Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Jan 26, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #466 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only swappable opam is the LM4562.

Are you sure? Because from all the photos I've seen, all three OPAMPs seem swappable to me.

Quote:

And yeah you can't use single opamps unless you wanna go down to mono from stereo
smily_headphones1.gif
(if you somehow managed to put it in the socket and not fry it, that is)

Just get a few single-to-dual OPAMP adapter and he should be fine.

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #467 of 2,066
Only problem with that is the added height prevents the use of the EMI shield.

And taking a second look at the pictures, it does seem as if all 3 are swappable. But so far only the LM4562 was swapped out by a user quite a few pages ago.

Now I too am curious as to what these other two do and what would be a better version of them.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #468 of 2,066
Jan 26, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #469 of 2,066
Quote:

The only swappable opam is the LM4562.

And yeah you can't use single opamps unless you wanna go down to mono from stereo
smily_headphones1.gif
(if you somehow managed to put it in the socket and not fry it, that is)

That is not correct. There are 3 opamps on the card, 2 JRC 2114D and 1 LM4562NA. All three opamps can be replaced.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #470 of 2,066
As to the function of these three opamps: This setup is a bit different then what has been available on most consumer cards. The PCM 1792 DAC on the STX is a current output DAC, so the first two opamps -2114 are used as a differential input I/V converter(Current to Voltage) section. The last opamp the LM4562 is a single end buffer.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #471 of 2,066
I already tried the OPA627 (though not on a big adapter, they are pre-soldered to both sides of the adapter I have) if you had read back a couple of pages. It did nothing but decrease detail and add bass quantity. I think something like LT1364 and other Linear Tech opamps might work well here.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #472 of 2,066
I have noticed that one Australian retailer (who has virtually copied the Essence specs straight from the local ASUS distributer website) is indicating that the Essence uses the lower spec Cirrus Logic 5361 ADC rather than the higher spec 5381 used in the earlier full-sized Xonar cards.

The reviews I have seen on the net show it is the 5381 in the Essence but now I am not so sure. These were all pre-production / engineering cards being pre-viewed or reviewed and not neccessarily the final product. I wonder if ASUS are now trying save a few dollars in production examples?

I've now held off my order as I don't want to be the first to find out the Essence won't perform an AD conversion as well as my older Xonar.

ASUS Xonar Essence STX - 7.1 Channel, 124dB SNR, PCI-Ex1 (100792) | Techbuy Australia

If anyone reading this bought one from from a retailer in Australia I would be very interested to know what the ADC chip is.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #473 of 2,066
Pic 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have noticed that one Australian retailer (who has virtually copied the Essence specs straight from the local ASUS distributer website) is indicating that the Essence uses the lower spec Cirrus Logic 5361 ADC rather than the higher spec 5381 used in the earlier full-sized Xonar cards.

EDIT: on second look, it looks like it has a 5381.

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #475 of 2,066
Just installed STX Essence, and had one big disappointment with drivers...
interface way worser then X-Fi, and stability really bad.
Had a bunch of BSOD on WinXP, most of them when was trying to mount .iso image with "Daemon tool"... any one has experience to use Daemon and success with mounting 4_GB images?

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #476 of 2,066
Weird.. it never happened in my system like that, and I think the UI is straitforward to use and easier than that of Creative....

Anyways, UI is subjective, and it might be your systems' issues too, mind letting us know what's your system configuration? maybe we can help...

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #477 of 2,066
how would you define the sound from the Xonar? warm sound? Cold etc?

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #478 of 2,066
warm -- but very natural sounding, lush, seductive, and musical (or are those all just synonyms of each other?). it is a little lacking in dynamics and sparkle in its stock config, but improves with an outboard linear psu and swapping the op amps.

it is well worth the money for two channel listening-- not sure abiout games or anything else-- don;t care either!

kust my 2 cents

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #479 of 2,066
Well, according to the box, all 3 op amps are replaceable to "tune up your unique sound". In any event, single and dual op amps have entirely different pin outs and there's no way putting a single in a dual socket is going to pass any usable signal (stereo or mono). In some cases (a 5534 for example) you will blow up the chip. Back to the matter at hand: what are the 3 chips actually doing? One is probably the current to voltage converter for the D to A, and at least one is driving the RCA outputs (left and right). I may have to break out a magnifying glass and figure out what's really going on here. Also, I'm on day two of waiting for that driver download (the servers are still "busy").

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #480 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw that photo about a week ago and just assumed it said 5381. Now you've looked at it and think it says 5361. Now I look at it again and I have no idea!

I bought in Canada and it's 5381 here. I don't see a reason it would differ in other regions but you can always call your supplier to make sure. They can check it for you through the plastic window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back