Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Feb 20, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #841 of 2,066
Ok, so I've been waiting for the card to burn-in to post my impressions. I think it's been long enough. I'm using the RCA Line-out to feed an M^3 amp (see sig). I tested with FLAC/320kbps MP3's through Foobar2000 0.9.6.2 WASAPI 24-bit enabled. 24/96khz was selected in the Windows soundcard properties. Headphones used were the DT990 Pro and the HD650. My computer PSU is the Corsair 520HX.

In short, there is a noticeable increase in SQ over the HT Omega Claro Plus+, and every other soundcard I've owned (see profile). The soundstage is very large, and it's the first thing you notice. The sound is very holographic and layered and several times during the course of my testing, I had to check if my speakers were on. This happens with me sometimes, but with the STX the effect was occurring much more frequently...which is a good thing.

The second thing I noticed was that the STX had a smooth sound, there was no hint of harshness that I've encountered in every soundcard thus far (the Prelude got close to this smoothness, but not quite). The card is also not as bassy as my previous Claro Plus+ but the bass is noticeably tighter and more well defined. Surprisingly, although there's slightly less bass on the STX, it his more impact and slam than the Claro Plus+. I think this is a result of the quicker transients I'm hearing on the STX as well as the faster attack. I have both cards installed and tested them side by side for the assurance that these differences are real and not placebo. In fact, the differences aren't just real, they're clearly audible.

As a result of the smoother and more neutral sound, the midrange and thus, voices, are more prominent and there's a better sense of space around voices.
I'm also pleased to report that the background is completely black with the soundcard + amp volume maxed out.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #842 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so I've been waiting for the card to burn-in to post my impressions. I think it's been long enough. I'm using the RCA Line-out to feed an M^3 amp (see sig).

In short, there is a noticeable increase in SQ over the HT Omega Claro Plus+, and every other soundcard I've owned (see profile). The soundstage is very large, and it's the first thing you notice. The sound is very holographic and layered and several times during the course of my testing, I had to check if my speakers were on. This happens with me sometimes, but with the STX the effect was occurring much more frequently...which is a good thing.

The second thing I noticed was that the STX had a smooth sound, there was no hint of harshness that I've encountered in every soundcard thus far (the Prelude got close to this smoothness, but not quite). The card is also not as bassy as my previous Claro Plus+ but the bass is noticeably tighter and more well defined. I have both cards installed and tested them side by side for the assurance that these differences are real and not placebo. In fact, the differences aren't just real, they're clearly audible.

As a result of the smoother and more neutral sound, the midrange and thus, voices, are more prominent and there's a better sense of space around voices.
I'm also pleased to report that the background is completely black with the soundcard + amp volume maxed out.

I had the same impression of the card coming from the Xfi-Music Extreme. I have a Paradigm Millenia 300 setup in my living room but I cant fully enjoy them all the time for various reasons.
So I set out to try and find a good setup that would come close to the Paradigm’s without interrupting anyone around me, and the HD650 combo with this card has giving me exactly what I set out to find. By the way what software are you using for playback. thx for your impressions.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #843 of 2,066
@Dionysus, Your enjoying the HD650's with the Essence STX?
Are you having any difficulties powering the HD650's with the STX?
I am just asking for verification as some seem to have trouble accepting the fact that the STX can power the HD650s properly and with great sonic quality.

For my player, I use Winamp.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #845 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dionysus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way what software are you using for playback. thx for your impressions.

I mentioned that in my impressions post. Foobar2000 0.9.6.2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How close is your card to the video card?

There is literally 1cm between the Essence STX and my 8800GT + Zalman VF1000 cooler.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #846 of 2,066
Quote:

There is literally 1cm between the Essence STX and my 8800GT + Zalman VF1000 cooler.

When I plugged in a card that close, there were EMI distortions.

Even if the Asus one is shielded, won't the heat from the video card make the sound card too hot? Because unless you use water coolers, the heatsink becomes very hot.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #847 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Dionysus, Your enjoying the HD650's with the Essence STX?
Are you having any difficulties powering the HD650's with the STX?
I am just asking for verification as some seem to have trouble accepting the fact that the STX can power the HD650s properly and with great sonic quality.

For my player, I use Winamp.

I don’t have any issue's driving my HD650 just set the Impedance properly. I believe it's 300-600 ohm. I usually set my volume 3 quarters of the way up, and its loud real loud but with excellent sq excellent detail etc.
By the way I have read some of the posts with regards to the STX/650, and I have responded the HD650/STX combo is the real deal.

I also tried the HD595 but they seemed over matched by STX so I return them to JR. The moment the HD650 arrived, without burn in it was like now that’s what I was searching for the detail of the mids the tight base, and the crisp highs all came to life.
I’ am thoroughly enjoying the combo again if anyone is sitting on the fence you will not be disappointed.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #848 of 2,066
I use the PCI-E 16x slot the pci-ex1 is to close to the video card to install.

The pci-ex16 is fine and works well for me since I dont have a crossfire or sli setup. My gtx295 plays well with this setup and my Ultra 800w ps is great.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #849 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dionysus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the PCI-E 16x slot the pci-ex1 is to close to the video card to install.

The pci-ex16 is fine and works well for me since I dont have a crossfire or sli setup. My gtx295 plays well with this setup and my Ultra 800w ps is great.

So you have to have an SLI card with one video card to install the thing? That seems a very expensive option. I mean even with an SLI board if you have 2 cards, or quad SLI board if you have 4 cards, then there will again be no room to install it.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #850 of 2,066
Goit... at the time when I made the mobo purchase I wanted the stable Intel platform for multi gpu's I had a dual 4850 setup ATI. over the last month or so I switched to Nvidia because of ATI CAT driver issues. So It wasnt a waste of money I now have better performance and stablity with the card switch plus the slot to still facilitate a dedicated Audio card.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #851 of 2,066
Is there any one from Taiwan here?
Anyone know where i can get it in Taiwan?

It's ridiculous that Asus is a Taiwan company and no carrier is taking this baby here.
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #853 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wartank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what settings are you guys mostly using? ie. only dolby headphones on or dolby headphones + 7.1 shifter on or just pure hi-fi mode?

None of them. The less processing, the better.

Edit: Using Hi-Fi mode will actually be best for SQ, since it disables all processing.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #854 of 2,066
Feb 21, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #855 of 2,066
Quote:

I mentioned that in my impressions post. Foobar2000 0.9.6.2.

Hi. Thanks for posting your impression on te card.

Is your Essence STX placed above your graphic card or under? and How effective is the cooling by the zalman cooler?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back