Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Feb 2, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #526 of 2,066
Sure, I have been trying out some commonly known/used audio opamps.

A. BB OPA2134
B. BB OPA2227
C. BB OPA2107

I have other but these are the ones I have been playing with and listening to right now.
I have also been talking with some experts and making a new list of units I personally want to test with this card.

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #527 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, I have been trying out some commonly known/used audio opamps.

A. BB OPA2134
B. BB OPA2227
C. BB OPA2107

I have other but these are the ones I have been playing with and listening to right now.
I have also been talking with some experts and making a new list of units I personally want to test with this card.

Sweet! I've been eyeing all three of those. Looking forward to hearing your impressions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Other ones I've read good things about in other applications are:

OPA2111
OPA2604
AD712
AD746
AD8599*
AD8022*

*These don't come in 8-DIP so an SOIC -> 8-DIP adapter is req'd.

I'll probably pick up a couple of these to try out. They're certainly cheap enough. All of them are <$10 except the 2111 which is ~$13.

I'm afraid my technical knowledge is rather limited, though. Does anyone know if I'd run into any issues using any of these?

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #528 of 2,066
i know the AD8610/AD8620BR are touted as being superior to the LM4562, i'm wondering if anyone can test them as well.

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #530 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The jacks on the back on the Essence STX are 1/4" yes, but they are not made for a guitar input. The Input on this card is Line-In and a Mic-in. I wouldn't connect a guitar to it. The card has not been made for that.
I use guitar Rig all the time but I don't use the STX for input...

Sorry for the delay in replying back, been away!

Thank you for the comments.

Would a guitar input be any different to that of a mic? I'm not really sure what difference it would make... could it damage it then?

What do you use to connect your guitar to your computer Robscix?

I really want better sound but the x-fi front panel is so convenient!

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #531 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stimpy_7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would a guitar input be any different to that of a mic? I'm not really sure what difference it would make... could it damage it then?

You can also connect Essence STX to your mobo's front panel, and the output of a guitar is waaaaaay lower then normal line in (unless it's an acoustic with amp, or you use nasty EMG pickups). You can consider the output as low as a passive mic (no battery).

In this case you may want to select the input mode as mic, still, this baby is made for listening, just like Line6 is made for guitar recording, and X-Fi is made for...uh... can't think of.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #532 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stimpy_7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A guitar input on a device is high imedance and I doubt a Mic input would work properly and if anything, would not give you very good sound at all.
It would be best to get the right tool for the job. You can find guitar interfaces for USB very cheap.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #533 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTrouble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, all audio components related to each other, sometimes it's not exactly better OPs sounded better, cheaper stuff which co-works with other parts well can beat expensive stuff at times.

Yes, very true. I haven't been just plugging in any old opamps I have laying around. I have been reading over spec sheets and looking for improvements to the units used on the card. Your also right that many times a better spec'd opamp might sound worse and a lower spec opamp might have that sound your looking for. It really depends on many factors...

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #535 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is why I'm awaiting the results of your testing with anticipation.

Btw Robscix, does changing the LM4562 opamp affect the SQ of the headphone out or only the RCA outs?

The way I understand it is the LM4562NA affect the RCA's only. When you switch to headphones the relays snap the LM4562 out of the circuit and put the headphone amplifier chip into the circuit. Changing the 2114D's affect both headphones and RCA's out.

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #537 of 2,066
that's interesting ROBSCIX. i would really like for someone to try the Burson discrete opamps in place of the LM4562. that's the setup i'm planning to get.

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #539 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's interesting ROBSCIX. i would really like for someone to try the Burson discrete opamps in place of the LM4562. that's the setup i'm planning to get.

Me too
popcorn.gif

Anyway, would there be any side effect in connecting a power amp directly to the RCAs of the essence?

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #540 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So those would be the ones to also shoot for, especially since the HP amplifier isn't swappable
frown.gif

Yeah I'm definitely interested in seeing what replacing the 2114D opamps does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back