Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Mar 13, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #1,066 of 2,066
FWIW, from what I've read from a former National Semiconductor employee, the LME49860 is the same part as the LM4562/LME49720, although the 49860s have been tested to ensure reliable functionality at a higher voltage. Thus, I would not expect any significant differences among these parts.

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #1,067 of 2,066
You would think that based on the info from different sources and it has been suggested before in a few forums. However, many suggest otherwise when actually listening to the chips. I have yet to perform these test myself so I am neutral on this topic.

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #1,068 of 2,066
I haven't read all 72 pages of this long thread, but essentially I've been getting snippets of "Asio" etc., and hearing how it really improves playback. Is the Essence compatible with it? I have tried to load it into Winamp but music doesn't start?
confused.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #1,069 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Bass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, from what I've read from a former National Semiconductor employee, the LME49860 is the same part as the LM4562/LME49720, although the 49860s have been tested to ensure reliable functionality at a higher voltage. Thus, I would not expect any significant differences among these parts.

The initial silicon may have been the same, but the specs on their website are different enough between the LME49860 and LME49720/LM4562 that I suspect that significant changes were made to the final product, which would cast some doubt on the validity of any assumptions/expectations about their sonic similarities. Kinda like Intel CPU's, which in the past have undergone significant changes in voltage, FSB, clock multiplier, # of cores / amount of L2 cache enabled, etc after binning. They may have started out from the same wafer but it looks like the final product is somewhat different. I guess I'll find out this weekend as I have a pair of LME49720's and LME49860's on order from Digikey.
biggrin.gif

@Bluelizard0, ASIO works perfectly for me in Winamp under WinXP. Use the link in my signature to download the plugin if you haven't already, and make sure you copy the correct .dll file for your particular CPU into the plugins directory. Of course, this is if you have WinXP. If you're using Vista I believe WASAPI is what you want to use.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #1,070 of 2,066
Okay, I got home from work to find my Digikey package waiting for me so I've been playing w/ the LME49720's now... And I can say with confidence that they do not sound the same as the LME49860!
smily_headphones1.gif

I pulled out the 49860 from the buffer spot and put in a 49720 and the first thing I noticed immediately is that the mids have returned, in force!
smily_headphones1.gif
In fact they might be a little too forward for my tastes, not sure yet. Bass is more prevalent as well. The sound is more forward, dynamic and detailed, the soundstage deeper and more coherent, and instruments sound heftier and are a step closer than when the 49860 was the buffer. OTOH the 49860 has a slight edge in 3D imaging, and has a more forward treble that is a little smoother/cleaner. The 49720's treble currently seems a touch brittle, but I've only been using it for about an hour so that may very well change as it settles in.
smily_headphones1.gif

All around a nice improvement over the 49860. It remains to be seen if it can topple the LM6172 in the buffer spot in my eyes, though.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #1,071 of 2,066
@Alydon, thanks for your reply fella.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm on Vista 64, is there a plugin/extension I should be using? I use Winamp, but nothing seems to exist on their plug-in section.

Edit, after a quick search, only Foobar has a plugin.

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #1,073 of 2,066
And to think that only a few weeks ago I though the STX is meant to remain the best sound card out there..
Any word on pricing? will the add on module be bundled with the retail version or will it be sold individually?

Anyway, that card looks really great and now it means that I could place it well below the EMI factory I have for a video card.

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #1,074 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluelizard0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't read all 72 pages of this long thread, but essentially I've been getting snippets of "Asio" etc., and hearing how it really improves playback. Is the Essence compatible with it? I have tried to load it into Winamp but music doesn't start?
confused.gif

ASIO should work fine with the STX. I am listening to the ASIO plugin now on the ST but am 100% sure I have used it on the STX also along with many others. Check your settings for the plugin.

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #1,076 of 2,066
Dear ROBSCIX,
I'am German so sorry for my bad english. You and the threads Xonar HDAV deluxe and this thread here brought me to become a member here. Many thanks in advance for you and all the guys here on this thread for the informations and impression they give. Right know I'am realy interested on the Xonar ST and on the option to have a realy nice 7.1 Analog set up for my Amp's. So please let us know more about the ST asap if you can(i have read already the Xonar Essence ST Sneak Preview). Many thanks in advance
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #1,077 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by fine art acoustic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear ROBSCIX,
I'am German so sorry for my bad english. You and the threads Xonar HDAV deluxe and this thread here brought me to become a member here. Many thanks in advance for you and all the guys here on this thread for the informations and impression they give. Right know I'am realy interested on the Xonar ST and on the option to have a realy nice 7.1 Analog set up for my Amp's. So please let us know more about the ST asap if you can(i have read already the Xonar Essence ST Sneak Preview). Many thanks in advance
bigsmile_face.gif

I set up a new thread for the ST, to help keep things organized for the users.
Can you post your questions there?
smile.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #1,078 of 2,066
yes I will go over there, thanks a lot
beerchug.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #1,079 of 2,066
You guys gotta try out two Burr-Brown OPA627AU's on a Brown Dog Adapter. These are very pricey but the sound is top notch. Gonna have to gimme some more time to compare with my previous setups. I will try with my other op amps I have:

-Stock Setting
-Burr-Brown 2134 (I have 2 of these)
-LM6172 (I have 3 of these)
-LT1361 (I have 1 of these)
-LT1364 (I have 1 of these)

Cans I will be testing with will be HD650's stock cable and Denon D7000's

So far I will only be able to test the HP out on the card, but I might be purchasing a Headroom Micro Ultra Amp!!!

Here is a link to the adapters I am using.
Single-to-dual Op-Amp Adapter (p/n 020302)

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #1,080 of 2,066
There was earlier notes, where a person had tried the 627's in the buffer position of the STX and noted the sound quality declined. Nobody has said they have tried them in the I/V positions yet though. Lets us know how your tests go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back