Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Apr 9, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #1,291 of 2,066
The two I/V opamps affect the headphone out, and the buffer opamp, together with the I/V ones, affects the line out. That means if you're going to use headphone out, you don't need to bother with the buffer opamp. Otherwise you can use all three to tailor the sound to your liking.

I connect my HD650s directly to the headphone out, as the cable is very long and it causes me no problems. I believe most of the other users do it this way as well (if not using an external amp, that is).

Yes, the opamps you have listed are the popular ones when it comes to rolling with this card. If you search this thread you will find reviews on them (including mine, 2 pages back I think).

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #1,292 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The two I/V opamps affect the headphone out, and the buffer opamp, together with the I/V ones, affects the line out. That means if you're going to use headphone out, you don't need to bother with the buffer opamp. Otherwise you can use all three to tailor the sound to your liking.

I connect my HD650s directly to the headphone out, as the cable is very long and it causes me no problems. I believe most of the other users do it this way as well (if not using an external amp, that is).

Yes, the opamps you have listed are the popular ones when it comes to rolling with this card. If you search this thread you will find reviews on them (including mine, 2 pages back I think).

Thanks again
So I only need to change the buffer opamp if I am using it with a speaker through the RCA...
Are the OPAMPs in the two I/V socket necessary identical or can I just mix two types of different OPAMPs?

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #1,293 of 2,066
I would use same Two op-amps in the I/V's sockets.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #1,294 of 2,066
Another question
confused_face.gif

Are DIP and 8-DIP OPAMPs compatiable?
I am trying to find the LT1361 and find no version of 8-DIP but one of DIP
The pins look similar through those pictures?(8 pins with similar shape)
Thanks again

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #1,295 of 2,066
the Dip- 8 are 4 pins on each side of the op-amp like each side has 4 pins poining in a / \ way. while Soic-8 has 4 pins on each side like _ _ .

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #1,297 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ansh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question
confused_face.gif

Thanks again

Yes. they are the same thing. Some call them DIP (Dual Inline Package) -Denotes the chip package two rows of 4 Pins. -Some call them DIP 8 or just DIP. There is also SOIC8, which is a surface mount IC, you would need a adapter to use those on the STX.

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #1,298 of 2,066
Quote:

Thanks again
So I only need to change the buffer opamp if I am using it with a speaker through the RCA...
Are the OPAMPs in the two I/V socket necessary identical or can I just mix two types of different OPAMPs?

Youn need two of the same Opamps for the I/V position because those chips translate to the Left and right chanels. -If you used two different opamps your channels would sound different, which is not very good.
You can use different opamps from the I/V to the buffer.

There are three opamps on the card. The two that are side by side are the I/V converter section and the one in front by itself is the Buffer.
Just in case, I/V= Current to Voltage.
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #1,299 of 2,066
I have this card for one day and i cannot hear BIG difference between stx and my onboard card i use latest asus drivers foobar+hdj-2000 win xp, many flac's,320's so whats wrong? I need to burn-in? Change headphones? Enable ASIO? Clear my ears? Go to hell?

Apr 9, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #1,300 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have this card for one day and i cannot hear BIG difference between stx and my onboard card i use latest asus drivers foobar+hdj-2000 win xp, many flac's,320's so whats wrong? I need to burn-in? Change headphones? Enable ASIO? Clear my ears? Go to hell?

Enabling WASAPI or ASIO and using lossless music will help significantly. However, the most important point is to use high-end transparent headphones, like the HD650s.

Apr 9, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #1,301 of 2,066
Spend some time with the STX (few days) then go and try your onboard again... you'll see the difference

your ears aren't developed/trained enough yet .. give it a try, you'll see what I mean

I have no idea what HDJ is however..

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #1,303 of 2,066
Quote:

Another question
confused_face.gif

Thanks again

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. they are the same thing. Some call them DIP (Dual Inline Package) -Denotes the chip package two rows of 4 Pins. -Some call them DIP 8 or just DIP. There is also SOIC8, which is a surface mount IC, you would need a adapter to use those on the STX.

You also want to make sure any opamp you buy has the correct number of channels as well. There are single (1-channel), dual (2-channel), and quad (4-channel) opamps out there that all use the DIP-8 package.

The STX uses all Dual opamps. so for example the LM6172 (dual) works great. The LM6171 (single) would not work even though it's also a DIP-8 package because it only has 1 channel.

Looking at the link you provided, for the LM6172 the one you'd want to get is this one. Although this one here looks to be the exact same part at twice the cost. Weird.

Also, you'll want to have either a chip extractor or pair of needlenose pliers to get the opamps out of their sockets. They're only held in by tension, but the tension is strong enough that it'd be difficult to get them out of their sockets with your fingers without risking bending the pins all to hell in the process.

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #1,304 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You also want to make sure any opamp you buy has the correct number of channels as well. There are single (1-channel), dual (2-channel), and quad (4-channel) opamps out there that all use the DIP-8 package.

The STX uses all Dual opamps. so for example the LM6172 (dual) works great. The LM6171 (single) would not work even though it's also a DIP-8 package because it only has 1 channel.

Looking at the link you provided, for the LM6172 the one you'd want to get is this one. Although this one here looks to be the exact same part at twice the cost. Weird.

Also, you'll want to have either a chip extractor or pair of needlenose pliers to get the opamps out of their sockets. They're only held in by tension, but the tension is strong enough that it'd be difficult to get them out of their sockets with your fingers without risking bending the pins all to hell in the process.

Well, I'm sticking with the recommendations here so I hope that I wouldn't make mistakes
confused_face.gif

The price thing is wierd though, so should I just go for the cheaper one?
darthsmile.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #1,305 of 2,066
Yes I would go for the cheaper one, if for no other reason than it's cheaper.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's not the first time that I've seen a website have multiple entries for the same part.

If you can tho, I'd suggest getting it from Digikey here instead, since I know that's the correct part...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back