Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Feb 25, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #886 of 2,066
Sorry for being unclear,
but I was asking for a comment on the DAC section of the Essence as compared to a standalone DAC

If the Essence would already suffice, then there'd be no need for a digital out
But if a standalone DAC is the way to go, then of course I won't use the Essence for digital output

Just to rephrase, I'm hopping between:
1) PC with Essence -> analog out -> Amp
2) PC -> digital out -> standalone DAC -> analog out -> Amp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm confused about your post. Are you looking to use this thing as the 'rig'? If so and you just want digital out, then this card is not really for you. There are cheaper alternatives since the DAC doesn't come into play at all.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #887 of 2,066
For that purpose, this thing is great value for the buck. And depending on what amp you have, you may be pleasantly surprised by what this thing can do for the money (free basically since you just want a dac)

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #888 of 2,066
exFictitiouZ -- the essence has a very good dac, and will likely outperform dacs which cost in the same range as the card itself, given that many cheaper cards and onboard chipsets produce poor spdif output to begin with. you can further upgrade the essence by powering it with a quiet, linear outboard power supply, and tune the sound even more by swapping opamps which are socketed on the card.

sonics, cost and simpl;icity all favor the essence.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #889 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dionysus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also tried the HD595 but they seemed over matched by STX so I return them to JR. The moment the HD650 arrived, without burn in it was like now that’s what I was searching for the detail of the mids the tight base, and the crisp highs all came to life.
I’ am thoroughly enjoying the combo again if anyone is sitting on the fence you will not be disappointed.

That's actually very good to hear. I was wondering if I made a wrong choice when I decided on the HD650s instead of HD595, considering the price difference between the two..

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #890 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by exFictitiouZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for being unclear,
but I was asking for a comment on the DAC section of the Essence as compared to a standalone DAC

If the Essence would already suffice, then there'd be no need for a digital out
But if a standalone DAC is the way to go, then of course I won't use the Essence for digital output

Just to rephrase, I'm hopping between:
1) PC with Essence -> analog out -> Amp
2) PC -> digital out -> standalone DAC -> analog out -> Amp

Unfortunately not many people have posted comments yet on how the STX compares to an external DAC. The only two DACs I know it has been compared to are an upgraded Zero w/ an HDAM opamp (OPA-Moon or -Earth, can't remember which) and an iBasso DAC. FWIW both people who compared the STX to their external DACs thought the STX was better.

Other than that though I haven't read anything. The STX however is a pretty amazing DAC for the price. It's pure speculation, but I suspect its DAC section would fare well when compared against something like a DACMagic.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #891 of 2,066
Thanks for your replies, Bojamijams, fzman, + Alydon :)

@Alydon: That's what I was wondering about, having read through 60 pages of the thread, remembering that I don't see many comparisons to a standalone DAC. But then again, 60 pages are a lot, and my memory might play tricks on me. So I decided to ask, just in case there might be other people comparing the two but haven't posted the result yet.

But to think over it again, that'd be something normal, since this is a forum mainly of headphone owners, and that the Essence's prominent feature is its headphone amp. So maybe not that many people are looking for its RCA output.

Based on the feedbacks everyone is commenting on the Essence, I'm pretty sure it'd be comparable even to something twice its price as the DAC Magic (in USD at least, since in my region, it's three times pricier). Even if you're speculating, I believe you're not far off the fact, if at all.

Anyway thanks again for everyone's answer. :)

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #892 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by exFictitiouZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your replies, Bojamijams, fzman, + Alydon :)

@Alydon: That's what I was wondering about, having read through 60 pages of the thread, remembering that I don't see many comparisons to a standalone DAC. But then again, 60 pages are a lot, and my memory might play tricks on me. So I decided to ask, just in case there might be other people comparing the two but haven't posted the result yet.

But to think over it again, that'd be something normal, since this is a forum mainly of headphone owners, and that the Essence's prominent feature is its headphone amp. So maybe not that many people are looking for its RCA output.

Based on the feedbacks everyone is commenting on the Essence, I'm pretty sure it'd be comparable even to something twice its price as the DAC Magic (in USD at least, since in my region, it's three times pricier). Even if you're speculating, I believe you're not far off the fact, if at all.

Anyway thanks again for everyone's answer. :)

I can tell you that compared to my old D2 Boa, the Essence is a night and day jump. i.e the Essence makes my D2 Boa look like utter turd. I have heard the Zero DAC a bit a while ago and off my memory I think the Essence is high above the Zero DAC too, although don't take my word for it. Someone claimed in this topic that the Essence sounds better than the Zero DAC on discrete amps. So I think it's clear that the Essence is superior to DACs at its price range, although of course the Zero DAC and D2 Boa has the advantage of being portable/semi portable.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #893 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  1. STX (LT1361 & 2x LM6172) -> Opera (2x Lm6171)
  2. STX (LT1364 & 2x LM6172) -> Opera (2x Lm6171)

Hi Alydon,

I've tried to lookup some of these OP-Amps on the net, and then tried to find them at the local dealer - Newbie as I am, I get easily confused by the fact that my search often returned several versions of the same chip.

Any chance I could talk you into providing me with specific links to the IC's I need, so that I can order them from my local dealer?

Im after your current preferred setup : 1x LT1364 + 2xLM6172

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

//Mordeous

PS: Thanks for the time and effort you've put into this, and sharing with everyone.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #894 of 2,066
Basically your looking for DIP8 version of the chip. Some will come in various packages such as surface mount (SO8) or through hole (Dip8).. I am sure Alydon can relate the exact part # he is using.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #895 of 2,066
Hi There,

This card intrigues me. I have a pair of ATH-AD700's that to my knowledge aren't terribly affected by amplification. Would it be a waste to upgrade to this card?

I'm also interested in the Dolby HP feature since my Audigy 2 ZS lacks headphone surround matrixing.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #896 of 2,066
Hello everybody,

This is my Ist post on this forum. Since I'm interested in a hi-end audio card for my project (details bellow) I found this topic very interesting and read all the 60 pages.

Many many thanx to the users who took time to share our opinions about the card and especially experimenting with OpAmps!

I want to use this card for a CarPC that will play the role of head unit. I guess (being such a new product) that you did't use it for that purpose...anyway I wonder how it will interract with car specific equipment like amplifiers and speakers.

Most probably (even after a possible upgrade) the car system will be composed of Audison LRX amps and Focal speakers (for the moment POlyglass, in the future maybe K2 Power 165).

Reading the specs I didn't find the voltage for RCA out. If i don't make a confusion the Prelude had more voltage for output. I'm interested in this aspect considering that some of the hi-end head units have 5v out for signal.

As at today the "car host" of the card is a system composed by: E7200 Intel CPU, Intel DG45FC miniITX mobo with hardware hi-def decoding capabilities, 120GB hdd and 2 GB ram. I will use M2 ATX 160W DC DC power suply.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #897 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsdjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi There,

This card intrigues me. I have a pair of ATH-AD700's that to my knowledge aren't terribly affected by amplification. Would it be a waste to upgrade to this card?

I'm also interested in the Dolby HP feature since my Audigy 2 ZS lacks headphone surround matrixing.

Every can benefits from good amplification.. some more then others but they all do... the essence would be an upgrade for you simply because it'll have a lot better DAC the what your Audigy 2 employs so you'll notice a sound improvement there... looks like you run the output into that panasonic receiver.. I have no experience with it so I don't know if it would be better/worse of an amp then whats on the card

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #898 of 2,066
If you run the jumpers to the FP HP jack, does it receive the same amplification that the RP HP does? Any reason not to do this?

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #899 of 2,066
Anyone has managed to get i2s out of the Essence?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #900 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mordeous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Alydon,

I've tried to lookup some of these OP-Amps on the net, and then tried to find them at the local dealer - Newbie as I am, I get easily confused by the fact that my search often returned several versions of the same chip.

Any chance I could talk you into providing me with specific links to the IC's I need, so that I can order them from my local dealer?

Im after your current preferred setup : 1x LT1364 + 2xLM6172

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

//Mordeous

PS: Thanks for the time and effort you've put into this, and sharing with everyone.

Hey Mordeous, Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet....!
icon10.gif

All of my opamps I've purchased from Digikey. Anyway here are the links:

LM6172
LT1364

I really suggest you try the LT1361 as well. It's also quite a good opamp for the buffer. It's a little brighter/airier than the LT1364, but doesn't have quite as much body or refinement in the bass region. It's quite possible though that you might prefer it to the LT1364 depending n your equipment, tastes, etc. And it costs less than lunch at McDonald's, so it's not exactly a huge investment.
wink.gif

@nsdjoe, my understanding is that the AD700's sound better than a lot of other headphones when unamped so they don't necessarily require an amp to sound decent. However, they will sound even better when amped so the STX's HP-out won't be a waste to you at all.
smily_headphones1.gif
In fact, it'd be a great way to introduce you to the joys of HP-amping since it's essentialy free w/ the card.
biggrin.gif
And yes, I believe the FP HP jack is also driven by the TI TPA6120A2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back