Xonar Essense stx Random LOUD high pitched Ringing Noise?
Feb 23, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #106 of 400
I am not sure if this helps but I am not experiencing this random high pitch noise.
I am running Debian Wheezy x86_64 and Slackware 14.1 x84_64.

Note that I am not using a headset. I am using satellite speakers.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #107 of 400
  I am not sure if this helps but I am not experiencing this random high pitch noise.
I am running Debian Wheezy x86_64 and Slackware 14.1 x84_64.

Note that I am not using a headset. I am using satellite speakers.

Thanks for the comparison point.  I've been getting the occasional 6 kHz scream on Microsoft® Windows® 6.x (specifically, 7.0.8001, Kernel 6.1.7601), and the scream on and off are tied to OS audio events; I figured that this would not be the case on LinUX with ALSA 1.0.25-up.  I recently had to abort testing Ubuntu® 13.12a1 Trusty Tahr™ on my Asus® CM1630-06 as upgraded, as LinUX Kernel 3.13.0-4-generic was panicky on my particular combination of hardware; so far, so good with C-Media® CMI-8788 Driver 8.0.8.1815 (packaged with Maxed Tech® UNi XONAR® Audio Software™ 1.63).

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #108 of 400
Guys, i'm very close to fix he problems! i'm problem free like 2 monrths + my pro friend which is ALOT into audio high end gear and electronic parts - dacs/apms ect, gave me one suggestion, since i change it, i didn't had the problem not a single time! i will report back if its the fix!

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #109 of 400
It hasn't happened in over a year. I only recently made some changes to my setup (GFX card, SSD drive) and reinstalled Windows, but even long before that the problem was gone. That and I'm pretty sure I used Opera back when it last occured, whereas now I use Palemoon. Incidentally, I haven't been using my headphones at home much lately (been always using RCA though), so even if the problem did occur again I guess it wouldn't bother me that much...

I wish I could be of more help, but I honestly have no idea what fixed it for me. I'm sure it wasn't THE fix from MS -- might've been a different one I received through Windows Update. It's also possible that some newer version of the UNi Xonar Driver helped -- I always keep them updated.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #111 of 400
How i "fixed it" 

Right click on asus xonar audio center in the task bar, press Asus xonar ASIO, set it to 24 bit/40ms instead of 10, done. Not 100% sure if this was the fix, but i'm 90% sure...since i changed to 40 ms, not a single time i had the issue. YMMV, but pretty sure that made the difference! i have the same hardware/OS, nothing has changed.

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #113 of 400
i attempted to contact ASUS regarding this, i gave them a detailed description about the problem and the solutions i have tried in order to fix this. i also told them i have tried all the driver versions available at their website.. 

i got a reply from them telling me to try to re install the driver. DUH??? and  if the problem still persists then have the sound card returned for RMA.. unfortunately, the sound card is working under normal conditions so the store from which i bought it wont take it back.

last night is where i draw the line.. i was listening to some music then BAMMM!! that loud pitch noise got me again. that event
inspired me to post here at head-fi. 

i believe this is the ultimate solution to fixing this problem. it is a simple 3 step procedure:

1. remove sound card from cpu
2. BURN or throw it away. your ears are worth way much more than this hardware. 
3. get an external DAC, i already ordered a dacport LX 

to those people with the same issues as mine, my advise is to save your ears.. i think this is a hardware problem that cannot be fixed. 
get a new external DAC.

peace!

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #114 of 400
Sorry to hear that, I remember how annoying that is.

There were discussion threads up on the official ASUS forums concerning this issue a long time ago. Not sure if they're still going after all these years. Last I checked, there was no official word on how to fix it.

It's possible that this might not be a driver or even chip specific problem though and something else is at fault here (some mobo/soundcard incompatibility, software configuration). I've seen Auzentech, Creative as well as external DAC owners reporting the same or similar random noises coming out of their speakers/headphones. That and the fact that it's so rare is what made me stick with STX. Even if I did get another DAC and it actually wasn't the card's fault, it could take a few long months for the problem to rear its ugly head again.

As for Flash, if you're using YouTube, couldn't you switch to the html5 player? https://www.youtube.com/html5

EDIT: As I stated before, I don't have this problem anymore even though I'm still using the card and I haven't done any significant changes to my hardware or software setup.
Also, I posted these links earlier in this thread. They threads are long dead:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20090222084608127&board_id=21&model=Xonar%20Essence%20STX&page=8&count=78
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110101010416253&SLanguage=en-us&board_id=21&model=Xonar%20Essence%20ST&page=1

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #115 of 400
  i attempted to contact ASUS regarding this, i gave them a detailed description about the problem and the solutions i have tried in order to fix this. i also told them i have tried all the driver versions available at their website.. 

i got a reply from them telling me to try to re install the driver. DUH??? and  if the problem still persists then have the sound card returned for RMA.. unfortunately, the sound card is working under normal conditions so the store from which i bought it wont take it back.

last night is where i draw the line.. i was listening to some music then BAMMM!! that loud pitch noise got me again. that event
inspired me to post here at head-fi. 

i believe this is the ultimate solution to fixing this problem. it is a simple 3 step procedure:

1. remove sound card from cpu
2. BURN or throw it away. your ears are worth way much more than this hardware. 
3. get an external DAC, i already ordered a dacport LX 

to those people with the same issues as mine, my advise is to save your ears.. i think this is a hardware problem that cannot be fixed. 
get a new external DAC.

peace!

Actually, as I noted in Post 107 above, the problem as I suspect it is with not the drivers, but Microsoft® Windows® 6.x itself - the random 6 kHz scream starting or stopping I found to be tied to OS events.  As far as I am aware, no similar problem exists in ALSA 1.0.22-up under LinUX; don't know whether this card has been successfully run under Apple® Mac OS® X™.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #116 of 400
  Sorry to hear that, I remember how annoying that is.

There were discussion threads up on the official ASUS forums concerning this issue a long time ago. Not sure if they're still going after all these years. Last I checked, there was no official word on how to fix it.

It's possible that this might not be a driver or even chip specific problem though and something else is at fault here (some mobo/soundcard incompatibility, software configuration). I've seen Auzentech, Creative as well as external DAC owners reporting the same or similar random noises coming out of their speakers/headphones. That and the fact that it's so rare is what made me stick with STX. Even if I did get another DAC and it actually wasn't the card's fault, it could take a few long months for the problem to rear its ugly head again.

As for Flash, if you're using YouTube, couldn't you switch to the html5 player? https://www.youtube.com/html5

EDIT: As I stated before, I don't have this problem anymore even though I'm still using the card and I haven't done any significant changes to my hardware or software setup.
Also, I posted these links earlier in this thread. They threads are long dead:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20090222084608127&board_id=21&model=Xonar%20Essence%20STX&page=8&count=78
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110101010416253&SLanguage=en-us&board_id=21&model=Xonar%20Essence%20ST&page=1

Actually, as I noted in Post 107 above, the problem as I suspect it is with not the drivers, but Microsoft® Windows® 6.x itself - the random 6 kHz scream starting or stopping I found to be tied to OS events.  As far as I am aware, no similar problem exists in ALSA 1.0.22-up under LinUX; don't know whether this card has been successfully run under Apple® Mac OS® X™.

thanks for the concern and advise.. i must admit i posted while i was angry because my ears were still ringing at that moment. i believe asus makes high quality products but nobody's perfect. i also agree it may be a microsoft o.s. issue or a direct x issue.

good luck guys!

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #118 of 400
I have found a way to reproduce the bug! If I skip in a song repeatedly back to back it always happen sooner or later. I am on windows 8.1 and use foobar with wasapi. I might also add that I have turned of any kind of fade when skipping and have 510 ms buffer. I have also found out that the loud sound always appear right after silence, like when I turn on a youtube video or when mpc-hc plays the next video in the folder.    

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #119 of 400
Hi there, just signed up to share my experience with this. Just happened for the 2nd time in two years, the first time was a couple of months ago. I wrote off the 1st as just a bug or something and didn't think much about it after that, now when it happened again I googled it and came here.

I'm also on W7-64bit, both times have been triggered by starting a video file in MPC, high pitched noise from both channels. Rebooting the PC seems to be the only solution. Not that I've tried much else, just wanted to get rid of the sound so rebooted as fast as possible. I tried switching between my speakers and back to headphones but the noise was still there. I'm on the latest official drivers, think they are from 2013. Anyway, it's a ****ty thing, but it seems very rare for me at least so I don't care that much.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #120 of 400
Wanted to share my experience with Xonar U7, maybe it will help someday someone.

I had this annoying ringing, at high frequencies.

Solution was to set he Xonar to 44.1 khz sampling rate. I noticed that any resampling was introducing the ringing. All my music is 44.1 so it is ok for now. Also, i disabled all effects, DTS Dolby etc and killed the processes from task manager, all processes that have something to do with Asus Xonar U7.

The ringing is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back