Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Sep 11, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #1,921 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of discretes, I have been testing out a few modules, both consumer models and a custom unit using a few cards and I am very happy with the results. I can understand why you prefer the bursons over the stock opamps. Although they may not measure as good as some of the higher spec opamps they definately have some great sound quality.

Exactly!!! One of the best sounding DAC, the Zanden has awful measurements results.

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #1,924 of 2,066
Playing around with the RMAA, I've noticed another "strange" thing: in the Frequency Response multitone test the left channel is about .2dB higher than the right one! Modifying the balance from 100-100 to 98-100 (L/R) in the windows audio panel does improve the things, lowering the gap to .05dB.

Here are the figures in the two configurations.

Does someone has noticed this on his Essence as well?

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #1,925 of 2,066
Hello, fellow STX owners. I'm having a little trouble with my card; wondering if anybody else has had this problem.

Listening to music, the volume seems to go up and down kind of in waves. I really only notice it in loud passages and it's not like it's completely ruining the sound. My wife doesn't notice it, but it's bugging me enough that I'm finally RMA'ing the card.

Besides that, when I got the card it had scuff marks on the back around some solder joints and the solders in general looked pretty dull. Finally, it was tough to connect the atx power connector and it didn't go down that far--although the card won't work at all w/o power so this probably isn't my problem.

I'm hoping I just got the one bad apple in the bunch and that they'll send me a good replacement.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #1,926 of 2,066
Makes sure you turn off the "SVM" that is what your hearing. Atelast I think that is the trouble. The SVM, takes lower soudn and ups then and takes loud soudn and lowers them. trying to keep everythign at one volume and while good for say a movies late a night, for music it is strange. The setting is right under the volume control...is it enabled?
If so turn it off and check to see if the cards sounds normal.

Wait, did you already send the card back?

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #1,927 of 2,066
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check on that. Although I think I turned off anything that could be detrimental to the sound. Also, doesn't enabling the Hi-Fi (think that's their terminology) profile disable such things?

Sep 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #1,929 of 2,066
Just installed the LME49710HA in the buffer and LME49720HA in the I/V. I think these are keepers. They have a similar sound signature as the LME49720NA, but with a larger, more holographic soundstage (readily noticeable) and less mid-bass emphasis while retaining deep bass extension. The treble I feel is a tad bit more prominent but without sibilance. I don't want to speak too soon, but from my initial listening impressions, I think these are among the best opamps I've used so far on the STX, and I own a lot of opamps (see profile). I'll update my impressions as I get accustomed to their sound and get a chance to re-install my old favourites (3xLME49720) to do the final comparison. Also note that these things clearly have less bass than the LME49720NA combo, but the quality is great and without rolloff. In fact, I think that's the only thing I can find fault with as of now is that lack of mid-bass. This is a good thing for some recordings but bad for others, truly a double-edged sword. I will try the LME49710HA with the LME49720NA in the I/V because I remember the same weak mid-bass when I tried the LME49720HA alone in the I/V, so I think they might be the culprit.

Edit: As I suspected, the LME49710HA in the buffer with 2xLME49720NA sounds better than the LME49720HA in the I/V, with a smoother treble and more bass and midrange presence. The LME49710HA are excellent in the buffer spot though. They sound quite noticeably better than any other opamp in the buffer and mate well with the LME49720NA.

Thanks to ROBSCIX who supplied these to me for a pretty amazing price. Build quality is superb, as expected. The man knows what he's doing.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #1,933 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by abelincoln /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it turns out it isn't SVM. I'm going to go ahead and send back the card. Hopefully in another couple weeks I'll have a replacement.

You may run RMAA before to see if anything wrong appears in the test
ph34r.gif

Like a very bad SNR, dynamic range, or frequency response.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #1,934 of 2,066
Thanks for the RMAA suggestion. Didn't know what that was. I think I might have to run down to radio shack for a loopback cable. Anything I need to do to get it to work with the STX? I see the test guide for the Xonar D2 on rightmark's site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back