Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Feb 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #646 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilpanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just installed the card. It sounds great! However I can't control the volume the big knob in the Asus Mixer. I can use the volume control on my keyboard, but the knob on the mixer doesn't work at all. I'm using Vista.

Make sure your using the latest version of the drivers for your OS.

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #647 of 2,066
Alright, so after convincing myself the hiss was from the recordings, I just noticed something...when I finish a song and haven't selected another one, there is a loud hiss...both speakers and headphones have the hiss, so it has to be the card or something, because there isn't any music actually being played...my card is right between my vid. card and the heatsink, so i'm not sure if there is interference or anything...

however, i noticed that on my speakers, the hiss lasts for about 10 seconds after the song has completed, and then shuts off...i don't know what to do, because this is now getting frustrating...is it a defective card, or is this problem due to something else?

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #649 of 2,066
It's not interference. I just installed the card by the bottom of the chassis, far from the GPU and heat sink.

I honestly don't hear much difference between the on-board audio on my motherboard, and this dedicated sound card.

usf09, I heard the same hiss that would last for about 5-10 seconds, and it was most noticeable in the settings and options menu of the Unreal Tournament 3 video game... of all places.

And when I play Sonic Riders, and first have to select to load a game, and confirm to load that game, etc., the same clicking noise appears before each sound effect. Sound effects that confirm that I've confirmed something, etc. The same sound you hear when you shift between headphones and speakers.

So I uninstalled the drivers for this card earlier, and started up with the card removed, and plugged my headphones to the motherboard. Subtle differences in music. Sounds from synthesizers were a little more like gibberish than instruments. Real instruments had a little bit less clarity to them. An odd thing was that with this card, Nirvana's Come As You Are (Flac) starts loud, then drops in volume as the drums and bass kick in, while my motherboard plays it oppositely; starts low, then gets a volume boost when the other instruments come in. And that actually sounded better.

Ok. Listened to a bunch more MP3s and downloaded Flacs, and none produce this spectacular audio this card is supposed to display. Played my own ripped albums, and although they are not bad, there is still noise for half a second at the beginning of every track, when there is supposed to be silence as instruments haven't started playing yet. I'm going to test these headphones at a hi-fi store and see how they play on their best equipment with my own CDs so I can compare it with my own, and see what to do from there...

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #650 of 2,066
I'm using iTunes right now, mostly 256kbps music, except for a lot of classical stuff I got from iTunes which seems to be 96kbps (still has less hiss though than some other quiet songs...)

I just uninstalled my card, reinstalled in a PCI slot, sounded about the same, then read it was bad to install in a PCI slot, so I uninstalled again, put it back in the PCI-e slot, reinstalled drivers and I'm back to square 1...Does no one else have this hiss with the STX? Should I RMA the card and try a new one? It's possible that there was a flaw in the card...I haven't even tried onboard sound to be honest with you, so I have nothing to compare it against...

Also, I'm using HD650s so the imperfections are just enhanced greatly...but, playing music out of my ipod, without an amp mind you, I am not getting as much hiss...the instrument heavy parts of the songs either mask or replace the hiss, but once the song is finished the noise is there, which means something is going on with the card or itunes...i bought a few songs from amazon to try out but I'm getting similar problems...

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #651 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Flopper, what Gain level do you have the amplifier set to?

middle set, 64-300.
The sound is so roomy, and distinct.
Playing the songs, its a whole different way to listen as, the volume is more direct.

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #653 of 2,066
I do not have any hiss on this card it is black, no noise at all.

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #654 of 2,066
You never have any hiss? In between songs, it is completely silent? See that's a problem for me then, because I definitely have the hiss between songs...I will probably RMA the card and try to get a new one...that means I'll be without decent sound for at least a few weaks but I guess it's necessary...

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #655 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by usf09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just uninstalled my card, reinstalled in a PCI slot, sounded about the same, then read it was bad to install in a PCI slot, so I uninstalled again, put it back in the PCI-e slot, reinstalled drivers and I'm back to square 1...Does no one else have this hiss with the STX?

i'm surprised it worked when you installed it in the PCI slot...

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #656 of 2,066
I was surprised too...no degredation of quality but no better either...so i put it back in the correct slot...i'm actually kind of angry that i need to RMA the card, i have a problem with patience...

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #657 of 2,066
Quote:

I was surprised too..

I believe what he meant was that he was amazed you even managed to get it in there. The slots for PCI and PCI-e are completely different. It is physically impossible to shove one card into the other slot without breaking something.

800px-PCI_und_PCIe_Slots.jpg

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #658 of 2,066
Oh, nvm, I wasn't paying attention, it was actually a PCI-e X16...I have two of them on my mobo, I didn't even read the labels, just went with the one that looked like it may fit...

Anyway, I just submitted my RMA to newegg, hopefully will have a new card in, oh 2-3 weeks...it sucks that I'm gonna have to use onboard sound, but what can you do? Hopefully the next one doesn't have any noise problems...

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #659 of 2,066
Quote:

Oh, nvm, I wasn't paying attention, it was actually a PCI-e X16...I have two of them on my mobo, I didn't even read the labels, just went with the one that looked like it may fit...

Anyway, I just submitted my RMA to newegg, hopefully will have a new card in, oh 2-3 weeks...it sucks that I'm gonna have to use onboard sound, but what can you do? Hopefully the next one doesn't have any noise problems...

You might have wanted to try the card in another PC to verify if the card has issues or if it is some type of motherboard/card compatibility problem.
I may have commencted already but I have zero hiss of anytype between tracks. When there is no music ro sound of any kinds the card is dead quite BLACK. Atleast when you get the card back you will have what everybody else has been talking about.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #660 of 2,066
i have a creative usb soundcard, so i am gonna try that out and see if the hiss stops...if it does, then the asus is defective, if it isn't then it has to be the recorded files...we'll see what happens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back