Xonar Essense stx Random LOUD high pitched Ringing Noise?
Jun 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #91 of 400
Quote:
I'm not quite sure if the hotfix works or not...  I've just applied it now and am continuing to test under a Win7 dualboot.
Doesn't seem that this update was installed by Windows Update automatically (go figure), or ... at least it wasn't in my list of installed updates.  WDMAud.drv on my system was certainly a different version than the one listed.

I've applied it but still had the issue happen occasionally. As other mentioned since we don't know how to trigger it it's hard to test whether fixed or not. For the exact same reason I believe MS has not been able to fix it yet either, and I imagine in the big scheme of things they probably don't see it as a huge issue....

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #93 of 400
---Just had this happen again, Windows 7 64bit Ultimate SP1, with KB2653312 installed this time around.

Event happened right at the end of a YouTube video playing on a music-channel loop, right before cycling to the next track in the sequence (I was explicitly aware of when it happened / paying attention closely at the time).  Rather than rebooting, I tried finding what it'd take to "stop" the noise..  Apparently a reboot is NOT required, you just need to stop all audio playback on the system, then start it up again.

For example ... close Firefox (which triggers the garbled noise to switch to a pure high frequency hiss), close any applications on the machine that's using the audio device (stop Skype, Mumble, all of your recording software and anything using ASIO, etc), and then produce ANY sound -- such as making the Windows Volume Bar "chime".  Once all applications are ended (and not before), this stopped the hiss and instantly restored sound to normal / working again.

Is this bug known to exist with the new Creative SoundBlaster ZXR?

It looks feature wise like it'd compete with the Xonar STX pretty well in terms of quality components and audio spec.  Good choice for a drop in replacement?

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #94 of 400
This is my theory,

IMHO this is the *ucking flash player that does conflict with the card drivers, and make this issue. This crap needs to die, hate it soooooo much make issues with my video cards, now could be the reason why my soundcard is not working properly.

9/10 times when i get the noise, its when i watch/pause youtube videos, and have some folder open.

My highly educated electrician friend theory,

He say its hardware issue with the card, damaged caps/parts or some other hard to detect - unbalance from the internal parts.

My second theory, its Windows issue.

What do you guys think?

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #95 of 400
  This is my theory,

IMHO this is the *ucking flash player that does conflict with the card drivers, and make this issue. This crap needs to die, hate it soooooo much make issues with my video cards, now could be the reason why my soundcard is not working properly.

9/10 times when i get the noise, its when i watch/pause youtube videos, and have some folder open.

He say its hardware issue with the card, damaged caps/parts or some other hard to detect - unbalance from the internal parts.

What do you guys think?

I don't know, it's been a long time I didn't notice it.
I removed two sticks of rams that seem to induce other problems (some software crash randomly) , that's perhaps the solution.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #96 of 400
It occurs randomly on my PC and sometimes there are months no screeching sounds until one day AAAAAARRRRRGGGG&%$§

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #97 of 400
  ---Just had this happen again, Windows 7 64bit Ultimate SP1, with KB2653312 installed this time around.

Event happened right at the end of a YouTube video playing on a music-channel loop, right before cycling to the next track in the sequence (I was explicitly aware of when it happened / paying attention closely at the time).  Rather than rebooting, I tried finding what it'd take to "stop" the noise..  Apparently a reboot is NOT required, you just need to stop all audio playback on the system, then start it up again.

For example ... close Firefox (which triggers the garbled noise to switch to a pure high frequency hiss), close any applications on the machine that's using the audio device (stop Skype, Mumble, all of your recording software and anything using ASIO, etc), and then produce ANY sound -- such as making the Windows Volume Bar "chime".  Once all applications are ended (and not before), this stopped the hiss and instantly restored sound to normal / working again.

Is this bug known to exist with the new Creative SoundBlaster ZXR?

It looks feature wise like it'd compete with the Xonar STX pretty well in terms of quality components and audio spec.  Good choice for a drop in replacement?

That's my experience - seemingly any event in Microsoft® Windows® 6-up can start and/or stop the howl, I found.  Can't get it to start consistently, but it stops when I hit one of the DLL icons on the Taskbar, e.g. the Sound app-button.  I've advance plans to test a Creative Laboratories® SB1510 on my next Winbox - the Asus® CM1630-06, which has run faithfully until this month under Microsoft® Windows® 7.0.8001 (MultiProcessor Kernel 6.1.7601), - ran into issues with User Account Control and user-account Registry keys that are preventing UAC from loading Administrator credentials - is slated to be overhauled for Ubuntu® 14.04.1-LTS (LinUX Kernel Series 3.11), and my next new system will run Windows® 8.1.11000 (MultiProcessor Kernel 6.3.9600).  (The XONAR® is now supported by the Advanced LinUX Sound Architecture Project.)

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #98 of 400
Dude what's with all the trademarks and exact build numbers?!

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #99 of 400
  This is my theory,

What do you guys think?

Agreed.. in my case, this popping screeching sound happens every time i play a video in a browser that uses flash player.. as far as i can remember, i never had this problem when i first installed the drivers that came with the box. this problem started to come up when i updated my drivers. has anyone tried to use the stock drivers? i cannot replicate this because my dog ate the original cd drivers T_T

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #100 of 400
Hello all,

I made an account just because this scared the bejeezus out of me!  I just bought this sound card and a Sennheiser PC360.  The card is fabulous with this headset, but I just got the loud high pitched noise and got nervous so rebooted and started google searching.

My specs:
i7-2600K
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W
16GB Corsair Ram DDR3/1600mhz
GTX 670 SLI
ASUS Blu-Ray
Windows 8.1

Not sure what other specs are needed.

What seemed to trigger it for me was I put a CD into my blu-ray player and as it was about to play all I heard was a whining noise through my headset; I wasn't wearing the headset.  Also I heard the disk just spinning almost like it wasn't spinning correctly, like it was rubbing up on something.  

I'm thinking that maybe the spike in power that the CD player used to boot up maybe freaked out the card somehow, but I'm unsure.  I was debating getting a UPS recently and after reading some of the information in this forum I'm thinking that I have even more excuses to get a clean power source to my PC.  Not sure at all if this is the reason though.

I have the newest beta driver from ASUS's website so I don't know what else to try.  I do wonder about the sample rates...I had it at 48 khz on the xonar audio center when the issue happened and I know for music 44.1 khz is the best way so not sure if that effects it.  On windows I have it set to 16 bit at 44.1 khz.  I'm really unsure how to setup these sample rates, but I do know I read 44.1 is for music and 48 is for games/movies.  I have disabled onboard sound, but I noticed I still have my older Corsair Vengeance 1500 plugged into a usb port so I don't know if that is sending mixed signals in terms of sound to the PC.

I hope this doesn't happen again, but I guess since I already got the issue that I'm wide open for it to happen again.

Does anyone know a fix yet?

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #101 of 400
  This is my theory,

IMHO this is the *ucking flash player that does conflict with the card drivers, and make this issue. This crap needs to die, hate it soooooo much make issues with my video cards, now could be the reason why my soundcard is not working properly.

What do you guys think?

Personally i've just changed my computer and with my old rig i never get this screeching problem and i'm on the same OS windows 8.1.

And it always happens on Youtube, so it's a good hints.

Furthermore, in my old rig the spdif connector wasnt connected in the card and now it is. And my sound card it's now really close of my psu, and it's may cause electromagnetic interference. 

And you guys do you have your PSU near of your card? 

I've just put the spdif passtrought off in control panel and deconnect the spdif connector. Since this manipulation I haven't have issue so it's possibly the solution.

Quote by Guinibee

What seemed to trigger it for me was I put a CD into my blu-ray player and as it was about to play all I heard was a whining noise through my headset; I wasn't wearing the headset.  Also I heard the disk just spinning almost like it wasn't spinning correctly, like it was rubbing up on something.

[...]

I do wonder about the sample rates...I had it at 48 khz on the xonar audio center when the issue happened and I know for music 44.1 khz is the best way so not sure if that effects it.

I don't think those are factors of this issue. I'm pretty sure its about spdif connector/driver. Seriously just deconnect the spdif cable and see if it does a difference. Another thing look if your card is near of your psu. Thanks

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #102 of 400

...I've advance plans to test a Creative Laboratories® SB1510 on my next Winbox - the Asus® CM1630-06, which has run faithfully until this month under Microsoft® Windows® 7.0.8001 (MultiProcessor Kernel 6.1.7601), - ran into issues with User Account Control and user-account Registry keys that are preventing UAC from loading Administrator credentials - is slated to be overhauled for Ubuntu® 14.04.1-LTS (LinUX Kernel Series 3.11)....

Update:  I ended up reinstalling Microsoft® Windows® 7.0.8001 from a backup hard-disc image from 2011, as LinUX Kernel 3.13.0-generic is panicky on the CM1630-06 (as of 20 January 2014), forcing an abort of tests of UbuntuGNOME™ 13.12a1 Trusty Tahr™.  The disc image had the install of Asus® XONAR® Audio Center™ 7.12.8.1792; I already plan to replace the same with the latest version of the Unified XONAR® Software™, once more needful software upgrades are completed.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #103 of 400

Personally i've just changed my computer and with my old rig i never get this screeching problem and i'm on the same OS windows 8.1.

And it always happens on Youtube, so it's a good hints.

Furthermore, in my old rig the spdif connector wasnt connected in the card and now it is. And my sound card it's now really close of my psu, and it's may cause electromagnetic interference. 

And you guys do you have your PSU near of your card? 

I've just put the spdif passtrought off in control panel and deconnect the spdif connector. Since this manipulation I haven't have issue so it's possibly the solution.

I don't think those are factors of this issue. I'm pretty sure its about spdif connector/driver. Seriously just deconnect the spdif cable and see if it does a difference. Another thing look if your card is near of your psu. Thanks

Spdif is disabled in Windows, ill try to disconnected it from the card. Yes, my card is like 2cm over the psu, but keep in mind this mostly happen when watching Youtube, and have few videos paused. Dont see why it would happen only when i watch YT, and its electromagnetic problem? i will give it a try.

BTW i have high end Seasonic power supply unit, so don't know really.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #105 of 400
I think is Youtube/fp issue, how long have you been problem free? what did you install change since? same OS/PC? same drivers?

I will try your sugggestion, but last night i saw that i had problems with flashplayer the videos would load only 1/2 the rest of the video is in tiny window, 15 mins later at most, the ultra loud noise appeared, but this time was mixed with white noise....AND again while pressing play/pause Youtube videos! this is same like the previous time, when YT updated the design, and new fp version is used i guess, whenever YT playback is unstable, i get this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back