Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Aug 30, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #1,891 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Segya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need some help deciding between the Essence STX and ST.

According to what leeperry posted the STX clearly has a better line out signal but I also read here that the ST has a better internal clock thingy, so I'd like to ask how noticeable both of these points are in comparison.

Replacing the clock crystal on the STX was also mentioned at some point, would this be preferable?

(And this will be my first audiophile soundcard so I am sort of new to the topic)

Edit: I'd also like to know how well the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 compares to those cards in terms of SQ.

Yes, you can read the card has better line out inthe specifications.
Both card are great just meant for different users types.
Some use it for the can amp which is ok but the line out is the strongest point of the card.
The ST has a clock cleanup chip which helps reduce jitter. The main point of the ST is the fact you can upgrade to full surround.

The Hd2 is a fairly old card and doesn't have the same signal/sound quality.
You get higher signal to noise, higher distortion, more crosstalk..etc.
Check out the HD2 as it may have the featues you want but spec wise it is just not in the same league.

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #1,892 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Theresa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the presentation of the STX with HD600s to be very good. The headphone amp maybe inexpensive but it has good performance. I have yet to be disappointed with either the stx or the HD600s. It took a long time for the Senns to break in and I did so with the onboard audio but once that was over the STX provided great performance.

Some were worried about the HD650's and IIRC the HD600's an a couple others as they were unsure the can amp would have enough power to drive these higher needs cans properly from a electrical point of view. I am considering getting a set of the HD650's but I have my eye on a nice tube can amp. Gotta love those glowing tubes for sound!

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #1,893 of 2,066
I'm thinking of getting an STX and have a quick question. I want to have my speakers hooked up to the analog outputs and then my headphone amp (audio-gd Compass) via S/PDIF. Can it output to both or are you limited to one or the other?

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #1,895 of 2,066
You can output to both the analog and spdif at the same time.

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #1,896 of 2,066
I signed up for an account on head-fi just to comment about the Xonar Essence STX. This sound card is AMAZING. The performance "out of the box" (default stock configuration in hardware and drivers) is better than any sound card I have ever heard or tested, and I have heard/tested about 20-30 of them now while looking for the perfect solution for my hi-fi HTPC setup. My goal was to go with a soundcard with balanced analog output (so I can remove any extra D/A-A/D conversion steps), so the Essence STX was the last card I tried due to its lack of balanced outputs.

I put the Essence STX in my HTPC, connected to a Crown XLS-402 amplifier via RCA-to-XLR cables (standard RCA "line" output on Essence), then to a few different pairs of speakers.

The first pair was my inherited set of mint Klipsch Belles (purchased brand new by my father in 1974 from Paul Klipsch himself). The sound was amazing. Crystal-clear, excellent separation and staging, extended rich and accurate bass, treble with amazing clarity and totally lacking in harshness, etc. It sounds so good that I just sat there and listened to about 10-20 albums in a row, I mean I wasted an entire day just listening to music (a very good sign when you've just purchased new gear). Turned the amp up until my decibel meter read 120db to see if I could hear distortion or if it would sound fatiguing, and then played a FLAC copy of the London Symphony playing the 1812 Overture with real cannon fire. It sounded awesome, with no distortion at all, and was surprisingly very easy to listen to.

Don't know what you guys are talking about when you say the JRC opamps lack bass extension. The cannon fire was powerful enough to knock dishes out of my cabinets, knocked a few pictures off the walls, and overall impressed the living hell out of me. Likewise, when the police arrived due to a noise complaint, one of the cops had his hand on his gun and said he had heard gunfire while approaching my house. I played the track for them and they got a big kick out of it and then asked me to turn it down.

Next was a pair of PSB Stratus Golds. Same experience. I noticed no weakness at all in the source, at any volume. The only thing I could comment on with the PSBs was that it sounded like the sound suffered a little bit of an excessive decay in the lower treble registers, and the upper midrange was a little boomy - but I believe that is due to the design of the PSBs, not the analog signal coming out of my sound card. The separation is phenomenal however, you can hear each instrument distinctly and clearly. It has amazing 3-dimensional staging, and the sound-stage is wide and deep, extending well past the side and rear walls of my listening room.

I can't say enough about this card. It is an amazing deal at $200. I have NEVER heard sound this good from my HTPC.

What's even crazier is that I'm now running unbalanced analog from the RCA output on the Essence to the XLR inputs on my Crown amp, and TOTALLY LOVING IT. I'm not going to change a thing. I never thought I would run unbalanced analog cables in my system again, after swapping to balanced a long time ago. But there is truly no distortion in the original signal, it's cleaner than the balanced XLRs I was running from the EMU 1212m.

To test this theory, I again plugged in the Belle Klipsch's and turned my amp all the way up and turned the PC audio all the way up, without playing anything. With the EMU 1212m, I can hear very quiet hissing and an extremely quiet hum with my ear pressed against the speakers (this is with the balanced analog cables). With the Xonar Essence STX, I hear nothing. Needless to say, it amazes me that I have less noise with unbalanced RCAs on the Essence than I did with balanced XLR on the EMU 1212m.

I know some people will say, well, balanced analog is going to be +4db, versus the -10db of the unbalanced. I have only one response to this. When you are pushing over 400 watts RMS to a speaker with 105db of sensitivity, you are going to hear EVERYTHING, regardless of whether your input is +4/-10db. Trust me.

I can't recommend this card enough. It's the best current hi-fi sound card on the market, hands-down, and I've tried everything: the Juli@, Emu 1212m, an offboard DAC1 (overpriced and overrated IMHO), the HT Omega Claro, Creative X-Fi, a few Auzentech cards, you name it. No other card has come close to the Essence STX in pure audio quality to this point.

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #1,897 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some were worried about the HD650's and IIRC the HD600's an a couple others as they were unsure the can amp would have enough power to drive these higher needs cans properly from a electrical point of view. I am considering getting a set of the HD650's but I have my eye on a nice tube can amp. Gotta love those glowing tubes for sound!

The Essence is a fantastic DAC, but it's no substitute for a good headphone amp when it comes to demanding cans like the HD600 or HD650.

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #1,898 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Essence is a fantastic DAC, but it's no substitute for a good headphone amp when it comes to demanding cans like the HD600 or HD650.

Yes, I have said this a few times. Which is why I am also considering building a tube amp for the HD650's I am thinking of getting.
I have said in many posts the strongest point of the STX/ST is the DAC quality and I never said it was a subsitute for a good external amplifier.

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #1,899 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFAIK, you can output to both analog output and S/Pdif at the same time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicHSAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can output to both the analog and spdif at the same time.

Excellent thank you both.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #1,901 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxpro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I signed up for an account on head-fi just to comment about the Xonar Essence STX. This sound card is AMAZING. The performance "out of the box" (default stock configuration in hardware and drivers) is better than any sound card I have ever heard or tested, and I have heard/tested about 20-30 of them now while looking for the perfect solution for my hi-fi HTPC setup. My goal was to go with a soundcard with balanced analog output (so I can remove any extra D/A-A/D conversion steps), so the Essence STX was the last card I tried due to its lack of balanced outputs.

I put the Essence STX in my HTPC, connected to a Crown XLS-402 amplifier via RCA-to-XLR cables (standard RCA "line" output on Essence), then to a few different pairs of speakers.

The first pair was my inherited set of mint Klipsch Belles (purchased brand new by my father in 1974 from Paul Klipsch himself). The sound was amazing. Crystal-clear, excellent separation and staging, extended rich and accurate bass, treble with amazing clarity and totally lacking in harshness, etc. It sounds so good that I just sat there and listened to about 10-20 albums in a row, I mean I wasted an entire day just listening to music (a very good sign when you've just purchased new gear). Turned the amp up until my decibel meter read 120db to see if I could hear distortion or if it would sound fatiguing, and then played a FLAC copy of the London Symphony playing the 1812 Overture with real cannon fire. It sounded awesome, with no distortion at all, and was surprisingly very easy to listen to.

Don't know what you guys are talking about when you say the JRC opamps lack bass extension. The cannon fire was powerful enough to knock dishes out of my cabinets, knocked a few pictures off the walls, and overall impressed the living hell out of me. Likewise, when the police arrived due to a noise complaint, one of the cops had his hand on his gun and said he had heard gunfire while approaching my house. I played the track for them and they got a big kick out of it and then asked me to turn it down.

Next was a pair of PSB Stratus Golds. Same experience. I noticed no weakness at all in the source, at any volume. The only thing I could comment on with the PSBs was that it sounded like the sound suffered a little bit of an excessive decay in the lower treble registers, and the upper midrange was a little boomy - but I believe that is due to the design of the PSBs, not the analog signal coming out of my sound card. The separation is phenomenal however, you can hear each instrument distinctly and clearly. It has amazing 3-dimensional staging, and the sound-stage is wide and deep, extending well past the side and rear walls of my listening room.

I can't say enough about this card. It is an amazing deal at $200. I have NEVER heard sound this good from my HTPC.

What's even crazier is that I'm now running unbalanced analog from the RCA output on the Essence to the XLR inputs on my Crown amp, and TOTALLY LOVING IT. I'm not going to change a thing. I never thought I would run unbalanced analog cables in my system again, after swapping to balanced a long time ago. But there is truly no distortion in the original signal, it's cleaner than the balanced XLRs I was running from the EMU 1212m.

To test this theory, I again plugged in the Belle Klipsch's and turned my amp all the way up and turned the PC audio all the way up, without playing anything. With the EMU 1212m, I can hear very quiet hissing and an extremely quiet hum with my ear pressed against the speakers (this is with the balanced analog cables). With the Xonar Essence STX, I hear nothing. Needless to say, it amazes me that I have less noise with unbalanced RCAs on the Essence than I did with balanced XLR on the EMU 1212m.

I know some people will say, well, balanced analog is going to be +4db, versus the -10db of the unbalanced. I have only one response to this. When you are pushing over 400 watts RMS to a speaker with 105db of sensitivity, you are going to hear EVERYTHING, regardless of whether your input is +4/-10db. Trust me.

I can't recommend this card enough. It's the best current hi-fi sound card on the market, hands-down, and I've tried everything: the Juli@, Emu 1212m, an offboard DAC1 (overpriced and overrated IMHO), the HT Omega Claro, Creative X-Fi, a few Auzentech cards, you name it. No other card has come close to the Essence STX in pure audio quality to this point.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. A good read.

Regarding the stock JRC2114. I thought they had the most bass out of any opamps I tried and the quality was great for the amount of quantity they output. But, I think overall, the LME49720NA undoubtedly sounded better. I recommend you try them out, but be preprared to give up some bass quantity for overall quality and a substantial increase in soundstaging.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #1,904 of 2,066
Today modifications:

3-opa-earth with custom fixing on board, and also change the original dip8 sockets direct on PCB, with better one, that meаn NO MORE WARANTY!!!.

Snimka.bg: asus xonar - Äðóãè - hawaya

The sound became more clearer than before with gd-audio 10cm cables.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back