Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Oct 20, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #1,966 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just checked ASUS' website to get Win7 drivers as I'll be setting up my new system soon and it seems they're dated 10/05/09 .. I'm hoping it means October 5th and not May 10th but worth a look if you're having trouble right now to see if the 'new' driver fixes them.

it's october, they are new. i wasn't using the old beta drivers because i found sound to be different compared to vista drivers. these new beta drivers are fine though.

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #1,967 of 2,066
anyone using OPA637 with STX?

OPA637 sound great but seem to be problematic. I had tried OPA637BM on Audiotrak DAC. when i switched to the low gain headphone output, it produced a 'buzzing noise'. I quickly off the unit and unplugged the headphone.

It will also 'buzz' in I/V stage. However on lineout or buffer stage, OPA637BM is much better than LME49710HA.

Itching to try OPA637BM on STX, but not sure if STX have enough gain to avoid oscillation or not. not sure if I happen to 'buzz' it again will damage this costly opamp that I bough from farnell or not.

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #1,968 of 2,066
I have tried the OPA637 but it is not stable for I/V. Whatyou are hearing is osillation as the 637 has no internal compensation. You will not be able to use any varient of the 637 on the I/V. Personally, I would take the LME49710HA for buffer.
Think that is costly check out the 647SM...

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #1,969 of 2,066
my biggest problem now is that i/v sockets are too close, temporary I'm stacking 4x DIP sockets to raise one of I/V so that I can fit in two browndog adaptors (compact version), one on top & one below, not sure if you can imagine it.

the result of using 4xLME49710HA on i/v is very good & I like to stick with this.

had also tried extension wire , but adaptors are hanging & don't look safe, I think may drop out.

any suggestions for a better solution to fit in the two adaptors, thanks

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #1,970 of 2,066
This seems like one of the more interesting "niche" (not everyone is an audiophile) products on the market. Just interested, with nothing special done to it (meaning like making an external PSU, just using a molex off a good quality PSU), how would this stack up to a modified X-Fi card?

Talking shorted caps, opamp and replaced capacitor.

My personal music library consists of mostly flac and some 320k mp3's, ranging from rock, death metal etc. Lamb of God, System of a Down, Muse, generally anything under the wide banner of Rock.

And what sort of money is the card "worth", meaning, roughly how much would you expect to pay for a similar quality DAC and amp and cabling for say some AKG 701's or 702's maybe AD2000 AT's or Denon 2000's? Does it have enough oomph to run the AKG's properly? Or is this no match for even lower end dedicated items? Maybe I should be asking how well it runs Grado's considering my musical taste :p

I dont want a bucket load of extra gubbins lying around, and am prepared to forgoe the extra quality for now with just having 1 item.

Thank you!

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #1,971 of 2,066
I have no idea how the STX compares to a modified X-Fi, but stock vs. stock the STX is much better. The DAC in the STX is superior, so even a modified X-Fi won't come close in terms of SNR etc.

I have the K701 and the STX can drive them without any problems. As for how much the STX is worth in comparable quality external equipment, I won't comment because it's very subjective.

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #1,972 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wfolio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my biggest problem now is that i/v sockets are too close, temporary I'm stacking 4x DIP sockets to raise one of I/V so that I can fit in two browndog adaptors (compact version), one on top & one below, not sure if you can imagine it.

the result of using 4xLME49710HA on i/v is very good & I like to stick with this.

had also tried extension wire , but adaptors are hanging & don't look safe, I think may drop out.

any suggestions for a better solution to fit in the two adaptors, thanks

Yes, I have the cards so I know exactly what your taking about. I also prefer the LME49710HA and like to use them on these cards. The extension work for a makeshift solution but it requires somethign a bit more solid. What I find would be easy for what your doing is put the card in the lowest slot. Get some of the sheilding packages that opamps come in. Put that on the bottom of your case. Let the opamps rest on that. Just a suggestion.
I have a few ideas I am working and and I will keep you posted...

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #1,973 of 2,066
Please keep all of us posted... I'm still interested in getting two pairs of those 710's from you
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #1,976 of 2,066
Spent some time listening to LME47910HA, OPA637BM & OPA627SM

started off with a pair of LME47910HA in buffer, taken aback by the sound quality, then I added two more pairs in the I/V, this certainly take the quality to another level.

I read a lot about OPA627, from what I gathered, AP/BP is quite laid back, BM is not bad, SM obviously improve most area of BM. So I got myself 2pcs of OPA627SM. Having fun comparing it with LME47910HA (in buffer) for the past few days.

LME47910HA is sharper and has a slightly heavier bass line. OPA627SM is tonally softer & less aggressive, resolution is finer, instruments position is better define. No doubt musical structure presented by OPA627SM is by far more sophisticated. But depends on music & taste, I think some may prefer the livelier LME47910HA.

Too bad, I don't have the SM version of OPA637, it will more interesting if I can compare 637SM vs 627SM.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #1,977 of 2,066
I really enjoy the LME49710HA and a few here are using them also for various circuits.
I have both 627 and 637SM versions. I enjoy there sound but have been going for a different type of response these days. Something a little closer to the LME49710HA.

Can I ask how you have been using the LME49710HA in I/V?

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #1,978 of 2,066
Hi Guys

Just got a brand new system 3 days ago with the following specs:
Intel i7 860
ASUS P7P55D-LE
Gigabyte GTS 250 1 GB PCIE
Windows 7 PRO 32 Bit
Kingston 4GB DDR 1333
Logitech Z 2300 2.1 Speakers (carried on from the old system)

Initially, the sound was through the motherboard which I found not that great (It was good but a bit brassy and dull). On reading extensive reviews, I got impressed by what Essence STX had to offer. Did the purchase and got the soundcard installed by the initial dealers (they forgot to plug in the STX with an internal 4 Pin Molex power supply, which I had to do myself). Downloaded the new drivers through the website and got the software installed. The PROBLEM now is that I cant seem to playback any music. Ive tried several players such as iTunes, Real, Windows etc but music seems to be playing without any sound (nothing happening in the Xonar Essence Sound Centre). Also, I tried doing a Test (for L & R speakers) through the Xonar Essence Sound Centre using my Logitech Z 2300's (which are working fine with my iPod). In the test, sound is played-back but only through the Left speaker (It says "Left" and "Right" but both times sound comes from only the Left speaker). I connected the 3.5 to RCA cable with my speaker system. Can anyone please help me, I feel like I've just wasted $230 (AU)? Thanks in anticipation.

(p.s. - ASUS tech support is living upto its reputation)

Oct 26, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #1,980 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you set up the windows control panel for the new soundcard?

God love Windows 7 and you Rob, did some autorepair and lo and behold its working. Only one problem now, sound is still coming only from one speaker (of my Logitech Z 2300's). Could it be a compatibility issue? should I try plugging my speakers through the headphone socket? Thanx mate!

p.s.- sound quality from one speaker is pretty awesome...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back