ordered a passive studio monitor to put between my STX II and my Event 20/20 monitors (Palmer pro Monicon) : the idea was to see if the line level volume screeching would be stopped by this device, preventing the ultra loud sound to go right from the card to the monitor (it works and make the distortion bearable).

I also applied the asio fix and skipped into youtube video extensively, until the bug occured again... As I said before It only occured to me when skipping videos on youtube (html5 + firefox x64 + win10 x64) and never before when i was on win7 with the exact same rig.

I'm trying firefox with html 5 desactivated to see if it happens again with the flash player. I also muted system sounds in the volume mixer.

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #217 of 400
You can still get the digital effects over spdif (by checking spdif out: pcm in the asus panel and leaving Speakers - Asus Xonar as the audio device). So things like dolby headphone, the equalizer, the resampler, the volume normalizer, GX for legacy gaming. So it's still better than nothing I'd say. The main draw being dolby headphone imo.

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #218 of 400
  welp, i've witnessed it happening in directsound now, in addition to wasapi. So it's not as api specific as I thought it was.

At any rate, spdif output is safe. Still seems to only affect asus cards that use the asus processors; the ones with official cmedia processors are also safe for some reason.

So there is a fix in the sense that you can use an external spdif dac in conjunction with the xonar, but using digital output sorta defeats the purpose of an expensive sound card.

Another thought I had is that the driver seems to have more trouble installing on windows 7 sp1 than windows 7. Maybe that is also a factor somehow?

disappointing. it hasn't happened to me yet but it'll probably do it again in a week or two.

this is mind boggling, why isnt ASUS doing anything about this?

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #219 of 400

In fact, with Service Pack 1 (Kernel 6.1.7601), I was only able to install the UNi™ XONAR® Audio Software successfully in Safe Mode on the CM1630 (same problem applies to the official Asus® XONAR® Audio Software™); a reboot after failed install BSOD'ed for an out-of-sync Power State condition more often than not.

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #220 of 400
i contacted ASUS and they said they can't do much about it because they can't recreate it. if you guys have any idea how to get it to happen more consistently let me know and let ASUS know

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #221 of 400
  i contacted ASUS and they said they can't do much about it because they can't recreate it. if you guys have any idea how to get it to happen more consistently let me know and let ASUS know

I can make it happen very quickly by madly skipping through youtube videos (win10x64 - firefox x64 - html5). But as I said before, i disabled html5 and had no issue since then. I can also confirm that the passive studio monitor I installed between the sound card and the speakers works and give volume control on the issue.

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #222 of 400

I can make it happen very quickly by madly skipping through youtube videos (win10x64 - firefox x64 - html5). But as I said before, i disabled html5 and had no issue since then. I can also confirm that the passive studio monitor I installed between the sound card and the speakers works and give volume control on the issue.

You disabled html5 for everything? This issue has happened multiple times this week already :frowning2:

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #223 of 400
I disabled html5 for youtube with an extension, in Firefox only. Never got the issue somewhere else (the screeching never happened on Twitch for example - and I watch this channel a lot - or anywhere else but youtube). So it seemed to be a good start to investigate.

There is a recent thread on Reddit about this problem here, with a microsoft guy asking for some traces :
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4gis49/asus_xonar_stx_6khz_squealing/

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #224 of 400

i encourage you to submit this to asus. i dont think we should let up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back