Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Mar 18, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #1,112 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure why but when I tried the LM6172 after the LME49720 in the buffer spot, the bass was strained, especially at higher volumes. It felt like the bass was just giving up partway through the note and I don't mean a quick decay. I mean some bass notes just got truncated to the point where I was losing audio data. I'll have to try it again, but from recent memory, the bass didn't sound as good as the default setup. The DT990s masked this flaw more than the HD650 because of their own bassy signature.

That sounds to me like audio clipping. Have you increased the L/R audio controls in the STX Mixer control panel above their default value (76 I think) at all? If you have you might have set them too high. I noticed that most of the opamps I've tried experience clipping to varying degrees if I move those sliders too far above the default, and they all seemed to clip if it was set to 100. I keep them at 82, which seems to have alleviated the issue. Highly compressed/saturated modern music seems to clip earlier than older recordings, too.

I really wish I knew what those sliders were doing from a technical standpoint though. And also why they default to 76 instead of 100 like the other sliders.

@riderforever, I've not listened to the 49720's through the HP-out so I can't comment myself. I believe others (including Shahrose IIRC) have though and they thought it sounded excellent, and better than the stock 2114's.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #1,113 of 2,066
Just wanna say thanks for all the op-amp testing guys
smily_headphones1.gif

With my current watercooling loop its a bit of a pain to get it in and out so I'm deciding whcih is the ultimate one for metal and rs-1's

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #1,114 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds to me like audio clipping. Have you increased the L/R audio controls in the STX Mixer control panel above their default value (76 I think) at all? If you have you might have set them too high. I noticed that most of the opamps I've tried experience clipping to varying degrees if I move those sliders too far above the default, and they all seemed to clip if it was set to 100. I keep them at 82, which seems to have alleviated the issue. Highly compressed/saturated modern music seems to clip earlier than older recordings, too.

I really wish I knew what those sliders were doing from a technical standpoint though. And also why they default to 76 instead of 100 like the other sliders.

@riderforever, I've not listened to the 49720's through the HP-out so I can't comment myself. I believe others (including Shahrose IIRC) have though and they thought it sounded excellent, and better than the stock 2114's.

Could be clipping, but it's definitely not because of the sliders (I set them below default, at 50%). Every other opamp has been fine...only with the LM6172 do I find the inconsistent bass.

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #1,115 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by riderforever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the exhaustive clarification, I think I'll definitely give a try to the 49720s as I/V converters. BTW, are them a good choice also for listening through the integrated headphone amp?

Absolutely. In fact, I was initially impressed by their performance from the headphone-out, which prompted me to try them in the buffer spot as well.

On a different note; I've been experimenting further with 1xLME49720 and 2xOPA2107 and I like this combination so far. The soundstage is not as large as the 3xLME49720, and instruments are more up front. However, the bass is much more solid and defined, and there seems to be a bit more of it as well. With some recordings, this combination can be harsh because of the lower treble boost, but I also think the OPA2107's are just more revealing than LME49720. I'll also reiterate my point from before: the OPA2107 present a sound that screams high energy (faster, bassier, brighter, more defined) and are better suited for lower volumes while the LME49720 are smoother and more distant and better to listen to at higher volumes.

At this point, I don't know which one I prefer. The OPA2107's are more fun to listen to but the LME49720 are more soothing/relaxing. I believe they'll lend themselves preferentially to different genres.

Edit: Putting the JRC2114 back into the I/V section confirms that the OPA2107 are the brightest opamps of the ones I've tried (but in a pleasing, crisp way), the LME49720s/LT1361 are next, then the LM6172 and the darkest are the JRC2114. The JRC's also have the best bass IMO, same quality as the OPA2107, but just more of it. The JRC2114 also have the widest soundstage but not the deepest (in front). The title of the largest overall soundstage goes to the 3xLME49720, by a longshot.

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #1,116 of 2,066
Quote:

Absolutely. In fact, I was initially impressed by their performance from the headphone-out, which prompted me to try them in the buffer spot as well.

On a different note; I've been experimenting further with 1xLME49720 and 2xOPA2107 and I like this combination so far. The soundstage is not as large as the 3xLME49720, and instruments are more up front. However, the bass is much more solid and defined, and there seems to be a bit more of it as well. With some recordings, this combination can be harsh because of the lower treble boost, but I also think the OPA2107's are just more revealing than LME49720. I'll also reiterate my point from before: the OPA2107 present a sound that screams high energy (faster, bassier, brighter, more defined) and are better suited for lower volumes while the LME49720 are smoother and more distant and better to listen to at higher volumes.

At this point, I don't know which one I prefer. The OPA2107's are more fun to listen to but the LME49720 are more soothing/relaxing. I believe they'll lend themselves well to different genres.

Dang, now you got me itching to try it out too!
angry_face.gif
tongue.gif
Being a detail-n-imaging phreak, the more revealing nature of the 2107 has me curious. It's speed and energy sound like it might be a good match for my 6172 too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Speaking of imaging.. How is it on the opa2107? Of the opamps I've tried, the 4 from National (LM6172, LME49720, LME49860, LM4562) have been a step above all the others in their ability to create 3D-holographic instruments that hang in the air all around me. I'd hate to have to give that up. And how are they through the HP-out? Judging by your description I suspect they might be too bright since the TPA6120 HP opamp is already rather fast and bright.

I forget, has anyone tried the opa2111 yet?

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #1,117 of 2,066
I have a bunch that I haven't gotten around to trying yet. When I pull them out I will take notes. The 2107's are a known high quality audio amplifier that sounds a bit different then the typical Burr Brown laidback sound. I have a couple new units but I have to wait for some adapters. -I will test them out and let you know how they sound.

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #1,118 of 2,066
Quote:

Dang, now you got me itching to try it out too!
angry_face.gif
tongue.gif
Being a detail-n-imaging phreak, the more revealing nature of the 2107 has me curious. It's speed and energy sound like it might be a good match for my 6172 too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Speaking of imaging.. How is it on the opa2107? Of the opamps I've tried, the 4 from National (LM6172, LME49720, LME49860, LM4562) have been a step above all the others in their ability to create 3D-holographic instruments that hang in the air all around me. I'd hate to have to give that up. And how are they through the HP-out? Judging by your description I suspect they might be too bright since the TPA6120 HP opamp is already rather fast and bright.

I forget, has anyone tried the opa2111 yet?

Soundstaging is good but it's not their forte. I would say they rank somewhere near the default opamps for soundstage depth but it's not as wide as stock. However, they are quite layered and holographic, maybe the most out of all the opamps I've tried. Some sounds may come from far away and some will be right in your face. It depends on the recording. This is a good thing in my books as it feels more transparent. Having said that though, the soundstage still never approaches the size of the LME49720s, which always seem to throwing sounds at you from far away (again, in a good way).

After testing and re-testing all the opamps I have. I've come to the conclusion that (according to my preferences) the LME49720 and 2xJRC2114 sound the best. They don't have the soundstage/air of the 3xLME49720, but it is a bit wider and atleast gets close sometimes. They have the best bass of the opamps I've tried, and a nice smooth treble (but one that seems rolled off...). They also have a very prominent midrange, like the 3xLME49720 except warmer, and they get close to the speed of the OPA2107 without sounding harsh. They don't, however, have the detail of the 3xLME49720 and the 2xOPA2107, but again, the difference isn't staggering.

Also, keep in mind that all of this is with my HD650s. With the DT990s, 3xLME49720 sounded the best, the OPA2107 sounded too harsh and the JRC2114 sounded too bassy.
Now I'm just waiting for the LME49860 to arrive so I can test them in the buffer spot.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #1,119 of 2,066
Quote:

Soundstaging is good but it's not their forte. I would say they rank somewhere near the default opamps for soundstage depth but it's not as wide as stock. However, they are quite layered and holographic, maybe the most out of all the opamps I've tried. Some sounds may come from far away and some will be right in your face. It depends on the recording. This is a good thing in my books as it feels more transparent. Having said that though, the soundstage still never approaches the size of the LME49720s, which always seem to throwing sounds at you from far away (again, in a good way).

After testing and re-testing all the opamps I have. I've come to the conclusion that (according to my preferences) the LME49720 and 2xJRC2114 sound the best. They don't have the soundstage/air of the 3xLME49720, but it is a bit wider and atleast gets close sometimes. They have the best bass of the opamps I've tried, and a nice smooth treble (but one that seems rolled off...). They also have a very prominent midrange, like the 3xLME49720 except warmer, and they get close to the speed of the OPA2107 without sounding harsh. They don't, however, have the detail of the 3xLME49720 and the 2xOPA2107, but again, the difference isn't staggering.

Also, keep in mind that all of this is with my HD650s. With the DT990s, 3xLME49720 sounded the best, the OPA2107 sounded too harsh and the JRC2114 sounded too bassy.
Now I'm just waiting for the LME49860 to arrive so I can test them in the buffer spot.

Up till now,what combination of opamp gives you smooth treble, detail sound and tight bass,dont need a lot of bass ? Thanks

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #1,120 of 2,066
Quote:

I made a frownie face when I read your comments about the harshness of the 2107 when heard through your DT990's...
frown.gif
Your opinions of the LME49720's and JRC2114's listening thru DT990's seem to match mine (esp the part about the 49720's soundstage, with sounds always coming form farther away and never from up close, which I don't like and which the 6172 buffer fixes btw) so I'm thinking the 2107's may not be for me.

I'm still curious to hear them, and maybe the 6172 as a buffer would tame the highs... But I don't think I'm curious enough to shell out $30 to have a pair shipped here. For that price I think I'd rather spend a little more and look into getting an OPA-Earth or OPA-Moon to try in the buffer (and also in my Corda Opera) instead...

@riderforever, Last night I briefly tried the HP-out w/ the LME49720's in the I/V's, and WOW does it sound good! Definitely an improvement over stock. I'm not 100% sure but I think they might be my favorite I/V opamp for listening straight through the STX's HP-out - although 2x6172 is quite good too. If memory servers the two sound very close.
HP-out.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #1,121 of 2,066
Quote:

@riderforever, Last night I briefly tried the HP-out w/ the LME49720's in the I/V's, and WOW does it sound good! Definitely an improvement over stock. I'm not 100% sure but I think they might be my favorite I/V opamp for listening straight through the STX's HP-out - although 2x6172 is quite good too. If memory servers the two sound very close.
HP-out.

Yep. I mentioned earlier that the LME49720 were the best opamps I've heard for the headphone-out section and my opinion still stands.

BTW, Alydon. I was swayed towards eBay after seeing the steep price for the OPA2107 on Digikey. I got them for half price on eBay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzzmonster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Up till now,what combination of opamp gives you smooth treble, detail sound and tight bass,dont need a lot of bass ? Thanks

I'd say your best are 1xLME49720 and 2xJRC2114 (stock). If you want more air and detail at the cost of less defined bass and less bass in general, then go for 3xLME49720.

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #1,122 of 2,066
Thank you guys for sharing your findings. Two opa2134 (just curious) and two lme49720 are on the way.

I've briefly tested a Burson discrete opamp (opa-101) in the buffer stage, instead of the lm4562. At first it sounded amazing, I couldn't believe how many details it could reveal: it's like entering a new dimension. Overall the sound is much more relaxed, refined and under control and with increased texture (very noticeable with the bass).

Track after track, however, I feel like something of the impact and energy of the original configuration is missing, as well as bass extension. It's much more articulate and refined, but its weight slightly decreased and the sound seems a bit lean to middle/high frequencies.

I need more time to confirm these impressions and I like to find an opamp for the I/V with additional weight for the bass, to counterbalance the effect of the Burson. The opa2134 might be the one.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #1,123 of 2,066
Did anyone try 2 x opa2134 w opa2107?

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #1,124 of 2,066
Yust recently bought this card and it has an awesome sound
biggrin.gif
Only i have a question atm i don't have any speakers hooked up and i am thinking about buying the Logitech X-230 2.1 set(yust some cheapo speakers are fine mostly use my headphone). How should i hook up those speakers on my soundcard do i need to use the digital out? Or do i need to use that RCA Y cable to combine and hook the set up to that cable? Any help ?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back